Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant loss

Chuckmiester

Silverstone
Drove down to the nec for the classic car show on Saturday from Barnsley roughly 90 miles each way. Checked the oil and water yesterday and it had used around a cup full. There are no signs of any leaks anywhere. I'm thinking the worst and wondering if it could be the head gasket that's leaking. There doesn't appear to be any water in the oil yet. The engine was rebuilt around 5 years ago at strasse in Leeds we're they put 6 new liners in. Does anyone have any more ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance :dont know:

How old are the radiators?. Could also be the header tank.

MC

MisterCorn said:
How old are the radiators?. Could also be the header tank.

MC
radiators are around 4 years old. I replaced both of them. I thought header tank but it's holding pressure a for a good hour at red car has been turned of.

Never compare water level until you know the system is fully down to ambient temperature - which will easily take over 5 hours. The level fluctuates a fair amount during the heating/cooling cycle due to heat expansion.

I only ever check my coolant level when the car has been stood over night unused.

alex yates said:
Never compare water level until you know the system is fully down to ambient temperature - which will easily take over 5 hours. The level fluctuates a fair amount during the heating/cooling cycle due to heat expansion.

I only ever check my coolant level when the car has been stood over night unused.
level was checked 24 hours after the car was parked up.

:thumb:

Have you checked your footwell carpets? Although your heater usually gives off a wiff if that's leaking.

Best way to find a leak is leave the car runbing on the drive for 20 minutes after already up to temp. Pressire is at its highest then and everything is fully expanded so any micro-crack in your systems will them leak coolant.

Most likely a small crack in a rad or a weeping hose joint.

I think Alex's assessment is more likely than head gasket etc.

I had a hose clip that needed nipping up. I was loosing half a cup of coolant every time I drove the car. There was no signs of leaking at all. I.e. nothing under the car. The water must have just been evaporating off.

A clue might be temperature fluctuations on the guage rather than steady 82 Deg. Which may point towards the system not fully pressurising due to a slight leak.

Demort might be able to confirm, but I presume a garage may be able to pressure the system to leak detect???

Jamesx19 said:
I think Alex's assessment is more likely than head gasket etc.

I had a hose clip that needed nipping up. I was loosing half a cup of coolant every time I drove the car. There was no signs of leaking at all. I.e. nothing under the car. The water must have just been evaporating off.

A clue might be temperature fluctuations on the guage rather than steady 82 Deg. Which may point towards the system not fully pressurising due to a slight leak.

Demort might be able to confirm, but I presume a garage may be able to pressure the system to leak detect???
no temperature fluctuations at all. I had it running on the drive for about half an hour and no leaks were visible. There was still pressure in the tank an hour later when I took the cap off. The cap is very tight to get off.

How often do you do a 180 mile round trip? Could it be an air pocket that finally got out?
See if it does it again, then worry about it. If it does I'd start by rigorously checking all connections, especially those you disturbed four years ago, and looking for congealed coolant around the joins.

Griffter said:
How often do you do a 180 mile round trip? Could it be an air pocket that finally got out?
See if it does it again, then worry about it. If it does I'd start by rigorously checking all connections, especially those you disturbed four years ago, and looking for congealed coolant around the joins.
not often it gets a good run like that now we have a 15 month old and another on the way. :D

Had a look at the coolant cap this morning and the part number finishes in 01. Might be worth getting the newer version before doing anything else.

If there is white deposits around the cap on the bottle and engine bay trim, this is an indication that the lid is leaking. It only costs about £20 so it is a cheap place to start.

There's no evidence of any residue around the cap.ive not noticed it leaking before now though. I don't know how much coolant would have to leak past the cap to leave a mark?

Can't see it being anything to do with the cap if it's holding pressure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back