Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

08/09 Cayenne GTS - Any good?

MarkGolf

I'm looking for something that the wife can use as we are starting the journey into the world of parenting.

She uses a Boxster everyday but doesn't want to get rid, I have nothing practical apart from a Ford Focus which she won't drive and I'm currently looking to get myself an F80 M3 but that will be mine and looked after, she will need something for doing mum stuff.

I'm currently weighing up options and I want something that I don't mind the pram being thrown in, parked in supermarkets and so on. I don't want anything new as I will be far too precious but something that is nice to be in, reliable and safe etc etc.

I know these first Cayennes have a bad rep but what about the 'facelifted' GTS's? Are they going to blow up? I don't mind pipes, bushes etc going as I can DIY that, I'm concerned about the big things, gearbox, engine going pop things.

Would the 2008-2009 Cayenne GTS be a wise option? I was looking at Evoques but soon stopped as they seem to have a worse reputation than the first Cayenne S's!

The closer to £10k the better and have a few months to decide but I've seen plenty of £12/3k GTS's with 75-85k miles.

Any advice on these would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be a Porsche but ideally I would like it to be, if there really is a better option and not necessarily an SUV, feel free to suggest.

Thanks!

Might be frowned on here....

Have a look at a Volvo XC90 - not petrol, as they drink the stuff - we had two - not the quickest, but brilliant inside - loads of space and the middle seats move independently - stick a chip on the engine and it goes quite well - much better than standard!

Should get one for around the £10-11K mark

I run a 957 GTS as a daily and have done for circa 7 years, I really should change it but its been faultless and as such I just buy additional cars instead :grin:

Its a superb wagon, spacious, practical and goes well for its size. - In the 7 years apart from servicing, every other year, up until last week it had cost me nothing, nothing had gone wrong and I mean nothing.

Last week I had a headlight control unit let go, was full of water, replacement was circa £150.

When I get around to replacing it, it will be for another GTS Cayenne, its great piece of kit and the 4.8 V8 sounds glorious!

Early Cayennes so 2003 - 08 , V8 , coolant pipe issues but to be fair i think just about every car has had the modified pipes fitted by now.

Bore score is a possible and its normally bank 2 .. rare ish .. obvious knocking noise .

Turbos .. well .. 100k and they are pretty worn .. dont all cause an issue but maf sensor fouling is a big give away .. engine drop to replace so a rather large job .

2009 .. V8 petrol .. high pressure fuel pumps .. pretty much all done by now as there was a campaign to replace them and ive not seen a failure in a good few years now .

Vario cam unit snapping bolts .. ally bolts sigh , saw one about a year ago .. bent valves , but to be honest pretty rare .. again there was a recall so most should have been fixed .

Diesels .. oil leaks .. use an indy as we can do a cheap fix if the through bolts .. OPC and its a major engine strip .. but its not a huge deal .. a bit of oil .. who cares .

Some Egas problems and particulate filter problems .. normally due to low milage short journeys .. filter there is a fix for but egas is £500 ish nicka but again fairly rare .

Over all .. these are pretty good cars , no real set problems .. ive listed a few but we are talking a handfull of each .

Im also not the best person to answer this question .. i only see the broken ones .

I do happen to like the Cayennes .. if you ever drive one off road then you will see why .. they give Landrover a run for their money .. pretty awesome when you test them off road .

Thanks Guys!!

The Volvo is a good shout but she isn't taken by them after showing her unfortunately. A shame as they're great safe cars and I have a bit of a thing for Volvo's since the days of having a T5.

The GTS seems a good shout, I just wanted to make sure they're not known for blowing gearboxes or engines going pop, they have the later 4.8 which I guess was a revised 4.5 which seem to be problematic.

With the vario cam bolts, was that a recall? I had a similar thing on E46 M3's, the bolts would just snap so people swapped them out. Would be interested to know if it was a recall so it's something I could ask porsche about if I find a car with good history.

Thanks!!

There was a recall but in my experience with every recall there are cars outside the chassis range that still have the same fault .

Its pretty rare though .. i only mentioned it as i saw one about a year ago so it does still happen bearing in mind the recall was a long time ago.

Perfect, just always good to be aware of these things!

Now I need to find a good one!

I want silver but she wants the crimson red, black or grey.

I want the later PCM although I'm still to work out what options were available and what are the must haves.

Thanks!!

No direct experience or anything particularly useful to add other than that there is a bloke in the village who has one and it sounds fantastic! :D

I'd imagine they are thirsty brutes though, unless on a decent run. I know from bitter experience with a 3.0 petrol X5 the £ on fuel gets wearing, even over relatively short distances.

Dare I say it, depending on the sort of use it will get, maybe consider a 3.0D Cayenne?

I've seen some YouTube vids now and they do sound bloody nice, I didn't expect any noise to be honest but noise is good. 8)

Diesels are forbidden for me, especially as the government seem hell bent on phasing them out.

I have a slight concern that she may get fed up of filling it up but I'll worry about that when it comes to it... :?: :floor:

Great car, very quick and does sound good as others have said, especially in Sport mode. Don't expect more than 16-17mpg with local driving, I have seen 20 on a long run.

Great car, very quick and does sound good as others have said, especially in Sport mode. Don't expect more than 16-17mpg with local driving, I have seen 20 on a long run.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back