Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key fob issue

Kbald

Hi all. My keyfob has died and no longer unlocks / locks the car. Happened the other day and the key still works and can open and start the car with it but think the fob needs re syncimg with the car. Ive seen a couple of suggestions to turn the car on and press the fob buttons twice and do the same with the key in the lock but neither worked. Does anyone know how to resync the key to the car?

Rule of thumb ... you need a new key fob im afraid .

Ive seen posts about turning the battery around , a sequence of turning in the door lock .. which for the life of me i cant find on here but ive never had any joy .. some people say it works .. ive not had any luck and have always ended up replaceing the fob.

A 997 can be resynced .. key in ignition and press / hold a button for 5 secs .. not the same with a 996 im afraid :(

key will still start the car as thats a seperate bit .. it just wont unlock it .

I had that problem and luckily these guys sorted it for £50 including new plastic key head and battery.
Send them an email or give 'em a ring describing your symptoms. Better than £200 from Porsche. :thumb:

Not the answer i was hoping for :sad:

Wonder why it would just randomly stop working, very strange.

Thanks for the info marky911 £50 sounds much better than £200. So do you send it off and they reprogram it or something?

Thanks Kbald for starting this thread, I have exactly the same issue with my spare key. If honest, I had forgotten I had the issue, as its only the spare key, so its been sat in a drawer since I bought the car, but would like to get it fixed.

Marky911 - thats a great recommendation, I will drop them an email! Will definitely be cheaper than an OPC!

Yep lads just tell them your symptoms and they'll know if it's a part they can sort.

My key stopped working the central locking. The red led didn't light up or anything despite a new battery. It would still start the car though.
They refurbished the circuit board using the original transponder hence no need for reprogramming by Porsche.

They may or may not be able to sort yours but it's worth a phone call.
I sent mine off and had it back within 2 days.

I was replying at the same time as you Wasz. That's an even cheaper fix if it's that.

Thanks all.

I have a new keyhead i ordered and it came with two new buttons but the original flashes red still so assume its working still. Will make enquiries to send it to someone who knows what they are doing as i would win the title for the worlds worst solderer. Had to buy a brand new dishwasher after i tried to repair the circuit board on the old one wth nothing more than a soldering iron and youtube.

As DeMort says...its not a given that a you can re-sync your key.

Had the same problem, lights up on the fob when pressing the buttons but nothing happening to the car... key still opens / closes the car manually and starts engine.

I sent mine to Remote Key Repairs...paid my £50 and when the key returned....nothing had changed and couldn't sync to the car.

If you read their small print they will not refund if like me your unlucky!

Be warned!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back