Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trackday Advice Guide & Preparation for Beginners Novice

thanks for that.

A couple of other questions for anybody who has done track days:

Is is best to use my own car?
How much is a typical one day Insurance - where to obtain it?
Is it worth me buying a spare set of wheels and tyres, (they could double up as winter wheels)?

Ive got this silly phobia that its likely to be a series of twists and technical turns etc, is it like this?

FWIW I have raced duathlons at Thruxton and Castle Coombe but that was a few years back and i didnt really take a lot of notice of the courses etc.

Have you never watched car racing, even on the telly?

Most track days are held at venues where there is car racing going on most weekends. Brands Hatch is quite close to you so I'd head there to watch a club meeting. It's fun in its own right and you'll learn a lot.

eg. ==> http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/calendar/2015/april/bh-750mc.aspx

Alternatively just go and watch a track day. It's free and all your questions will be answered either by watching or talking to the people taking part.

eg. ==> http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2015/april/08-bh-sw.aspx

You can hire cars at some trackdays but it's pretty expensive. Far better to use your own and be cautious.

One day track day Insurance is easily obtainable but again quite expensive. Read the trackday sub forum on here for more details of where to get it / cost etc.

There's absolutely no need to buy a new set of wheels and tyres, at least not until you get properly hooked and want to do it regularly. :grin:

Silverstone GP track is very safe with plenty of run off. Castle Combes is a fast track also but does not take prisonners in few places.
I think my first trackday was at Donnington Park and it was great.
Don't go on the track straight away do few passenger laps with someone with experience. Have a go yourself and what I recommend is to get an instructor so you can learn the track in depth and loose few bad habbits !!
Just take it easy and enjoy. Be aware of any cars around you always.
you don't especially need track tyres for the first time. Just get your car in shape with good oil, good pads, good boots.
Ask questions , trackdays are great especially with a Porsche.

That should work.

I have a GoPro gooseneck thing that you can borrow if you are doing Bedford

:thumb:

It will clip on to pretty much anything in/on the car.

s-l640.jpg

HSC911 said:
That should work.

I have a GoPro gooseneck thing that you can borrow if you are doing Bedford

:thumb:

Thanks pal. It's hard to judge from the eBay picture due to the thickness of the roll bar. I suppose it's only a fiver. :)

I cherished, yet being a completed monitor amateur, I have got to state that a lot as I adored being a tourist, i'd have discovered it relatively frightening on the off chance that it was once my first monitor driving skills.

SANFORD said:
I cherished, yet being a completed monitor amateur, I have got to state that a lot as I adored being a tourist, i'd have discovered it relatively frightening on the off chance that it was once my first monitor driving skills.

:dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back