Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 sat nav

blue2

this has prob been talked about loads on here but i cant find a answer. im not interested in an upgrade but i do want my sat nav to work on my gen1 997. its not showing my current location but it does sense that the car is moving as the map also moves. does anyone know what is broken? ie the head unit or the sat nav drive? can it be fixed or do i need a replacement?

Have you had the window screen replaced? Same thing happened to mine last year and it was something to do with an antener that was damaged or not refitted properly by auto glass. Was easily fixed by Dove House during a service. Good luck.

It's the Fakra (sp?) connector between the nav and screen.
The reason the position seems to move is due to the nav unit using speed sensors to calculate your position by dead-reconing from last sat fix.

I had the same issue where the car thought it was in the north sea somewhere. It turned out to be the GPS aerial required replacing.
The unit itself is under the panel where the wiper motor is.

Clanky said:
I had the same issue where the car thought it was in the north sea somewhere. It turned out to be the GPS aerial required replacing.
The unit itself is under the panel where the wiper motor is.

Exactly the same here. I had the windscreen replaced and the Sat Nav then showed I was in the North Sea! :?: In my case it was the connector which was not attached correctly to the GPS antenna (which is situated under the windscreen wiper scuttle panel on the passenger side). Worth checking. :thumb:

Yep as others have said, first check the FAKRA connector under the scuttle panel (just above the pollen filter).

You can reach your hand in there and see if the connector is secure but I suspect if no luck then you will have to pull the scuttle panel off and see if the fitment is strong if it is and also tight at the PCM side....then its likely to be your actual GPS antenna.

It is this one https://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/DSC09926_175815.JPG

Oh and if you just wanted to add bluetooth connectivity inc phone, then look at the LAPOWER unit on Ebay/Amazon. It is about £120, does the job of the Dension at a 1/4 of the price.

I fitted mine yesterday.

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2018_11_09_at_1618001_210.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2018_11_09_at_1618001_210.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 4,041
Oh and if you just wanted to add bluetooth connectivity inc phone, then look at the LAPOWER unit on Ebay/Amazon. It is about £120, does the job of the Dension at a 1/4 of the price.

I fitted mine yesterday.

Very, very interesting Matt! :thumbs:

Do you know if there are any differences when fitting this to a car with BOSE? Also, I see they coming out of Hong Kong, any delivery issues?

Thanks, Tony

TonyC911 said:

I fitted mine yesterday.

Very, very interesting Matt! :thumbs:

Do you know if there are any differences when fitting this to a car with BOSE? Also, I see they coming out of Hong Kong, any delivery issues?

Thanks, Tony

There are lots of examples of this working with the BOSE system.

For info mine was a non bose PCM 2.1 with telephone and nav

The long and short of it, is that this unit runs over the fibre optics/MOST connection, so you need to ensure you have something that resulted in this being enabled at the factory such as the CD changer. If not you can get this turned on via PIWIS.

There are a lots of nuances with these, if you dont have a CD changer I 'think' if you press the cd button a couple of times and it comes up with 'no CD changer' then you have that loop enabled as its looking for the drive. This was the case for me, and I believe a solid test.

HUGE thread over here about it https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1030470-lapower-bluetooth-18.html

Oh and actually mine came in about a week with a royal mail label on it, not sure if they have an EU warehouse or just a fast route from HK.

They also sell on Amazon, so whichever protection/platform you prefer.

I personally bought direct for £105 (just message him, and say you know he does deals off platform), but of course you lose the reassurance of Amazon/Ebay's involvement.

Provideing the GPS antenna is ok .. goto nav and look at status .. it should say something like 7 satalites but if it finds any then its ok then do a factory reset in the nav system as this can sometimes get it all working .

Instructions if needed are in the PCM manual .

deMort said:
Provideing the GPS antenna is ok .. goto nav and look at status .. it should say something like 7 satalites but if it finds any then its ok then do a factory reset in the nav system as this can sometimes get it all working .

Instructions if needed are in the PCM manual .
it says no satalites found.

Found loose cable but where does it connect

Having read through the thread i seem to have found that the sat nav cable is disconnected. I had a feel around the pollen filter but could not find the other end that this needs to connect to. Looking at the pictures it seems to be a blue connector? any idea where this is? There does also seem to be some damage to the connector that i have got?

Help appreciated

Attachments

• img_0298_109.jpg
    img_0298_109.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,046
  • img_0297_346.jpg
    img_0297_346.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,046
  • img_0299_920.jpg
    img_0299_920.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,046
  • img_0300_110.jpg
    img_0300_110.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,046
:agree:

There is a picture on the link above which shows you the location of the gps antenna .

I Can say from experience that you will need a new lead running as that one has had it .. any damage to the blue plastic connector and it will not locate into the gps correctly .

Its a mission to fit this with it all in situ so may well be easier to remove the scuttle panel or at least lift it up a bit .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back