Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A question about headlights om a 987.2

madalaa

I am sure Demort will be able to answer this.

Whilst on my Euro hoon a couple of weeks back a rock feel from a lorry and a took a chunk out of my nearside headlight.

I have bought one off of e-bay but I have bought a Xenon one as opposed to the halogen one..... I didn't look closely enough to notice the difference.

If I source another Xenon for the offside will they just plug in and work or is the wiring different or not compatible. I think it might not be possible but I would quite like to upgrade to Xenons.

If that be the case I will have to source a halogen one and sell resell the Xenon that I have bought. Either way I will either have to sell one or the other.

I've not done this, but would expect you'll need the levelling hardware (front and rear) and coding as a min.

The new assembly, does it have the HID gubbins in already? Sounds like it does, as to whether it's plug n play, impossible to say. Why not install it, takes minutes.

My car didn't have Litronics, I shat my pants when I first drove it in the dark.

In that the standard assemblies were projectors, I merely whacked some HIDs in from 'HIDS4U' and the difference was night and day. Then complimented the HIDs with some Halogen Nightbreakers for full beam. So, if you match the colour temp (kelvin) ratings, you could just whack an HID into your original unbroken assembly.

Flew through the MOT twice no problem. Auto-levelling and washer jet really aren't necessary. I had the alignment done and have never had a single flash from oncoming traffic.

Happy to help in anyway I can. My car thread has some info on it I'm sure.

Already answered but you wont have any of the leveling system fitted to the car and from memory you would need headlamp washers as well to pass an mot test .

They would fit as far as i know but be at a set lvl as the car cant adjust them ,you can manually adjust them though ... you might , although i think not , get a fault code / dash message.

Mot failure would be down to the tester due to no headlamp washers .. as i understand it he has to see the difference .. new Mot rules about them have only recently come into effect .

Hid kits on 993 are proveing to be a problem atm .

All i can suggest atm is fit the headlight and see if it all works and you get no messages on the dash .. from there its upto you im afraid as this kinda falls into the moding area and everyone knows im crap at that lol .

I will just have to sell the Xenon and wait for a Halogen one to appear on e-bay ....... a PITA but I should have paid more attention before I bought the wrong one ...... :(

Thanks deMort (Ian) for the confirmation ....... :)

My car went through it's MOT in September, no problems.

I do most of my driving at night in fairness, can't imagine driving it around on halogens. I literally went straight home after driving mine in the dark for the first time and ordered some within the hour.

Each to their own though.

"Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

https://assets.publishing.service.g...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Its down to wether the Mot tester knows its been converted .

Ive no idea why these rules have changed to this though .

Of course, there are recent Boxsters and Caymans with HID lights and no washers. There have been a few other non-Porsche exceptions over the years.

Osram is producing its own HID assemblies now, looking to maybe get some for the Golf I just bought the missus for Bub duties.

They're legal without jets and leveling because they're under 2,000 lumens which apparently has something to do with the regulations.

None the less, I'm aware my Cayman is an MOT fail, pleased that it gets through. I'd not have it without the HIDs and I seriously don't believe the jet and leveling matters one jot with projector lamps properly aligned.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Osram is producing its own HID assemblies now, looking to maybe get some for the Golf I just bought the missus for Bub duties.

They're legal without jets and leveling because they're under 2,000 lumens which apparently has something to do with the regulations.

None the less, I'm aware my Cayman is an MOT fail, pleased that it gets through. I'd not have it without the HIDs and I seriously don't believe the jet and leveling matters one jot with projector lamps properly aligned.

Im not going to argue at all .. i dont see the point in these new rules and would like someone to explain it to me .

But as usual i just answer a question as best as poss :D

Not arguing, kind sir, I know you're the voice of reason around here.

I too would love to know the reasoning behind it. Interesting link!

The MOT people know their onions, they must be turning a blind eye. Presumably blinded the night previously by some oik running non legal HIDs :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back