Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

A lot of my mods so far seem to start with me stripping down the center console and this one is no different, but today's goal was to install some Phenix Engineering billet shifter bushings to my factory short shifter.

I wont spend to much time going through the process of the center console removal as i think i have before and there are also loads around to follow if you want but here are a few pics of the process (N.B. not all step just to ones i took photos of)

Attachments

• gs3_175.jpg
    gs3_175.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,893
  • gs2_101.jpg
    gs2_101.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,893
  • gs1_589.jpg
    gs1_589.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,893
Once i had the shifter out of the car i tried to remove the old bushes without damaging them using a cable tie to push all the teeth back together so that it would just push out, unfortunately this failed dismally. I did also think of trying a jubilee clip but could i find the one that's been in my kitchen for the last month, no chance so i had to give up with that as well and go onto the destroy the teeth method. As you can see from the photos i just had to pry these of the old plastic bush using a screw driver as they are quite brittle so ping off with some force.

Attachments

• gs4_327.jpg
    gs4_327.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,892
Once i had it all apart i gave everything a good clean removing all of the old lubricating compound i could get to as the new bushes came with a whole new tube so this got a good squeeze around all of the parts. I also offered up the new bushes to the shifter to check the fit and i have to say it fitted perfectly, the bushes are so snug around the two shafts of the shifter its almost edging towards tight. It was so tight in fact that i had to actually take some lube out of the both of the new bushes when fitting them back into the body of the shifter as i couldn't compress it enough to push the bush back enough to reveal the slot for the retaining clip as it wouldn't squeeze out.

Attachments

• gs5_142.jpg
    gs5_142.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,889
At this point there was a knock on the door as a delivery driver just delivered a new deck lid for a future project i have in the pipeline. As you can see the dogs helped unpack it to check for damage.

Attachments

• 20180921_122417_139.jpg
    20180921_122417_139.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 2,886
Now i tested the new bushes to check for slop and i have to say there is none what so ever they are not only tight around the two shafts but they also fit to length perfectly so the shift has zero unwanted movement within the new bushes, unlike the old plastic ones which give a 1mm or so in both directions. Now that everything was tight and clipped up the assembly went back in the car ready for a test drive.

Attachments

• gs6_287.jpg
    gs6_287.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,882
I have only been on a quick drive with the new bushes but the difference is noticeable straight away. I am not going to say that this is a massive change to your car such a new CATS or and 82mm plenum but for $65 i think this is a worth while mod, it just another small plus to the feel of the shifter which now has no slop other than in the gearbox itself. If anything the new bushes just made each change feel more precise which i really noticed once i started to drive with a bit more anger. I know Alex Yates is making something similar to this for the Ebay SS kits and i can see why everyone he has made them for likes them but this is another option if you don't want the shortness of the Ebay kits and just want to make the OEM shifters more precise and less sloppy.

Excellent review mate, I can see that a metal bushed std shifter and short shifter will appeal to different people and its all better than the nylon bushes , bet your knob feels really solid when shifting now :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Excellent review mate, I can see that a metal bushed std shifter and short shifter will appeal to different people and its all better than the nylon bushes , bet your knob feels really solid when shifting now :grin: :grin:

My knob is much more solid its just more precise when you slip it in and the shaft has lost all of its slob and wobble :D

Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:

My knob is much more solid its just more precise when you slip it in and the shaft has lost all of its slob and wobble :D

:grin: :grin: just what you need when your pushing on hard :thumb:

Got hold of some new rear lights this week going all red. I wish I had my exhaust rings back it looks stupid without the tips, even the postman asked what's up with the exhaust

Attachments

• 20180928_184521_386.jpg
    20180928_184521_386.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,707
So after waiting for over two months for my exhaust rings to be made and then turning up the wrong size I started to get a bit p'd off. Before putting them back in the post to James I took a few measurements for him so he could get them made to the right size but this just got me thinking surely I can make these out of stainless tube. So a quick look on ebay and I had the right diameter tube 63.5mm and the right 2mm thickness in the post to me for about £8. The plan was to take the tube and grind down the sides to create the right profile.

Attachments

• 20181003_134054_778.jpg
    20181003_134054_778.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 3,841
To get the right size and shape I just cut the tube to the correct width and then to shape it I just ran the saw using the blade to grind down the edges to give the eliptical shape. A set of old mo0le grip spared my fingers

Attachments

• 20181003_140912_981.jpg
    20181003_140912_981.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 3,838
Now I was going to get my dremel out to put the groves in that grip against the tip clamps and do a tidy job with straight lines etc. But could I find the right size shank for the dremel blade no so I thought 5od it I will just use the chop saw as at the end of the day the groves are just for grip so that's what I did.

Attachments

• 20181003_144716_133.jpg
    20181003_144716_133.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 3,831
Now I wasn't sure that groves I had made would work but I thought I could always make another set so it was worth a go with the untidy method. The rings got sliced as per the originals and this photo shows the profile against the nd ones.

Attachments

• 20181003_145032_604.jpg
    20181003_145032_604.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3,828

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back