Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help: Boxster black edition making horrible noise

ghoshd

Dear members

I would like to get some advice.

When I started my 987 Boxster (black edition today) the engine was making a horrible roaring part booming part slapping part like a 100cc scooter with a blown exhaust. It follows the Rev.

Is this likely a exhaust blowout. I tried to peek underneath the car and did not see any leaks. The noise is on the right side.

Is it likely a exhaust manifold or gasket blowout.

More important questions - any kind helpful places in and around London who you recommend can take a look at this. I will also give it for a major service and brake change at the same time

ghoshd said:
any kind helpful places in and around London who you recommend can take a look at this. I will also give it for a major service and brake change at the same time

Porsche Torque would be a good place to start :thumb:

I had what Demort describes, in fact he diagnosed it very in on a Sunday morning whilst I was on the road side.

Demort, tell him where he should stick his hand in order to pinpoint if it is the exhaust flange.

I got both sides replaced with SS for a little over 200 squids IIRC.

The return of Marty Wild said:
I had what Demort describes, in fact he diagnosed it very early on a Sunday morning whilst I was on the road side.

Demort, tell him where he should stick his hand in order to pinpoint if it is the exhaust flange.

I got both sides replaced with SS for a little over 200 squids IIRC.

Lol .. post is a few days old so i think its fixed by now .. btw Sunday was np .. always glad to help no matter the time :D

Unfortunately it has not been fixed yet. Didn't get time. Please could you advise how to do a quick diagnostics. I took to a garage at tower bridge (because it was next to office) and was told after a 2 minute inspection that it is the cat whic is gone. I find it strange on a 40k miles car

Is that Tower Porsche or such like? My mate takes his 997 there, John is a good chap there.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Is that Tower Porsche or such like? My mate takes his 997 there, John is a good chap there.

It's the shop next to it. Lucky motors
I always thought they are same till they handed out the card

It will be the cat to mainifold flange bolts that have rotted through .. look behind the wheel for this joint ..

They will either be seperated or when running you will feel hot gasses comeing out .

Attachments

• cat_studs_212.jpg
    cat_studs_212.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 3,086
Demort diagnosed this very issue on my car from 100 miles away. Driver side, hideous sound, noise changes with the throttle. You can run your hand behind the wheel and feel the exhaust escaping as Demort states.

Took me 30 seconds to find the problem armed with this info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back