Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash rattle (not clocks)

Luke997

Help please!

I've done a trawl through all the rattle threads. I have a rattle in my 997 dash which isn't the clocks - I followed the service bulletin and even drove with the clocks out of the dash, I have an annoying rattle coming from within the dash area from behind the clocks. It's driving me mad. Can anyone help? Could it be the CD changer cable or something like that? Thankyou

I am a master at noise - it's my ocd!! What sort of noise is it - a hard rattle, a buzz, metallic clank? Also is it speed dependant, Rev dependant? Have you checked to make sure the battery is secure? Have you turned off the air on to eliminate that? Might sound obvious but I am sure someone will have had something similar with a bit more description!!

It's literally a wire-on plastic like ticking noise. Independent of revs and triggered by bumps in the road surface. Battery is all secure, haven't tried switching the air con off.

The grill between sport chrono clock and windscreen seems to be my rattle.
If I press it down , rattle goes away :dont know:

One of these days I'll work out how to secure it :puh:

Luke997 said:
It's literally a wire-on plastic like ticking noise. Independent of revs and triggered by bumps in the road surface. Battery is all secure, haven't tried switching the air con off.

Does it go away if you press down on the dash - may need someone in the car to help with this one!

Rattles in the cabin front I have found are the central heating vents and the tiptronic metal top the spring under it .

Phil 997 said:
Rattles in the cabin front I have found are the central heating vents and the tiptronic metal top the spring under it .

I reckon my tiptronic cover is rattling, my continual rattle seemed to stop last weekend when I held the cover down. Is there a proven fix for this?

Phil 997 said:

Thanks all, mines a manual gearbox, would this still be an Issue? Worth removing the dash to get to it?

Buzzing noise...

Ignition starter switch

Buzzing noises can be heard
while driving due to the reset
spring in the ignition starter
switch.

Creaking or clicking noise

A-pillar

Relative movements and direct
contact between the hinge
pillar and upper front wheel

Rattling noise

Glove box

Rattling noises can be heard
while driving due to tolerances
between the release bar and
receiver.

Rattling noises

CD box in glove box

Rattling noises can come from
this area as a result of
tolerances between the CD
box and glove box.

Creaking noise

Trim panel under dashboard

Creaking noises can be
caused by relative movements
between the centring journals
of the trim panel under the
dashboard and the dashboard.

Rattling or buzzing noise

Instrument cluster

Rattling or buzzing noises can
come from around the
instrument cluster caused by
tolerances between the
dashboard inset and
instrument cluster.

Creaking or clicking noise

PCM/air-conditioning system
regulator/centre console

Relative movements between
the PCM, air-conditioning
system regulator and the basic
centre console carrier at the
front can cause creaking or
clicking noises while driving.

Attachments

• dash_1_135.jpg
    dash_1_135.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 4,627
Luke997 said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks all, mines a manual gearbox, would this still be an Issue? Worth removing the dash to get to it?

I have a buzz which is rev and road surface dependent which I have tacked down to the trim surrounding the gear lever (manual). Try pushing the trim in front of the gear shift down while driving.
It's a long shot but you never know....

Just incase this is useful to anyone, I had a buzz from the dash area and took everything out. It still buzzed.

Eventually tracked it down to the steering wheel. The metal clip that holds the airbag in wasn't moving freely so I lubed it. Gave the airbag a clean, added new Teflon tape, grease and anti rattle tape. Buzzing has finally gone (well that one has).

I was going to post something almost identical to this - thanks - I'm heading out to track down what I think is just one rattle given the great feedback .....

These old cars can develop many rattles. I have a few, but nothing too loud or overbearing. It adds to the character of my car. Just enjoy the driving experience and focus your energies on making sure your vehicle is in tip top condition, mechanically and aesthetically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back