Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential daily driver, lots of miles :) (Now Actual Driver)

Daily driver 20 months in... 35,000 miles under her belt.

Epic performance through all the seasons, no issue with the snow and icy conditions. It's been faultless, literally... have had absolutely no problems whatsoever, no dealer repairs or complaints, squeaks or rattles. Purely the windscreen from a unfortunate stone chip over a year ago.

Running costs to date:
10,000 mile oil change £315
20,000 mile service £485
Porsche replaced windscreen £100
Tax disc £220
30,000 mile oil change £315
@33,000 miles first set of front tyres, 2nd set of rears £1,000 (can't believe that original fronts lasted 33,000 miles!!! benefit of a light car)

Totals approaching 2yrs of a 991.2:
£1,600 of rubber
£1,115 of servicing (£630 of my own choice of oil change)
£220 of tax disc
£3k Insurance (business use and parked on street)

So, £6k for 2yrs of 40,000 miles of glorious 911 grins. Fuel is working out about 28mpg, but i get a fuel card with work, so i purely pay tax on that... circa 3,200 litres of fuel in two years would be £4k of fuel so circa £1,600 tax paid on that.

Bargain!!! the man maths is working out so far... the residuals at 80,000 miles will be interesting if i keep to 4yrs :D

The only thing i'd replace this with, is another new 911. I'd possibly go for a targa next, if they did in a 2wd car, but don't personally fancy a 4wd 911. Possibly get the glass roof next time, is the only thing i could thin of that may want different... i'd be happy with exact same spec again, all the options have worked out awesome. Such a practical car... daughter now 6yrs old and loves it. Trips to the DIY shop and the local tip always with ease.

I'm so glad that i went for the base Carrera 2, it's frickin awesome!!!

Spoke too soon... overheated, recovered and at the dealership for diagnostic...

I assume thermostat or water pump, given it was only a simple motorway journey and the coolant temperature was fluctuating significantly and dash advised to pull over and allow engine to cool... coolant levels were fine.

See what happens this week. :dont know:

it may be that the car was complaining it was being driven to gently ;)

Allegedly a common 991.2 issue, 4x 911's this month at the dealer this week that have overheated from an air trap

Can't fathom what causes an air trap on a live engine

Couple of techs at OPCs I talked to before buying my 991.1 mentioned that there are solenoids in the cooling system that have been known to fail aparently. Warranty repair. Not seen as a big issue if not driven after the warning appears. Hope this is what you experienced.

Collected the car... been drained and re-filled. Working fine. Three other 911 owners collecting their car today for sale issue. Have about 600 miles to do with work this week so will be intriguing.

Ok, so that didn't work then... it overheated again after 80 miles of driving.

The local Porsche centre was truly excellent and from a phone car from afar they delivered to me and had me in a replacement car within 20 minutes!!! that was incredible service.

They now have 5 911's in with them with the same fault... :eek:

Must be a software issue for so many at the same time, unless its a common component failure with this warmer weather?

Random one... it turned out to be the coolant cap... the seal was letting air pass, so it was drawing air in. Easiest mechanical repair ever, and has been fine ever since!

The valves have been a problem since these cars came out .. there was a recall so 7-9 valves replaced depending on spec.

Then there was a recall on the recall ! same valves changed yet again for another modified type .

Rad cap is a new one on me though , lack of pressure means a low boiling point of 100 degrees instead of about 115 when under pressure .

Anyways .. thanks for passing this on .. its a new one for me and i appreciate being told things like this :thumb: .

Car at just over 2yrs old and just got to 40,000 miles...

(No coolant issue repeat since the coolant cap was replaced, so that worked spot on. Had another turbo oil seal go, so that was replaced at service.)

40k 2/yr service, £1k:
- Full Service, inc spark plugs
- Aircon Service
- Brake fluid change

Amazingly brake pads and discs are sound!!! When i had my RS6, brake servicing was relentless... the skinny light 911 proving mega efficient on brake wear, as i was expecting at least £1-£2k for new brakes this service. Still on original brakes all round!!!

So running total of £1,600 of rubber and £2,000 of servicing for 40k miles and that now sees me through for another year to take it up to the 60k mile mark... given the tyre history, the only thing i will need will be a set of rear tyres, (i will change the oil early again and continue with 10k mile oil changes).

From a week of mixed driving, the Macan courtesy car does 5mpg less than the 911... so therefore save money, buy a 911 instead for bargain motoring!

Ooooooo the decision, do i stick with this for another one year or two years?... I seriously can't fault it, its comfortable and practical. (The basic 911 seats far more comfortable than the Macan seat) Dilemma if to order the new 911 for September and my 3yr / 60k milestone? From what i've seen, I prefer the look of this car than the replacement, but will wait to see in the flesh.

The hardest decision will be colour! lol, loving the sapphire blue and blue leather interior. I'm tempted to go a little retro jps style and order black with gold alloys, black leather with yellow stitching and yellow seatbelts.

Epic epic everyday car!!

One minor issue, from opening and closing the bonnet/boot, the screen wash pipe snapped in half... kindly replaced the whole pipe whilst i waited.

Deposit placed on 992, not sure yet if to collect in the spring or wait for mine to hit 3yrs and collect 1st Sept? I'm thinking 1st Sept, as my 991.2 probably won't incur any servicing costs in the next 9 months. Probably a set of rear boots the only thing.

I'm going for the same spec as my current Carrera (with the same toys...) but instead of Blue, going for:
  • GT Silver
    Will wait to see what other alloys they release before lock-down
    Black leather with contrast yellow stitching
    Yellow seatbelts
    Sports chrono stopwatch in yellow
    Thinking wood trim at present from the positive reports
    Wish you could order the brake callipers in yellow, as have no interest in Carbon

Great thread - looks like you're hooked!! Pity your Christmas present won't be with you until September!👍

Must admit, from having the 911, honestly can't think of what you could change to for all round practicality, performance, desirability and value for money as a family daily-runner with 4 seats (granted rear are for the kids, but absolutely perfect for age 3 to 11).

There are a few near-cars, but they are either not a patch on design quality or on depreciation or running costs and reliability.

6appeal said:
One minor issue, from opening and closing the bonnet/boot, the screen wash pipe snapped in half... kindly replaced the whole pipe whilst i waited.

Deposit placed on 992, not sure yet if to collect in the spring or wait for mine to hit 3yrs and collect 1st Sept? I'm thinking 1st Sept, as my 991.2 probably won't incur any servicing costs in the next 9 months. Probably a set of rear boots the only thing.

I'm going for the same spec as my current Carrera (with the same toys...) but instead of Blue, going for:
  • GT Silver
    Will wait to see what other alloys they release before lock-down
    Black leather with contrast yellow stitching
    Yellow seatbelts
    Sports chrono stopwatch in yellow
    Thinking wood trim at present from the positive reports
    Wish you could order the brake callipers in yellow, as have no interest in Carbon

Shame you can't drive one with the PCCB, there would be no way you would want 'normal" brakes, ever again! ps isn't Racomg yellow available :grin:

Ha! Suppose so, but the brakes are seriously good as they are. Have done such a range of driving and brake performance has always been excellent and have great trust in them.

I don't think you can order them painted, would be an aftermarket paint job.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back