Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Low speed turning tyre scrub/ understeer

APL911

Hey.

I've noticed recently that my 991.1 does something odd when manoeuvring at slow speeds in car parks etc.

When driving forwards and turning sharp left or right, the front tyres judder and understeer slightly. Like they are skipping over the road surface.

This is at crawling speed only. It never happened on my 996.

It's got 20" carrera s wheels, PASM -10mm, Manual transmission and done 47k Miles.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm concerned (as usual) that my car may have an issue?

yes its completely normal. no issue.

I've owned three 991's (.1 C2S, .2 C4S Targa, .2 GT3.) and they've all scrubbed their tyres as you describe OP

I have this. It's worse in the cold. Until I swap to winter tyres at least...

Notorious on 981's, but almost disappeared on mine since going from P zeros to Michelin PS4PS.

mr pg said:
Notorious on 981's, but almost disappeared on mine since going from P zeros to Michelin PS4PS.

yep - exactly as I found on our old 981. I thought perhaps the limited slip diff, might have contributed to this scrub :dont know:

Yep - I have this when the car is cold, and it's cold outside. Goes away once the tyres are warm, or the weather improves.

I did some searches when i first noticed it, and found it to be normal.

I believe it is related to the suspension geometry, my Audi also does it and worse in the cold or when tyre tread depth is low as the tread blocks are stiffer.

Cold tyre scrub is not unique to the world of Porsche - plenty of modern cars with wide (performance bias) rubber will do this. The scrub becomes more obvious at this time of year because the temperature drops and the road becomes more greasy.

Whilst manoeuvring at low speed the outside tyre will scrub in a comparable way to slip angle on a track day.

We have an 'L' shaped driveway and both of our dailies have started to do this again as winter beckons.

Matt

I had a 981 as a courtesy car from OPC Colchester. Couldn't believe the noise when turning in the car park and went back inside to tell them something was wrong with the car. "They all do that sir" was the reply. Personally I couldn't live with that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back