Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 GT4 Vs. 718 GTS Verdict

krishcanag said:
jonttt said:
krishcanag said:
To all the guys who talk about "emotion"....A car has 4 wheels, somewhere to sit a steering wheel and a engine/gearbox of some kind.
I bet the same type of guys might say a E type Jag is glorious...when it drives like a bath tub

If you want real emotion drive a women through the gears she will give you far more emotion !!!

So why are you driving a Porsche, save yourself some money and get a ford. Talk about contradicting yourself :roll:

You missed the point....it's just too much talk about emotion.... Porsche make great cars

So let's say someone makes a car that is slow but plays a great soundtrack linked to you right foot....some of you will go buy it 🤣

Yep thats exactly the point. Thats why I sold a Ferrari 488 and kept the much slower 981 GTS, I got more enjoyment out of driving the 981. I learned a long time ago that chasing the fasted is ultimately unrewarding in the modern era.

The fact you simply don't see that is not a problem. If your goal is speed then I perfectly accept your preference for a 718 over a 981 GT4 given the price difference. I'm not saying your wrong in your views. The point I'm trying to get across to you that your view that the 718 is the better car is not the case for everyone as there are other benchmarks than 0-60 times or lap times :thumbs:

Newbuyer, in his usual predicatable way is trying to imply that I am biased in my view because I own a 981. What he fails to recognise is that I bought a 981 over a 718 BECAUSE of that view ie I put my money where my mouth is :wink: (just as he failed to recognise all those years ago that I chose to buy a 993 instead of a more modern 911, not becasue I could not afford one but because I genuinely preferred it and hence actually bought one!)

ps in advance of yet another predictable repost by the much more intellectually gifted newbuyer I will apologise for stating that I owned a 488, I know its crude but I felt warranted in this case to get my point across that yes I would indeed choose a slower car over a faster car if it was "emotionally" more rewarding to drive :roll:

Back on topic....

I would agree with earlier comments about not having to drive the 981S past 5K revs to get the noise and feel - with the sports exhaust it makes a pretty decent noise at 3-4K - drive with the roof down and you get the full benefit. Too much noise? Switch off the exhaust and pootle through town.

Best of both worlds.

It has nowhere near the grunt of my old 996 Turbo S, but makes a better sound and still plenty quick enough to enjoy it.

Back off topic...

The M140i is mental - you could lose your license easily whilst thinking that you were only doing about 65 mph....

I'm glad that I recently got to spend a couple of days in a 718 because I now know that the sound is awful, the brakes are mushy and too assisted, the steering is numb, they have no road presence and the sound is awful. So you can say what you like about the near equivalent performance of a 718 GTS but it is not in any shape or form in the same league as a GT4 to own, drive and enjoy.

Boxsey said:
I'm glad that I recently got to spend a couple of days in a 718 because I now know that the sound is awful, the brakes are mushy and too assisted, the steering is numb, they have no road presence and the sound is awful. So you can say what you like about the near equivalent performance of a 718 GTS but it is not in any shape or form in the same league as a GT4 to own, drive and enjoy.

interesting - I was not a huge fan of the regular 981 brakes. Very capable of course (its a Porsche) but having now tried 991 brakes, they are in a different league. The GT4 has tasty big brakes too, so I imagine they are awesome!

how do you find the GT4 suspension on UK roads? I have to say that whilst I prefer X73 to PASM, I understood that GT4s go another stage further.

(sorry OP - I am also a fan of the 718, just that the GT4 is quite distracting!)

tim993 said:
interesting - I was not a huge fan of the regular 981 brakes. Very capable of course (its a Porsche) but having now tried 991 brakes, they are in a different league. The GT4 has tasty big brakes too, so I imagine they are awesome!

how do you find the GT4 suspension on UK roads? I have to say that whilst I prefer X73 to PASM, I understood that GT4s go another stage further.

(sorry OP - I am also a fan of the 718, just that the GT4 is quite distracting!)

I was taken aback at how good the GT4 suspension is on UK roads. It's far more compliant than my Cayman R was. Yes it's firm but doesn't bounce around and just takes everything in it's stride. Even rides potholes well (probably because of the huge tyres). There are a number of reasons why I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, one of the main ones being how low it is at the front which is exacerbated by the long overhang. This can be a real PITA when it comes to speed humps and sloping petrol forecourts and car parks.

Totally agree with all of the Steve.

The front lip thing is nuts. The GT4 could really use a front-lift option like the GT3. You should see the made-to-order alloy ramps I had to have made just to get mine in and out of my garage (as I have a sloping entrance)....

how low are we talking?

Putting aside the 981 v 718 (the 981 is clearly the best :grin:) Id seriously consider a 987 Cayman with the new Hartech rebore over both the above :thumb:
I think alot will go this way and many old Boxsters/caymans/911's are about to get a new lease of life :thumb:

edit* In fact I may even buy one run it and wait for the inevitable engine meltdown :worship: :grin:

tim993 said:
how low are we talking?

About 11 cm Tim. And with it being about 70 cm between the front of a wheel and the lip..it's very easy to make a school boy error of mounting a kerb with the front in a car parking space. :hand:

spongebob squarepants said:
Putting aside the 981 v 718 (the 981 is clearly the best :grin:) Id seriously consider a 987 Cayman with the new Hartech rebore over both the above :thumb:
I think alot will go this way and many old Boxsters/caymans/911's are about to get a new lease of life :thumb:

edit* In fact I may even buy one run it and wait for the inevitable engine meltdown :worship: :grin:

Ah I see what you did there .......apply utd football philosophy to a car ie wait till it's broken and then try to fix it :thumb:

Boxsey said:
tim993 said:
how low are we talking?

About 11 cm Tim. And with it being about 70 cm between the front of a wheel and the lip..it's very easy to make a school boy error of mounting a kerb with the front in a car parking space. :hand:

My .2 GT3 is 3mm lower than that and I've not had any trouble however I do have a front lift but never used it :oops:

krishcanag said:
Obviously, many are stuck on the 981 GT4 just on the sound which I understand, I just won't spend 20k extra to buy any car that is slower it's 14 seconds slower on the Nuremberg track just for the sound. If the new 718 GT4 comes with PDK I would buy it if offered else it might be a R8 V10 +, the best budget supercar

I'd say if you're going to drop 'The Ring' in there like a TopGear fanboy, I'd be sure to spell it correctly. Take it you're talking about the Nordschliefe and not Hitler's big P.R. bash?

#justsaying :lol:

Boxsey said:
tim993 said:
how low are we talking?

That's same as the Spyder I think... :eek:

For what its worth i test drove a manual 718 GTS ,first thing i did when i got in was to put the exhaust button and then commenced the test drive.

Within 5 minutes i was back at the dealership , even with the exhaust on i could hardly hear it , and what noise it did make didn't remind me of a sports car sound.

Other than the noise , the looks /technology /pace are bang on.

One week later i bought a GT4 , which is complacently different gravy.

At the end of the day the GT4 is a Porsche "GT Car" and i dont even think you can compare the 2.

Just getting in the GT4 and starting it up , you realise your in something special.

Just a thought , if you were to park a GT4 and a 718 GTS together and asked people to choose just based on looks which one ??

I think i know which one would win :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back