Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rounded oil plug removal ?

Gazc2

Magny-Cours
Corrosion has got the better of my gearbox drain plug, I have the proper hex key and managed to get the fill plug out the drain plug however is fairly rounded internally and cant get the key to grip, so any magic solutions gratefully received. I have a decent lip to work with and thought about trying to tease it round with a chisel.

Attachments

• 20181101_160245_205.jpg
    20181101_160245_205.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 7,731
Probably not enough depth for a bolt extractor, if you can't chisel it out you may have to drill it.

I assume you've tried PlusGas and heat (not together!)

Weld a nut to it.
That is the most reliable to way remove it whilst you still have material to work with.

thanks for the suggestions boys I have been leaving it to soak I will give it some heat tonight and see how I get on :thumb:

Heat and then I'd have a go at knocking something into the rounded Allen socket like an oversized Torx bit. Even a flat head screwdriver if you have one the right width.

Make sure you heat round the casting and not the plug itself (sorry for stating the obvious).

Had a similar problem while changing pto shaft yesterday, One of the 5 bolts rounded. I used a pointed punch and got it moving. Bolt was wrecked anyway so no harm done. Why do Massey Ferguson use such crap bolts! When I bought my Boxster years ago (Only been OPC serviced) when I went to do oil change the sump plug was gouged out in a terrible state!

Gaz, this is common, even when you use the correct Allen head socket there is a little bit of play. The plug is really soft so they round off in time. Because they are so soft if you try to use a chisel you will probably just chew it up. On mine I had to get my brother to weld a bolt onto it and wind it out. I think a new plug was about £14.

Success :thumb: combination off all of the above cut a small groove with the chisel then used a punch to get it started I was getting worried I would have nothing to weld to if that didn't work

away to order a new plug !

Attachments

• 20181102_105539_936.jpg
    20181102_105539_936.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 7,587
Good job 👍🏻

What an utter pain. Those plugs are little bu**ers :evil:

You'll deserve a medal at the end of this build Gaz.

I was discussing this with number 1 son tonight he is due me about 10k before he drives off in it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back