Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche price rises current and future

But Sponge, enough banter, what did you buy?

Jcx said:
But Sponge, enough banter, what did you buy?

:hand: He's checking whether it will fit in the carcoon first

Surely with prices dropping like a stone he will wait a bit longer :popcorn:

silvermilnec said:

Actually ive looked through prices today and they are now on the rise! Funny how quickly things can change, so i thought I may need to get in sooner rather than later :eek:
I also heard finance rates will balloon to 15% in the spring with Brexit looming :wink:

spongebob squarepants said:
silvermilnec said:

Actually ive looked through prices today and they are now on the rise! Funny how quickly things can change, so i thought I may need to get in sooner rather than later :eek:
I also heard finance rates will balloon to 15% in the spring with Brexit looming :wink:

It must be all the chat on here that has the prices on the rollercoaster ....!

Spongebob, what are you smoking? :lol: One minute there is a crash, next they are rising...

I don't see finance rates getting anywhere near 15% but if they do, car values will come down.

Perhaps you get a golden hue with the benefit of hindsight.....
:dont know:

benbuhagiar said:
Spongebob, what are you smoking? :lol: One minute there is a crash, next they are rising...

I don't see finance rates getting anywhere near 15% but if they do, car values will come down.

Finance rates don't have to go anywhere near 15% for values to go down. If there's a credit crunch rates can be 1% but if you can't get the financing then values will fall. Also it's partly an issue of perception. You can see the uncertainty in this forum; that leads to more caution which slows sales which impacts on prices. Brexit, the global economy; oil prices call it what you will more uncertainty leads, eventually, to lower prices.

If you thought that prices might fall by 10,15,20% in the next two years would you buy now on 3% finance or wait for two years when you might be paying 10%? I'd wait.

I was monitoring 997.2 prices for 3/4 for years before buying mine earlier this year. Prices didn't decline at all in that period.

Whether you buy a Porsche now or in the future, I am very confident it will hold its value better than a BMW/Merc/Audi.

I'd buy now and enjoy driving the car. If you lose 10% so what? You'd still be buying a great car and will hold its value better than its German equivalents.

I was reading an old car mag last night, from 2002. There was a Meridien ad in there with the following, among others:

1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, 3,000 miles. £44,000 (inflation adjusted £68k)
2002 Boxster 2.7, 5,000 miles £37,850 (inflation adjusted £59k)

The Ferrari was 14 yrs old, so it would be the same as a 3000 mile 2004 F430 or 360m now being up for around £58k relative to a nearly new 718 at £50k.

Meridian now have a 7000 mile 2007 F430 for £103k....

Shows that new Porsches have become relatively good value, used Ferrari around 30-40% overvalued.

benbuhagiar said:
I was monitoring 997.2 prices for 3/4 for years before buying mine earlier this year. Prices didn't decline at all in that period.

Whether you buy a Porsche now or in the future, I am very confident it will hold its value better than a BMW/Merc/Audi.

I'd buy now and enjoy driving the car. If you lose 10% so what? You'd still be buying a great car and will hold its value better than its German equivalents.

As regards the first point you are undoubtedly correct and might have stretched it much further. But this is due to easy money and we've had that for ten years; most buy on credit and with easy credit you get higher prices.

As to the second I'm sure you're right but of course it's all relative; if 911 prices fall by 20% then BMW/Merc will probably fall by 25-30%.

As to the last of course you are right; for the genuine enthusiast it's the drive that matters and if the car loses 20% of its value so what!

There is also the bang for buck metric that isn't being considered which should hold up values to a certain extent.
The argument of "I can buy a new mondeo or a 911" will always have a place in keeping values at a certain level. Nostalgia is a moving line through automotive history and as the next generation gets to the point where 997's were the first 911 they lusted after, we'll see another rise in prices once again.
Rose coloured glasses may be for the optimistic, but yellow lenses are for nostalgia and memories......and driving in low light conditions of course :grin:

Robertb said:
I was reading an old car mag last night, from 2002. There was a Meridien ad in there with the following, among others:

1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, 3,000 miles. £44,000 (inflation adjusted £68k)
2002 Boxster 2.7, 5,000 miles £37,850 (inflation adjusted £59k)

The Ferrari was 14 yrs old, so it would be the same as a 3000 mile 2004 F430 or 360m now being up for around £58k relative to a nearly new 718 at £50k.

Meridian now have a 7000 mile 2007 F430 for £103k....

Shows that new Porsches have become relatively good value, used Ferrari around 30-40% overvalued.

I believe that Ferrari have a "halo effect". "I own a Ferrari, therefore I am successful and rich". Look at Ferrari adverts; cars have only 20K miles in 20 years! They are, by and large, not cars but status symbols and this is typical of an easy credit, low interest rate period; values are driven up. Some goods are "positional" and Ferraris come into that category.

Porsche on the other hand is the "everyday supercar"; the DD with supercar performance. Still a halo effect but not so pronounced as Ferrari.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back