Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If Not A Porsche, Then What.....?

kas750 said:
alex yates said:
I'm not convinced on these horror stories with Astons. Watching Les' journey with interest.
Indeed.
I am doing quite a bit of research and it you can buy a car with a few miles,say 40-50k that has been regularly fettled and that has evidence of a recent clutch and brakes then you are good to go.

According to a dealer I know, DB9's are about as low as they will go and prices should start rising very soon.

My DB9 was a one owner Aston approved car from Chilton Aston, with a years warranty in mint condition, 32K on the clock, a wedge of receipts etc and was up for £45K.

MaxA said:
I'm not a Merc fan but if not a Lotus, those AMG GTs sound badass at the 24h.
:redcard: using the term badass is banned. :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
But if it's not the Porsche brand, then it's a 458 for me.

There's quite a list of people who've gone 911 - AM V V8 - 911, the last two bits quite quickly. The V12 quite maybe..

If you're lucky enough to have a few different cars for different things then should think extreme Porsche (first love and all that) then cover the daily duties with something relatively stealth and suitably antisocial like a C63, M3,4,5 etc. Buy cars over three years old and have some fun trying different things with relatively low depreciation curves perhaps.

This is interesting, a fellow member pointed me toward this thread as I have been away from the forum for a few days.
Tomorrow morning I'm up bright and early and off to test drive a McLaren 570S, I've not really taken much interest in changing out of the Turbo but a few recent 'happenings' have made me think it's time for a change.
I'm not going to say much more as I haven't had any driving time in the car and it might not tick the boxes but we'll see.
I will P/ex the Turbo and out of interest I've been offered almost what I paid for it 17 months ago and 7k miles later.
Believe me the McLaren will have to be very good to sway me from the Turbo, the Gen 2 has to be the most all round capable Supercar ever.
Will post pics and comments tomorrow evening.

Les said:
According to a dealer I know, DB9's are about as low as they will go and prices should start rising very soon.

Does he wear the same rose coloured specs as Jonttt :dont know:

Having been here, and there, for the last year - looking and driving replacement cars for the Turbo, I have come to the conclusion, its a very very difficult car to replace. Especially when you have spent so much time and effort in getting it where you want.

The only real viable options and similar / add money that after a test drive were also ran where:

F430 F1 (had drama and nice noise, not the nicest looking fezza, and not fast enough, not sold on the box)
Aston DBS (I really like this, more to do with James Bond though)
R8 V10 (good car, not much to fault other than its an Audi and I find an RS6 cooler for some reason)
Gallardo (looking old now, feel old and have engine issues)

Never been into Macs, they leave me cold and affordable ones are just not exciting to look at and are just so steep to run.

I chose to keep it for the time being and mess about with other cars that are good fun like M3's and Evo's !!

It certainly takes the mind away from replacing the Porka.

Hmm that's interesting, having not owned a McLaren yet you think they are expensive to run, maybe you could give us an example of the costs involved as I'm looking at buying one it would be helpful.

alex yates said:
I'm not convinced on these horror stories with Astons. Watching Les' journey with interest.

Mine hasn't really cost me much, although I did have a warranty for the first year which would have cost me about £1500 and resulted in saving a bill of around £1000....

From what I have read and my limited experience they either cost a fortune or next to nothing. A friend of mine ran a V8 Vantage 4.3l manual for around 4 years and only had routine servicing required. Apparently the auto box on these is a bit of a dog, drive an auto and a manual before deciding.

MC

easternjets said:
Hmm that's interesting, having not owned a McLaren yet you think they are expensive to run, maybe you could give us an example of the costs involved as I'm looking at buying one it would be helpful.

vroomvroom has one.

I believe after 5yrs old annual warranty is £5k and you don't have one without warranty. Servicing can only be done by McLaren and parts are strictly controlled to the extent the paint is made from a secret formula known only to the 'eunuchs of the kasbah' and can only be purchased from them at an extortionate rate. :roll:

There's a multi-millionaire in Brighton called Robbie Raggio who owns Hove car wash as well as a few other investments who brought a new McLaren MP4-12C to go alongside his 458 Italia and AMG's.

He's quite often at his main car wash in hove and loves to tell the story of how bad the whole experience was.

Apparently, He had so many problems with it that were ignored by McLaren's poor customer service who even tried to make him pay £20K towards the replacement and repair of the faulty items on the car.

It got so bad that he had to get a lawyer and started proceedings against them.
In the end, they settled out of court by buying his car back off him.

So if you're going down the McLaren route I'd talk to lots of owners first, just in case this was not an isolated incident.

Found a clip of his old car. Did sound nice.

I'd go DBS too with the touchtronic as a good daily alternative. Its not going to be as good I doubt but it looks better imo. I had an AMV8 when they came out and done 12k in the first year, no mechanical reliability issues but plenty of electronic issues.

Mcl are doing the MP4 zero favours with limiting who can service the vehicles.

Well I've been and driven the car and I'm quite simply amazed at how good the car is to drive, it's simply stunning, the steering, the suspension is so smooth and the gearbox is brilliant. In track mode it's about as close as you could get to a race/track car on the road, put it into normal mode and it's as civilised as any road car.
Now to try and dispel the myths, servicing is annually and a minor service is circa £650 and a full major service with all fluids, filters etc changed is £1400. Yes the paint is a closely guarded secret and is only done by McLaren. The early cars 4c's had a few issues and these have been designed out so the cars now if well looked after are very reliable, this isn't dealer talk this is owners as well.
The warranty is 3 years and covers everything, after that to renew it for a year is £2500. Tyres are P Zero's and more or less the same cost as for a 997 turbo.

As for the customer service and backup, I'll draw a comparison. I know two people in our group who have had an IMS failure on their cars, a fully known and acknowledged problem, cost to repair £10,000, contribution from Porsche £0.00. Every manufacturer will have a customer who is p***ed off with them.
My current car is a beautiful, fast and capable car that I've loved owning but the 570s is a totally different car and driving experience.

Sounds like you're found the perfect car for your needs.

It is unfair to compare the new McLaren's to their older cars. The new ones get very good reviews.

I really like them too but my concern is depreciation. McLaren releases new models every year so unless it is a Senna, LT or P1 you should expect to make a loss.

A fitting video released by EVO today :)

Yes depreciation is my one 'niggle' that's bothering me, the 650s has lost a shed load in it's first few years. New they were a tad over £200k now you can get a two yr old one with under 5k miles for £125k.
Had a long chat with a well known Supercar dealer and he told me that he has a customer who bought a brand new pre reg Lambo Huracan for list less £40k and the McLaren 720s can be got for list less £50k.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back