Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing the blue GPS Fakra connector above pollen filter

v6matt

So as part of my discovery with the new car, I now know why the sat nav appeared VERY useless....it is seemingly not picking up any satellites.

I bet this is related to a windscreen change and I also bet they have butchered the blue connector.

Has anyone switched this out? As it appears to be very specific i.e integrating the metal coax plug into the unit and out the side. I have scoured google with no luck.

I am still trying to get hold of the previous owner to get the windscreen company to fix this but he seems to have vanished :(, but for what is no doubt a few quid....I would like to get a spare on order as I bet they will be clueless/not have it when they do come out.

It appears to be something like this https://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/DSC09926_175815.JPG

The Only time i ever replace a gps lead or antenna is after a windscreen has been fitted .. sigh .

It all depends on 2 things ..

Can you actually get the blue part of the connector ..

Is the center pin damaged / out of alighnment .. often the broken connector has been jammed back in and damages this part or even the gps antenna.

Worst way .. new gps and a new lead will need to be run to the nav unit.

deMort said:
The Only time i ever replace a gps lead or antenna is after a windscreen has been fitted .. sigh .

It all depends on 2 things ..

Can you actually get the blue part of the connector ..

Is the center pin damaged / out of alighnment .. often the broken connector has been jammed back in and damages this part or even the gps antenna.

Worst way .. new gps and a new lead will need to be run to the nav unit.

Really quite annoying isn't it, I simply cannot understand the sloppyness on jobs such as these.

Another bit of research has led me to this, basically a small extension that takes the old metal connector within the blue shroud linking into a fresh Fakra connector with a swiveling coax https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dJMAAOxyXzxTHrQH/s-l500.jpg

It seems those right angled blue Fakra casings are like unicorns.

The extension piece .. you can remove the blue connector from it and fit to your old lead .. if the cost isnt high then thats worth a shot.

Its just clipped in place and slides off .. a small screwdiver is all thats needed

Windscreen fitters dont realise this is fixed to the panel .. they just pull to remove it and then find this lead .. these break pretty easily so by the time they have found it its already too late .

Ive been replacing these for at least 8 years due to this .

deMort said:
The extension piece .. you can remove the blue connector from it and fit to your old lead .. if the cost isnt high then thats worth a shot.

Its just clipped in place and slides off .. a small screwdiver is all thats needed

Windscreen fitters dont realise this is fixed to the panel .. they just pull to remove it and then find this lead .. these break pretty easily so by the time they have found it its already too late .

Ive been replacing these for at least 8 years due to this .

Its only about £4 from China, seems to be the only supplier of it regardless of price !

The standard connectors are easy to find but this one doesn't seem to be available anywhere unless part of a full cable

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back