Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

You must be doing it wrong Chief, I can knock up a post with photos in no time from my PC, a bit slower on my phone but not suprising really. Either way it isn't a chore. I use postimage.org.

MC

True Dat!
But didn't we all have to change our URL's when Postimage hit the wall a few months back.....
My point being that at any time these companies can pull the plug on you.
You might not mind. But when you have over 60 pages on The Red Baron and every photo is then held for ransom, then having to change every Postimage link....
914World happily host your photos, so at least they don't get lost from your threads.
I guess we're getting off topic. I think I have explained my lack of updating my threads, however I did say that I would pull my finger out and that I will do.

Just to underline my point. I am not looking for lots of replies to postings. I genuinely thought there was no real interest in what I was up to. I feel it is so much easier to use Instagram for quick updates to people who have an interest in 914's and older aircooled Porsches. Also I think my point about admin stands as there again has been no input in this conversation which shows little regard for peoples concerns.

I shall return to painting shizzle in my garage and post my progress from the last point I updated it.

Peace out,
Chief

Okay gang. Time for the promised update....
Last we left the many and varied hairbrained schemes of our Chief, we had got caught up in a 'War Of The Worlds' theme posting....
Well this time we are just going with the facts.
After putting paint on many of it's underneath body parts it was time to get back to welding and grinding again. The next phase was one I was not looking forward too. This being the side sills and front and rear aprons. There was going to be a lot of measuring, fabrication and head scratching.
Sooo the 914 has had whopping steel arches fitted, now that is not delicate by any means, however the car is slim waisted much like the famous Lamborghini Muria....

Right, so the key here is not to extend those massive arches into the lower metalwork and make them look bulky.

Now the metal sill panel fits against the body at about a 15 degree angle. The arch the extension needs to be at a different angle otherwise the gap from the arch to extension would be huge. This means making up the panel at a jornty angle! I first cut the sill down and pressed a step into the panel to allow me to puddle weld the new piece in place.

After some more welding and grinding we start to see where I was heading.

finished one, then had to replicate it for the other side which is seen above.
A few pictures of how I constructed the 'Shoes' as I have taken to calling them.

Here you can see the odd angles that have to be created.

Now onto the rear valance. This was tricky as it fits the body very differently to the side sills.

You can see here the shape I have managed to achieve. Keeping that slim waist into the ground.

I de-constructed the strengthening structure around the exhaust exit and welded in a blanking piece.

Next phase was the beaten to death front valance. The one I have was very, very poor, but you cannot find these things anymore.

You see what I was up against!
Well, cut out the bad, then weld in the good!

New wider, stronger fitting brackets installed.
Again, delicate is the way. So very slim wasted 'shoes' here...

TADARRRRRRRRRRR
Finished body parts fitted.

Next, with all the construction finished. Time to clean paint and seam seal.

After the sealer was on it was time to mask off all the fitting point for the suspension. We don't want stone chip to interfere with parts fitting after paint.

At the moment (when PeterS popped in to see progress) i'm bagging up the body for stone chip tomorrow (Saturday).

I'm going with the 3M stone chip which has cost a huge amount of money, but I feel only the best will do. Although after paying for it i'm starting to question that decission!

Wish me luck for tomorrow as I prepare to spray 30 bags of 3M's finest.

Peace out,
Chief

Chief

Thanks for update, loving your work dude :worship:

I think I just did a little sex wee.

MC

Nope!

I thought spending north of 10 bags on the suspension for my C4 was a bit out there. You are one of the people I talk about when people tell me I am extreme or weird, you make me look normal and restrained, for that alone I salute you Sir. :thumb: :thumbs:

MC

30 bags OF stone chip. Zingers has a lot to answer for!

Thank you for the good vibes everyone :thumb:

Martin,
Extreme and wierd is my NORMAL so I have been regularly informed :grin:

I'll post up pictures later of all 30 bags of stone chip :lol:

To those who have had a little 'Sex wee' you ganna want some personal time once you've copped an eyefull of what's below :grin:

This is what 30 bags looks like
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

See, it comes in bags....

Into boiling hot water to soften up a bit.

Car masked up ready for the off...

So, ended up using 26 bags at 250ml. Lets see if a stone chan chip that!
I will leave this to dry off until later in the week. I will then take off all the suspension mounting point masking tape and paint body colour L96B....

That is all for now men, as you were. Kirsh.....Chief over and out......

Awesome work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back