Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When buying from dealers what condition do you expect?

I noticed at Wilmslow OPC that cars were not detailed - the salesman said they would all be fully prepped by Road & Race or a local independent detailer prior to a sale. But who wants to start talking a sale on a car full of swirls?

It's not just used stuff, it's not just Porsche, and it's not just the UK.

I was working in Munich the other year and, as it was on the way to the hotel, I popped into the Mercedes boutique type store in Odeonsplatz one evening. They had a nice, brand new SLS GTR, with rather fetching metallic black paintwork which, on even rudimentary inspection, looked like it had been polished with a housebrick.

cheshire911 said:
I noticed at Wilmslow OPC that cars were not detailed - the salesman said they would all be fully prepped by Road & Race or a local independent detailer prior to a sale. But who wants to start talking a sale on a car full of swirls?

Thank you, that's my point precisely :thumb:

Diggermeister said:
.... looked like it had been polished with a housebrick.

:floor: like it :thumb:

Maybe there's a pan-european approach then by all dealer valeters - 1 bucket, 1 litre of water, 1 squeeze of fairy & 1 bag of sharp sand :grin:

Rhodris-dad said:
In the 80's, yuppies used to drive red turbos, they never bothered to wash them....they used to crash them instead :floor:

:floor:

I thought they used to change them every day to match their braces... ;)

That's a lovely looking car Mark - if only it was closer to the spec I'm after and wasn't black :sad:

What level of prep would you expect from a dealer?

I ask because I am looking for a Gen2 997. I've looked at a couple from the higher end of the dealer spectrum (not naming names but, gentlemen, you'd be bloody shocked, I can tell you) and I have come away feeling rather deflated about the whole affair. I have a good budget of £35k - £37k, my preference is for a standard NB Carrera.

I gave fair warning to one dealer that I would visit (5 days notice) and the car was just not popping. Lots of swirl marks and scratches, peeling lacquer on wheels, centrecaps bubbling, grubby interior with coffee droplets on knobs (these guys are supposed to be one of the best!).

Now I am not a hugely fussy chap. I mean, I can put up with a few scratches on a ten year old car. But items like wheels, centre caps? Easy, cheap fix. Kinda grubby interior? Give it a wipe FFS. Messy engine bay with coolant droplets on header tank? 20 min detail! tops! Sort these things and one particular dealer would have had my 35 large today but I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Mechanically the car I refer to above seemed great but it does leave one wonedering; if the fundamentals such as presentation aren't addressed then there can't be much hope for what I can't see.

Am I just being a picky git? I know dealers have margins but I run my own building company, and I have my projects professionally cleaned on handover. The dealer today even suggested that I can titivate the car at my leisure when I suggested the interior should be cleaned better prior to purchase. Almost spat out my espresso :roll:

I can only give my own experience of 2 dealers. I was amazed at the level of prep on my own car from RSJ, was perfect when I picked it up, literally perfect and again I am very fussy! The prep and finish was better than I have had on new cars from BMW, Mercedes and Audi! I have also been mighty impressed with the prep at Harbour Cars.

Want to name and shame? I am curious now!!

Someone asked this just the other day...I will look for the thread :thumb:

Thanks for the linky. Most informative.

Rich, I can't say who the dealer is because we are only taking prep and that can be highly subjective :thumb:

I'm just a bit miffed because when I restore a property for my business it's tip-top. Any snags are sorted without question. When it's comes to a car it's okay to leave something you know is a bit pants and only sort it if the customer asks? It saddens me.

Matt, my view is these guys sell cars and have no idea how we want them . a PPI will tell us if the important stuff is good , your eye will tell if its basically ok but poorly prepped if thats good negotiate a fair price. I then spend a few hundred getting a detailer to sort the paint etc this is his job and he knows best what to do, I would rather my guy do it, the the dealers use some back steet numpty whos cheap to hide bits . same with alloys a refurb by your trusted guys will be a few hundred quid . Last car I brought I actually told the dealer not to clean or prep it as all he would do was push a grit covered rag around and make it worse, picked it up and took it straight to my detailer lol. Dealer said he pays £25 to get dents out FFS you just know the numpty thats going to turn up, I pay £75 a dent but they are the best at what they do. I want the interior as it is for me to sort really dont want some idiot applying leather paint to hide wear marks thats going to come off on my clothes I would rather get it done properly and even panels retrimmed if it needed it.
We must accept that apart from the few known and trusted car dealers the rest will use the cheapest method to cover stuff up , I have talked to guys I know dealers come in with a damaged wing etc want to pay £50 blow it over punt the car on and its your problem when it goes flat or the filler sinks in 6 months time. better to see the car as it is in the raw and be able to access what it will take to make it what you want and use it to negotiate the price. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Richtw said:
I can only give my own experience of 2 dealers. I was amazed at the level of prep on my own car from RSJ, was perfect when I picked it up, literally perfect and again I am very fussy! The prep and finish was better than I have had on new cars from BMW, Mercedes and Audi! I have also been mighty impressed with the prep at Harbour Cars.

Want to name and shame? I am curious now!!

Yep, mine was presented like a brand new car by RSJ when I picked it up, I was literally stunned into silence, Joel had to ask me what I thought, but my mouth wouldn't operate properly to answer! I was so shocked at how good it looked. Awesome dealer :thumb:

Certainly give RSJ a visit I've brought 2 911s from them and both were amazingly prepared and don't forget the in-house aftercare they offer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back