Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel options

Anyone fitted an OMP? £45 new Vs £200 for the momo. Dont look too different!?

Ian

Hi Ian,

You can get a momo for £130 plus £55 for the boss. I'm
Guessing the OMP still requires a boss that's extra too.

I'd stretch to the momo as it's what Porsche Motorsport actually used for the 996GT3 cup cars, hence OE. Plus all the parts are available for easy fitment, e.g. Pin to run wire for horn, brass contact pad to get power to horn via momo boss, etc.

You can do the whole thing brand new for sub £250 which is a fair chunk of cash but better than the official Momo for Porsche with Porsche engraved in, which now costs £550 due to recent price hikes.

Here's mine in my grey cabin.

Marky911 said:
Hi Ian,

You can get a momo for £130 plus £55 for the boss. I'm
Guessing the OMP still requires a boss that's extra too.

I'd stretch to the momo as it's what Porsche Motorsport actually used for the 996GT3 cup cars, hence OE. Plus all the parts are available for easy fitment, e.g. Pin to run wire for horn, brass contact pad to get power to horn via momo boss, etc.

You can do the whole thing brand new for sub £250 which is a fair chunk of cash but better than the official Momo for Porsche with Porsche engraved in, which now costs £550 due to recent price hikes.

Here's mine in my grey cabin.

That looks superb! I've recovered my own wheel, but id consider changing it for that. What size is it?

Marky

Is that price new or 2nd hand? Cannot find any new ones for that price region! Post a link please if new.

Ian

Cup wheel is 350mm

Thanks sim, the wheel feels great. Of course I fitted mine along with bucket seats so the feel of my car was transformed, but the wheel alone is still a good mod.

Paynewright, they were all brand new. I've learned over the years that I'm never happy with used car parts, despite trying many times.

Momo boss from here. £55. - No issues at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Momo-Ste...=item1eec75f7ac:g:bPQAAOSwCMFaIsbt:rk:19:pf:0

Now you may be out of luck with the wheel itself. I bought mine via eBay off a nice guy, but he's not listing anything at the moment.

His eBay name is choccybob spelt exactly like that, all lower case.

He's a marshall at various circuits so I guess he has a contact somewhere. I'd definitely message him and ask if he's getting anymore.

I paid £130 for mine but Craig had to pay £135 off him a month or two later. It was only a couple of months ago though so he may still get them.

Here's when I fitted mine. A rough overview but not extensive. I've put links to other threads though about other aspects of the fitting. It's easy.
It should bring up page 13 of my thread -

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240

Just to join in, I've tried to make my major controls all fit with one another:

30888455267_fe5b4c3826_b.jpg

Does the brass contact ring come with the wheel? If not where can I buy one?

Thanks

The contact ring is built into the bottom face of the boss.
You then buy the contact pad from Porsche which sends power through the ring once fitted up.

:thumb:

I've just done mine with an omp wheel. Went by markys thread for directions.
All the same, hub, horn contact etc.
Bought my wheel 2nd hand on eBay, think £28 delivered. Scrubbed up almost perfect. Very happy with it.
Got the horn push from bellavalonte for £35.
All in all it was less than £140.
Absolute bargain

Attachments

• 82055326_481a_4c5d_9344_0f5d16094ee9_729.jpeg
    82055326_481a_4c5d_9344_0f5d16094ee9_729.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,858
Looking at Model 07's at some retailers and they specify 'Motorsport Only'! Is that just to mitigate against personal injury as you are removing the airbag?

Also, do people declare to their insurers?

Ian

The wheel looks great :thumb:

I'm not sure about the motorsport bit! But I did tell my Insurance co when I changed mine and they just noted the change. No comments or fee. I'm with classic line.

Just another thought - what do people do come MOT time? Does removal of a vehicle safety system deem it an instant fail?

Ian

Paynewright said:
Just another thought - what do people do come MOT time? Does removal of a vehicle safety system deem it an instant fail?

Ian

I had to put airbag wheel back on for MOT as he failed it ,even tho no airbag fault lights , 10 min job to swop over

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back