Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If Not A Porsche, Then What.....?

Yes, a Lambo is the only alternative 😉

Tbh it's very difficult to change a Turbo for anything else as it ticks more boxes than just about anything else!

I suppose 12C's are now starting to be in the equation, but after having driven several Macs, (including round Spa) I wouldn't swap a Turbo for one, unless you're going to be a track fiend.

I really enjoy my M4 as a DD, though it can't do what a Turbo can (especially in the wet!) it's almost as fast 90% of the time, plus it's practical and it's ICE is second to none imo..

Anyhow have fun, plus if you need any help give me a call, as I've driven all the suspects in the replacement categories! 😜

I drove a Vantage V12 btw, nice engine, but not that quick and steering/handling was not in the Porsche's league, imo ymmv 😀

Another vote for the Lambo. I have a 997.1 Turbo and wanted something exotic so tried a few cars F430, R8 and Gallardo. Servicing costs and reliability put me off the McLaren, but I may be wrong. The noise and power delivery on the V10 is addictive and the Lambo has much more theatre and positive reaction. I ended up buying a rare LP560-4 manual. Keeping the 997 Turbo as a practical option :lol:

Its not often I look at my friend's cars and feel envious. I've got enough petrol head mates that most of the car spectrum is covered too. Curiously, the last time I can remember doing so was when I saw MJA911's GT3 before he sold it. There was just something 'right' about that car.

Anyway, a lambo would definitely have me twitching! It seems to tick a lot of boxes for me, especially as my turbo is essentially now a high days and holidays car. A lambo would do that job just fine and the cost to change isnt extreme. Whilst it shares a lot of bits with the Audi (what cars dont these days!?), at least it isn't de-tuned like the R8.

What a time to be alive...

What a time to be alive indeed. Great phrase. Who said that again? Obviously a scholar and a gentleman :chin:

Dana - I was thinking of you in the BMW dealership yesterday actually. Your enthusiasm really opened my eyes to consider the brand. And yes I may take you up on the chance to see a Lambo up close and personal though it's the pauper's version bs you're elite one :D

'Twas always thus :lol:

Now to start investigating Gallardos. Please, no one tell my wife :eek:

My (current) shortlist for a possible addition in the spring is the AMG GT or the Huracan. Never been a Merc fan (always found BMWs better balanced and much more engaging but lately BMW have dropped the ball especially when it comes to interiors) but the AMG GT looks awesome and AMG have always had the engine / exhaust / sound sorted!

The Gallardo is just too Audi for me whereas the Huracan has managed to distance itself that bit further from Audi.

A friend has had a few Vantages and I couldn't help but be disappointed with the interior – all that money for Volvo switchgear would just grate on me. They look great from 5 yards but get closer and sunken fuel flaps and poor panel gaps seem common. And sadly in that respect the Gallardo is the Italian AM Vantage – all that money for Audi bits and bobs.

If I recall correctly the TG Isle of Man feature used a 997.1 and it was the 'winning" car (although JC struggled to admit it).

As has been said many times before – first world problems!!

squelch said:
My (current) shortlist for a possible addition in the spring is the AMG GT or the Huracan. Never been a Merc fan (always found BMWs better balanced and much more engaging but lately BMW have dropped the ball especially when it comes to interiors) but the AMG GT looks awesome and AMG have always had the engine / exhaust / sound sorted!

The Gallardo is just too Audi for me whereas the Huracan has managed to distance itself that bit further from Audi.

A friend has had a few Vantages and I couldn't help but be disappointed with the interior – all that money for Volvo switchgear would just grate on me. They look great from 5 yards but get closer and sunken fuel flaps and poor panel gaps seem common. And sadly in that respect the Gallardo is the Italian AM Vantage – all that money for Audi bits and bobs.

If I recall correctly the TG Isle of Man feature used a 997.1 and it was the 'winning" car (although JC struggled to admit it).

As has been said many times before – first world problems!!

They are. Interesting perspective on the Gallardo. Plus the other insights. The AMGs look and sound amazing. Will investigate further methinks :chin:

And the Carrera definitely won on the TG episode :grin:

In fact let me find it on YouTube :?:

ragpicker said:
T8 said:
N997b ....... Have you got as far as talking part-ex values yet. :?:

That sounds like a leading question.... Some bad news there T8?

Not bad news per se as the difference in £££s between 'trade' and 'retail' is a fact of life. It's just that in my recent experience there's a lot of very ordinary cars out there, often with patchy service histories, advertised for top retail money but an above average condition, fPsh car is apparently not worth any more than 'bottom book trade'.

It appears that the market is on it's arris so dealers need to be stingy on what they pay to keep their margins where they want them to be.

squelch said:

If you don't like shared parts then best to avoid Huracan as they share majority of R8 components. I think you have to go back to Murcielago to distance from Audi?

New997buyer said:
What a time to be alive indeed. Great phrase. Who said that again? Obviously a scholar and a gentleman :chin:

Dana - I was thinking of you in the BMW dealership yesterday actually. Your enthusiasm really opened my eyes to consider the brand. And yes I may take you up on the chance to see a Lambo up close and personal though it's the pauper's version bs you're elite one :D

No problem, you're welcome to ride in either of my cars, just drop me a line/call.. 👍

s2000db said:
New997buyer said:

No problem, you're welcome to ride in either of my cars, just drop me a line/call.. 👍

:thumbs:

If I wasn't in a Porsche, I'd still want to be in a sports car, so I'd be looking at something low, fast, mid-engined (or front mid-engined), which handles, and ideally also looks and sounds fabulous.

So let me throw a couple of suggestions out there:

GT: Maserati (do they even make a two door anymore?)
Junior supercar: Lotus Evora 430
US: Corvette
Japan: Nissan GTR, Honda NSX

MaxA said:
If I wasn't in a Porsche, I'd still want to be in a sports car, so I'd be looking at something low, fast, mid-engined (or front mid-engined), which handles, and ideally also looks and sounds fabulous.

So let me throw a couple of suggestions out there:

GT: Maserati (do they even make a two door anymore?)
Junior supercar: Lotus Evora 430
US: Corvette
Japan: Nissan GTR, Honda NSX

Good suggestions. The Corvette would be out as I'm not sure I could live with LHD.

The Maserati is an interesting option. It's certainly got the wow factor, but is it a GT rather than a sports car? I'll add it to my list to explore.

The Nissan GTR is out as while I respect them I don't warm towards them. But dynamically they are extraordinary. So maybe I need to explore those too.....?

The NSX is either too old and a classic, though still very capable, or too new and expensive.

The Evora I'd like to experience. Though I just don't think it'd be solid enough or reliable enough for me to do long road trips without worrying it'd break.

But keen on your or other's experience of any of these? At the moment not much is off the table :?:

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back