Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS vs Turbo S: Porsche Experience [pics]

911_AS

I recently had my second Porsche Experience at Silverstone, and thought I'd share my views with my fellow 911UK'ers.

The first Experience I had was a couple of years ago, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. For those who haven't been, or are considering going, I would 100% recommend it.

You get to spend a few hours driving 911's around a track, with an instructor sat right next to you, giving you tonnes of advice and pointers. The facility itself is great, there are some lovely cars on display, the staff are all very friendly, and the restaurant is also pretty decent. But that's not why we go is it?

I had pre-booked the cars: I chose a 911 Turbo S Cabrio and a Carrera GTS Coupe. My mate took the GTS first, and I was in the Turbo.

I'd never driven a Turbo before, and I'll be honest , I was a little nervous. The figures on paper - 570 BHP, 0-60 2.8s - cannot be fully appreciated until experienced. Needless to say, the car was crazy quick! The Launch Control alone had me in disbelief, it's stupid fast; I was genuinely astonished just how much power it has. Imagine a Yamaha R1 motorbike with 4 wheels - that is the Turbo S.

I eventually chose to switch cars with my mate, and jumped into the GTS. A few minutes into the drive, I fell in love with it. The Carrera GTS 991.2 is 'the' best Porsche I've ever driven.

The steering was so precise, I felt supreme confidence when cornering. You point the car where you want to go, you're there instantly. The Turbo does comply, but needs a little more persuasive muscle. The GTS, however, is just so well balanced and perfect.

Style wise, I've always preferred the GTS. It's slimmer, more sleek shape looks more understated, when compared to the more bullish Turbo. Don't get me wrong, the Turbo is an attractive car, just a bit too beefy for my frame. The interior was the same, so cannot fault either car. Although, I really liked the Alcantara on the GTS, the lack of leather inside the cabin gave it a cheaper feel, rather than the intended sporty feel.

Lets talk about noise. Hands down, the GTS with the PSE sounded way way better. I wouldn't say the Turbo is 'disappointing', but way more lacklustre. It just didn't have the conviction or the force you'd expect from a 570 BHP car. The GTS: simply perfect.

I enjoyed that car so much more than I expected to, I could write a lot more, but I'll conclude by stating that I am in love with the GTS. It was such a capable, precise, and fun car. Literally ticked every box.

If I was really being overly fussy, the only things I would possibly change are the dashboard - this needs to be a little more luxurious - and I'd reconsider having black centre-lock wheels, as I do think there are a few variations to be considered with the all-important rims.

The car really has gotten underneath my skin. I love my C2S, it's a superb machine, but I want a GTS now. I swear those damn swines at Porsche do this on purpose! The drive has created in me some level of anxiety, which can only be relieved by way of purchase. If only Mrs. S felt the same...

Right now, the car is not in my reach financially, sadly. In the meantime, I'll just look at my desktop wallpaper, which now proudly displays a GTS Cabrio! Why do we always yearn for what we don't have? Why?!

Attachments

• img_1336_772.jpg
    img_1336_772.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 3,231
  • img_1549_641.jpg
    img_1549_641.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 3,231
  • img_2822_125.jpg
    img_2822_125.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 3,231
  • img_6633_114.jpg
    img_6633_114.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 3,231
  • img_9204_403.jpg
    img_9204_403.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 3,231
:thumb: always a good day out at PEC :thumb: best sales tactic they have :worship:

G2 said:
:thumb: always a good day out at PEC :thumb: best sales tactic they have :worship:

Definitely. If one day I buy a GTS, it will be purely because of the PEC. Those swines!!!!

Great write up, chap I know recently got a 991.2 GTS having owned a few 981/991 (inc GT4), he is deeply impressed with it too, the ultimate 911 Carrera it seems :thumb:

Great write up and a really interesting comparrison.

I have done the Porsche Evolution day (930, 993 & 991 50th Edition) and the TurboS. Both days were amazing, best fun I have had with my trousers on! Although, I did make myself sick as a dog doing donuts in the TurboS. I had to abandon the drive and let the missus do the last 30 mins!

I must say, the more I hear about the GTS the more I want one. :thumb:

jotaking said:

I have done the Porsche Evolution day (930, 993 & 991 50th Edition) and the TurboS. Both days were amazing, best fun I have had with my trousers on! Although, I did make myself sick as a dog doing donuts in the TurboS. I had to abandon the drive and let the missus do the last 30 mins!

+1. I really want a turbo, but most who have a turbo want a GTS, which makes me wonder...... :?:

spongebob squarepants said:
jotaking said:

+1. I really want a turbo, but most who have a turbo want a GTS, which makes me wonder...... :?:

The grass is always greener :?:

I drove a PDK Miami Blue Carrera 4 GTS convertible at PEC. It was a sensationally good car. If I could only have one car, possibly it would be that.

spongebob squarepants said:
jotaking said:

991.2 GTS is your option then...GTS "and" it is a turbo... Welcome to "spend someone elses cash friday" :floor:

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I can honestly say, the GTS really is the perfect sweet spot in the 911 range. If I could have one, it would be that car, hands down!

I've driven a lot of 911's, owned three, had courtesy cars, friends cars, been out on the track etc. but there was just something about that GTS that was more memorable than anything else. It's totally got under my skin, and now it has been placed on my mental vision board.

To Future Acquisitions ... :thumb:

911_AS said:
Thanks for the feedback gents.

I can honestly say, the GTS really is the perfect sweet spot in the 911 range. If I could have one, it would be that car, hands down!

I've driven a lot of 911's, owned three, had courtesy cars, friends cars, been out on the track etc. but there was just something about that GTS that was more memorable than anything else. It's totally got under my skin, and now it has been placed on my mental vision board.

To Future Acquisitions ... :thumb:

Having owned various 997's over the years (C2S, GTS, GT3's and Turbo) for me the 991.1 GTS has been the one that I have enjoyed the most, very impressed with it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back