Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hartech oversized engine testing with 911&Porsche World.

bazhart said:
No apology needed Alex and Phil, I think that if we do what we are considering to your 3.8 Gen 2 - you will not be envious anymore of the Cayman S and anyway you can have a drive in it when you visit!

Baz

Hi Baz, I always enjoy reading your posts, but that last post of yours had me
:Dance-Tap: :yahoo: :clap: :dance:
catch up soon ,and I get to have a go in the cayman :worship: :worship:

Baz,

Any ideas on pricing yet?

We will be ready with pricing soon -sorry for the delay.

It will be different to a normal std rebuild because we tend to re-coat existing useable pistons (with new rings) wherever possible but they will have to be new for this conversion and have been especially manufactured for this application with volumes influencing prices - so anticipating public response and likely order quantities will influence the prices.

We are also reluctant to supply cases or engines initially preferring to build the whole car up to make sure our reputation is maintained. We may change that after successful rebuilds establish their reliability.

If you need a rebuild anyway it.will probably be between £1500and £2000 extra from a full rebuild for the additional performance and when you see the results I am sure you will agree that is a small price for such an all round increase in overall performance.

The Cayman 3.9 will also need a different crank but then there maybe some discount for a good old std unit (and for pistons).

All this makes fixed pricing difficult until we get further down the road.

Owners with undamaged cars will,be put on a list and cars will be rebuilt as batches (since they can still have use of them while they are waiting) but owners with failed engines that need fixing will,take priority over existing stock.

I will provide more information after the article is published (don't want to steal their thunder after they have been taking such a lot of trouble to produce a comprehensive story over several pages) and anyway we are not ready for production just yet.

Once enough examples have expressed their satisfaction at the performance we may consider selling the test cars although we may also then start to add hotter inlet and exhaust systems and even cams etc although for normal road use the change in all round torque should satisfy most people.

I can tell you that Alex is right about the power though -somewhere between the GTS and a GT4.

Baz

Nice one Alex you lucky man, will read the write up when it comes out & like the idea of a Gen 2 upgrade when the day comes.

Nice write up Alex, and what a lucky boy you are :grin:

I can just imagine my 987 Boxster S with a 3.9 :cloud9:

I`ll be going the 996.1 3.4 to 3.7 conversion route next year Baz, my 3.4 is on 109K and I want to catch it before the mains give up, adding more to the costs. Would be good to have a drive of your "demo"..........things like that always seem to open my cheque book for some reason :D

Some idea of timescales and availability would be most useful, along with ball park costs.

I must get up to one of your Northern Boys meets, maybe next month :thumb:

Well there's this Saturday if you can make it Kris, although personally I'd wait for the Christmas PU round Manchester. Should be able to get a cheap hotel.

I was toying with the idea of popping up this Saturday Alex, but apparently I have to go down to Essex as the girlfriend needs a service :floor:

I`ll keep the Christmas PU in mind though ( but watch out for MC if he comes as he will drink you and everyone else under the table ) :grin:

I can't do this weekend, down in London with the family.
I'd love to do a Christmas get together though, just need a date fixed for it.

I will hopefully geta chance to try the 3.9 next time I am at Hartech, I will be doing engine work on my C4 when the suspension and bodywork are sorted. Hartech will be involved.

MC

:)

LlOHoBy.jpg

Great write up. Looking forward to reading the article (December issue according to the magazine website: https://911porscheworldmag.bigcartel.com/product/august-14-911)

Maybe my old Cayman S engine will be reborn as a 3.9 for some lucky punter if Baz wants it off me... (hint hint Baz ;) )

Anyway - good work Alex :thumb:

Interesting views, will buy the mag and have a read.

One thing I wonder about is this- the 3.4 is often considered the'sweeter' engine vs the 3.6 as it benefits from revs. Does the bore out to 3.9 make it even more torquey and hence pointless to rev? Were I to have it done I would like to capture some GT3 magic... a more free-revving lively feel.

Give me a call Waldron!

The 3.9 is created by increasing both cylinder bore and stroke and although we don't have time or facilities to allow everyone expressing interest to test ours - we might make some exceptions for genuine parties ready to place an order.

This is why we invited owners of standard cars as well as the test driver/editor and the article backs up why the conversion is so successful with proper technical explanations.

I think it makes interesting reading - so e-mail me if you are interested on [email protected]

We also tested 2 other would be go faster mods recently and both made the cars less powerful and slower - whereas our tests were just about as independent as they could possibly be.

Baz

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back