Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Endoman said:
Great work Trev, I'd love to call round some time and have a look at the wop, probably borrow your brother as well. The suspension looks new, is it?

John your welcome to pop round anytime, just drop me a text, and in fact I need some of your expertise as far as the A/C goes please.

Some of the suspension arms are new and some are refurbed and painted up, all new bushings however.

Trev

Great work Trev. Following on Instagram.

Baz

For those interested, a bit more progress...

Rebuilt the rear spoiler, it needed a new wall as the old one was chipped, quite fiddly to put back together especially when you didn't take it apart.

7lg7zr6.jpg

You can see the old pipes in this photo and the gearbox flange ready for the new driveshafts.
nBzG4qw.jpg

You can see the various heat shields on this one, with brand new RSR's from Gert. The exhaust bolts are particularly shyte and my previous ones had rotted right through so I've gone with stainless items this time round.

xGSiuFs.jpg

There's certainly a sequence to putting this lot back together, most of the heat shields are new, one or two I just cleaned up. My philosophy is to preserve as much of the original car as I can but only if the parts work functionally and not an eyesore.

Current order in with OPC to replace a few of the original stickers that were removed due to the repaint, such as.

XyTwBjG.png

These springs are the same items, MO33, obviously the 20 years supporting the rear of my Targa has took its toll and reduced in length. I've had too order new rear baffles and bump stops.

I've also took a trip to a local (ish) Zinc plating firm in Leigh so looking forward to getting all shiny bits back and fit into the engine bay.

wXKL1XJ.jpg

Loving it Trev.

Rear axle getting built up here with new disc and refurbed calliper

164iEDe.jpg

The oil tank feed and return pipes here, a couple of new Jubilee clips and a new seal on the top pipe required, you don't want leaks here!.

MNS8Oj7.jpg

New RSR mufflers from Gert made from new Porsche items....hopefully ensure a sweet sound :)

2pdd20o.jpg

New stainless bolts here, originals were completely shot, I have a question about how the exhaust bolts together, where do the spacers go between the pipes?, I have two at home but cannot figure out where they're used, between CAT and muffler or between mufflers and tips???, either way they don't seem to it or makes sense :?:

Any advice appreciated.

Trev

This is a fantastic thread. I doff my hat to you!

Do you happen to know how much the engine lid and ancillaries (spoiler, motor etc) weigh? Thanks.

Just sent you a Whatsapp from a service manual. If that doesn't help, a grown up will be along shortly, I'm sure.
ATB
Ian

Have you fitted new CATs or are they original 400cell units ?

Do you mean the olives Trev?
Depends whether they are Bishcoff or Gillet, can't remember which way round it is one uses them the other doesn't
A bit like Round heads and Cavaliers.
They are interchangeable apart from header/cat flange.

Endoman said:
Do you mean the olives Trev?
Depends whether they are Bishcoff or Gillet, can't remember which way round it is one uses them the other doesn't
A bit like Round heads and Cavaliers.
They are interchangeable apart from header/cat flange.

That's them John, I have two that I obviously took from the car when dismantling however I cannot fathom where they're used in my new set-up. I'm running Gillet mufflers and tips.

I've dug up this thread from a while back that appears to discuss a similar topic:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113473&sid=2c4a6dff90ccb151f1ed50194f723fb4

It suggests that I don't need the olives as the Gillets already have that built into them. That would make sense from what I'm seeing whilst building it up however I'm confused as to where they were used on my car in the past, I've replaced like for like so confused.com:?:

Trev

Pretty good thread that one. Perhaps the new RSRs are Gillet and the old were Bischoff. When I sent Gert my old old Bischoffs he sent me Gillets back a minor weight saving but it all counts. I loved my old RSRs but a tail pipe fell off and melted rear pu with the hot exhaust gases, an expensive trip.
The tone of the Fabspeed cans currently fitted is a lot deeper the the RSRs and slightly louder, interestingly no provision for heat shields.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back