Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do you store your 911 in a single garage?

Mine is a fairly wide single at 3.6m. It's also a little over the top with a recessed 3.5 tonne scissor lift. My favourite place to be though.

Attachments

• b6256c15_30e0_4a89_b851_f4e1dfb78878_100.jpeg
    b6256c15_30e0_4a89_b851_f4e1dfb78878_100.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 3,171
The lift does it. With a lift you can pretty much do anything. Best tool I ever bought.

MC

JayG60 said:
Mine is a fairly wide single at 3.6m. It's also a little over the top with a recessed 3.5 tonne scissor lift. My favourite place to be though.

That looks like great project and fantastic garage to do the work in!

I have been looking into a lift for my garage, i can fit a 2/4 post hydralic lift but dont really like the look of them and wont use that much. I have seen a few differnet options on ebay around £1k.

Having never purchased one what are the good makes to buy? Did you go surface or concelled and id so, how deep do you have to cut the floor slab to get yours flush 300mm?

The Dunlop DSL 3T high rise (1.9m) looks good.

http://www.gemco.co.uk/product/dsl3-3-tonne-full-rise-scissor-lift/

Some pics would be good.

Cheers. Here are some more pics.
Mine is a fully recessed ATH hydraulic lift with hidden hydraulics and stand alone hydraulic control panel.
It lifts my Landrover Discovery no problem and leaves doors clear and all wheels off the ground so is ideal for working on cars IMHO.
Was a big treat to myself after so many years of lying on cold floors and working on axle stands and jacks :)
Its now the resting place for the Project 997.

Jay

Attachments

• garage_3_142.jpg
    garage_3_142.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 3,051
  • garage_2_491.jpg
    garage_2_491.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 3,051
  • garage_148.jpg
    garage_148.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 3,051
I was going to post a picture of my car in the garage, but after seeing JayG60's garage I have been overcome with garage shame :sad:

That is an amazing man cave, love the "bond style" lifts.

Anyhow, pics of my hovel attached.

All tucked up for winter :cloud9:

Attachments

• img_1574_212.jpg
    img_1574_212.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 2,931
911tom said:
Phil 997 said:
Mine lives outside while the bikes, go carts, scooters , live in the garage :eek: :x but have the builders here knocking up an outhouse so the kids stuff can go in there and i might finally get to put the car away , bit of a pain having to keep getting it out as I drive it most days. :thumb:

Electric door is the answer to that. Save time scraping ice in the winter so should be easier.
I had an electric door installed earlier this year. It's better than sex.......I am 65 though :D

Cybot7 said:
I had an electric door installed earlier this year. It's better than sex.......I am 65 though :D

Not too dissimilar, push the right buttons and get it up every time :thumb:

rabbitstew said:
My turbo lives on the drive, as my double garage is full of my gym equipment and motorbikes etc, however I have just extended it into a 5m x 12m garage so I am hoping I should be able to get the turbo inside over winter.

Cost wise, adding a 5 x 6metre extension on the back of the garage cost me around £16,000 including a new £2000 horman electric sectional double garage door on the front, 2 new rear windows and a steel security personnel door on the back. The garage has brick walls & flat roof.

At my old house I had a purpose build wooden garage / work shop, in which you could easily get 4 cars. That came in slightly cheaper. That was built in wooden sections on a reinforced concrete slab, with shiplap on the outside and osb board inside with a pitched roof.

Costs can add up depending on where you want to draw the line. I just replaced all my fluorescent tube lights in the garage with LED versions and that alone came to £400, however the difference in brightness is huge. Also painting the walls white helps. For the floor, I got 20litres of industrial floor paint off ebay for about £40 which worked out loads cheaper than buying those 5litre tins of floor paint from screwfix.

Thanks Rabbitstew,

Place I'm moving into is a bungalow with a single garage joined on the end (pitched roof). Looks like brick on the outside and breeze block inside (plastered) so I would probably be looking at extending it using the same construction out to the side.

I guess best thing is to get some quotes from local builders once moved in and then start saving! :)

Addo said:
JayG60 said:

That looks like great project and fantastic garage to do the work in!

I have been looking into a lift for my garage, i can fit a 2/4 post hydralic lift but dont really like the look of them and wont use that much. I have seen a few differnet options on ebay around £1k.

Having never purchased one what are the good makes to buy? Did you go surface or concelled and id so, how deep do you have to cut the floor slab to get yours flush 300mm?

The Dunlop DSL 3T high rise (1.9m) looks good.

http://www.gemco.co.uk/product/dsl3-3-tonne-full-rise-scissor-lift/

Some pics would be good.

Jays garage does indeed look awesome, love the lift.

I bought a Quick Jacks BL-5000SLX lift last year, its portable so you can use it whereever you want, cost £1200. Not cheap, but as you get older you tend to not like lying on cold garage floors as much.

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Thanks Rabbitstew,

Place I'm moving into is a bungalow with a single garage joined on the end (pitched roof). Looks like brick on the outside and breeze block inside (plastered) so I would probably be looking at extending it using the same construction out to the side.

I guess best thing is to get some quotes from local builders once moved in and then start saving! :)

Sounds like similar construction to my garage, bricks outside, breeze block inside. Definitely get several quotes. Ive just had a 45m2 side extension done on the house and the prices varied from £1100 per m2 to £1600 per m2. Also dont forget planning permission & building regs. As my garage extension was on the rear it was permitted development, but anything on the side or front of the house needed planning. You may also need an architect to knock up technical drawings which go to the planners... the costs soon add up.

I think next time I would just build it myself rather than get builders in. Laying bricks looked similar to the kids lego - however the bricklayers charged £250 a day for their time!

Re: 992

PorscheNewbie2020 said:
Does anyone have any idea if a 992 will fit in a single
Garage?

It's 6ft 1" wide with big doors so it would be tight and very difficult to get in and out of.

My new girl sleeps in a single garage.

Need to get some shelving up and some Porsche stuff on the walls but plenty of inspiration in this thread :thumb:

Attachments

• img_7183_copy_180.jpg
    img_7183_copy_180.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,108
Hi

Some lovely garages and cars here guys.

Has anyone done a twin shipping container (or variation thereof) conversion?

Wonder if it is worth the hassle vs cost saving. They are temporary structures and I need the space for car(s) 993/986 plus gym stuff.

All the best

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back