Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Koni TA Sport shocks

Looking good, very similar as you'd expect to the ride height on the Eibach springs, time for me to add to my winter/spring jobs list and get the dampers ordered :) :thumb:

Ride height looks perfect , aalways nice when no big extra surprises of a lot other parts needed , :thumbs:

Could you possibly measure the distance from the centre of the wheel to the edge of the arch so I can compare, mine is lowered too by a previous owner, but I scrape on lots of things so would like to know what drop I have compared to your set up

GMG mk2 said:
^^^^

Ouch baby, very ouch.

Remember, before you judge a man you should walk a mile in his shoes....

That way, when you judge him you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

I like my own shoes thanks. Car are for going miles in.

so judge a person by their shoes you are saying?...cheap shoes....

Just back from a c.200 miles drive. Morning hoon, followed by a trip to Brent Cross and back along motorway and A roads.

As well as the springs and shocks, it's aligned to X74 spec... so a bit more camber and a bit less toe at the rear. Shocks are set to 1 up from full soft (rebound adjustable).

Thoughts...

1st thing I did was check the tyre pressures as it was very hard over sharp bumps. Found rears were on 46psi and fronts on 39! Set them to 38/32, and later checked them at another garage to make sure the pressure gauge wasn't reading wrong.

Immediate and vast improvement in ride quality over rough surfaces - new suspension can't stop the thumping at the rear over short, sharp transverse bumps/ridges, but it's loads better than it was. Steering also much nicer.

Over longer bumps and compressions, it's very good... even at speed, it soaks them up nicely. I am going to sort uprated ARB's (already have a MO30 front bar on the way and looking for a rear bar to match) as I'd like less roll at the rear when turning in.

Together with the Cup wheel, it now feels much sharper, and much more responsive.... certainly doesn't feel like a car with anywhere near 170k miles on it :)

Happy I made the right choice give the budget... parts, fitting and alignment c.£1,700.

asterix_the_gaul said:
Could you possibly measure the distance from the centre of the wheel to the edge of the arch so I can compare, mine is lowered too by a previous owner, but I scrape on lots of things so would like to know what drop I have compared to your set up

It measures 650mm from road to arch at the front front, 660mm rear. On 225/40/18 & 265/35/18.

Not had any issues with the front scraping, even when I hit a big depression at high speed with the OS front and the suspension hit the bump stop (didn't see it until too late to avoid).

coullstar said:
Sounds all pretty much what I expected, good to get confirmation. If can report back in a little while that would be great?

Going to change rebound at all to see if it drives better?

No problems... I'd been driving the Touareg most days as it's so comfy/easy to drive, but since I had the shocks fitted it's not left the drive. Got a good run to the Bicester Scramble next weekend too, so I'll let you know how my thoughts progress.

I'll leave the rebound as is at the moment. I want to change the ARB's before I make any changes as I think a bit of extra rear roll stiffness will significantly improve the handling... already picked up a front MO30 bar, just need to find a suitable rear to go with it - either a rear MO30, or if I can't get one, an after market bar.

I'm also back to seriously thinking about the forged wheels I mentioned on your thread... I'm not 100% convinced on the aesthetics, but a c.33% weight saving should give a decent improvement in wheel control.

Update after c.1k miles...

Other than a 500 mile round trip to Liverpool last week, the Touareg still hasn't left the drive. The lure of heated seats and steering wheel hasn't been enough to get me out of the 996... it just feels so nice.

Yesterday, I went to meet a mate who's just bought a 996. 90 miles of motorway went smoothly enough, and gave access to some of the brilliant A & B roads around Kimbolton, including the B660 of Evo fame.

The way it handles rough, bumpy B roads is spot on - just the right balance of compliance and control at speed.

Week Monday I'm having rennline semi solid engine mounts and updated ARBs fitted, which I expect/hope will give it an even better feeling of control, particularly rear weight transfers.

Maybe Ohlins would feel even better, but at £1k, the Koni kit is fabulous value.

Good result! That does sit very nicely. :thumb:

Seems like a decent sensibly priced solution.

Stotty said:

Other than a 500 mile round trip to Liverpool last week, the Touareg still hasn't left the drive. The lure of heated seats and steering wheel hasn't been enough to get me out of the 996... it just feels so nice.

Yesterday, I went to meet a mate who's just bought a 996. 90 miles of motorway went smoothly enough, and gave access to some of the brilliant A & B roads around Kimbolton, including the B660 of Evo fame.

The way it handles rough, bumpy B roads is spot on - just the right balance of compliance and control at speed.

Week Monday I'm having rennline semi solid engine mounts and updated ARBs fitted, which I expect/hope will give it an even better feeling of control, particularly rear weight transfers.

Maybe Ohlins would feel even better, but at £1k, the Koni kit is fabulous value.

:thumb: 8) I managed to get a good deal on just the shocks, currently on back order but likewise I'll be fitting these along with uprated anti roll bars

Stotty said:
asterix_the_gaul said:

It measures 650mm from road to arch at the front front, 660mm rear. On 225/40/18 & 265/35/18).

Thanks for that, took the measuring tape and online tyre calculator to mine this afternoon, I got 650mm front 655mm rear.

Now adjusting for my tyre sizes 235/35/19, 265/35/19, I'm 5mm lower at the front but a big 18mm lower at the rear- nearly a 50mm drop from standard so I'm guessing the rears have had it: there certainly seems to be some pretty visible neg camber on the rears as one might expect.
Might explain the squeaking and hitting the bump stops at the rear

jezgreen911 said:
Stotty said:

:thumb: 8) I managed to get a good deal on just the shocks, currently on back order but likewise I'll be fitting these along with uprated anti roll bars

Where did you get yours from?

best price I found recently on the Koni sport kit was 1K delivered from larkspeed, stotty wrote had found a deal on eBay.de just under 1k but I can't find that, maybe the exchange rate has changed things

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back