Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cayenne 955 -restoring her back

Re: Small tweak

pzero said:
swisstony said:
pzero said:
swisstony said:
A shame we don't have a thread in here that us Cayenne owners can update as we do small changes , save having to start numerous threads. But anyway

That's great work, looks a great refresh. :thumb:

So why not start your own thread and it can just remain open for updates and mods etc?

Good idea, if I start a restoration thread can you , as a moderator, combine all my threads into one ? Obviously I can't do that being a humble newbie :)

Yes, if you wish, I can transfer your existing refurb and update posts into the new thread that you are going to create. From there on just keep adding the updates to it, similar to other build threads.

Thanks pZero, I have created a new thread located here

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1437340#1437340

If you could combine all my posts (except the newbie introduction one of course) that would be great.
:thumb:

That's a lot of car love there OP and well done you :thumb:

MarkGolf said:
Great work, you're a man after my own heart, exactly the jobs I like to do! Well done!

Looking to get a Cayenne soon so I can see myself following you here!

Keep it up! :worship: :thumbs:

Ha ha :floor: it is her ladyships car but muggins here gets to do all the jobs on the car... She sometimes lets me drive the car :eek:

TBH, we knew when we got the car that with a LOT of TLC we could bring the old girl back to her former glory. The inside was pretty bad but what can you expect from a guy who drive around with his whole family for many years, going to the beach etc. Now she is back to looking pristine and I am sure there will be loads more jobs, upgrades, tweaks etc as we discover the car more.

Pop back in when you get yours for an intro :thumb:

Lighting my way home

Yes some may call it tacky and the purists may have a fit, but what the hell we like them.

You cant seem to buy them in the UK so got a nice contact in the US to ship them over. 5 mins later and they are in

IMG_2957 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2958 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

The most useless over engineered part on our pig

I know that some of the methods and reasoning for how the car was built has made us go :dont know: :dont know:

But the one that takes the biscuit is the top centre speaker cover thingy.
Now as these cars share a similar floor plan and other design features with the VW Touareg , you would think Porsche would do something similar on the top section. Like a handy bin or storage unit, you could disguise it as a speaker if you really want to. But nope, they decided to make it a speaker grill that you can't open ( well not unless you take the centre vents out ) but still put a rotating knob wheel there !!

Then don't fill the space underneath with a proper speaker but instead pop in a tiny little tweeter right near the screen...

I think the designer was having an off day

Anyway ours was badly scratched and marked and broken, so first tried to spray it silver to tie in with the other silver bits in the centre console.

That came out rubbish

IMG_2377 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

So as there was a lot of black in the middle, we tried that and it came out a lot better.

IMG_2841 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Awesome work on the engine bay, what prouducts did you use?

One other question though, why is it always 'we"? You and your admirable OCD perhaps? :)

The return of Marty Wild said:
Awesome work on the engine bay, what prouducts did you use?

One other question though, why is it always 'we"? You and your admirable OCD perhaps? :)

Very simple really . As mentioned before I do like to dabble in a little bit of car cleaning ( not an expert) so created a website

https://polishedswiss.weebly.com

On there is the whole engine detailing section but for this car, as I didn't really know the engine, how much water it could take , what to cover, I left the plastic covers on and armed with degreaser, brushes, a gentle stream of water ( no pressure washer), rags and towels got the build of it off. Then protected with Aerospace 303 which is perfect stuff

The 'WE" is the royal we, as my wife and myself. Its her car and we both are petrolheads so tackle the various cars we have together. She leaves certain things up to me and even lets me drive the Cayenne sometimes :)

crash7 said:
Great Work! - Mine needs a clean if your at a loose end! :grin:

I will try if I get the time :)

The car detailing season is nearly over so its maintenance time for the pig over the next few months, just to keep the salt on the roads at bay.

The car cleaning shelves in the garage go into hibernation like us !!

Fixing the rear parking sensors

When we got the car the double red lights showed up on front and rear screens but no movement (whilst in drive or reverse) in front of the sensors were picked up.
Now investigating a little further (whilst changing a bulb so the headlight was out) we noticed the front sensor cable was unplugged !
Popping that back did the trick. However the rear cable was plugged in and tightly secured. Cleaned all the sensors and made sure they are not fouled. But still in reverse we got the double red lights on the screen but nothing else.

So time for some cleaning and investigation work

Bumper off

IMG_2480 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

My wife doing what she loves best and cleaning with a tiny brush

IMG_2479 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

The amount of muck and crap behind the bumper was something to behold. It also gave me the opportunity to inspect the loom

IMG_2486 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2484 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

In the end bought a new set of sensors from germany (and yes they are the same as VW touareg ) , cleaned up all the wiring loom and that point found a break in the wiring. So soldered that back together and taped and tested using the same old sensors thinking it was an easy fix. Nope...3 out of the 6 sensors were not working so replaced those 3 and boom, all working now. I also have 3 spares in case any of them go again.

Back on, fixed one bolt that had sheared ( very un Porsche like ! ) so drilled it out, re-tapped it and popped in a SS bolt) and now all good :thumb:

Interior light upgrade

Have seen this on many forums, going from yellowish bulbs to LED.
Thought why not :D
Can always put them back to factory if they are too bright

So after a bit of research I ordered these from china

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/21pc...561a4c4dHC47mf

All looked good as they are clearly canbus error free and also each bag is labelled for the specific area to replace. Working the metal shielding off is a bit pf a PITA but doable, removed the standard bulb and fitted the LED. It didn't work immediately so realised it may be directional so rotated it 180 degrees and got a lovely working bulb.

I did find I had blown one of the fuses so got some replacement fuses and after looking online found which ones controlled which parts of the car.

Couple of tips for people doing it

1. The rear Map lights. Now these are held on with a torx screw and once removed you can pry out the light housing. BUT the actual bulb is hidden under what looks like a logic/fuse board which is held in all around by plastic clips. It looks like if you remove this board to get to the bulb you will either break it or disconnect metal pins that seem to touch the board.
However if you look carefully you can see there is one side that just needs lifting to reveal the bulb. Be careful on these parts

IMG_2855 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Here you can see the direction you must lift

IMG_2852 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

2. Dome lights at front. I can remove the plastic light cover and see three dome bulbs in there but boy do the LED ones not want to go in. Turns out that the ones supplied from china are far too long so best bet is to get some similar ones off ebay but are shorter. That way it clears the holes in the reflective housing and you get this

IMG_5863 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back