Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How long to genuinely feel familiar with a PDK?

Are people really engaging Sport mode without warming up the engine? I don't go above 3k revs until the engine it at about 70c, which takes at least 5-10 mins if not more.

For me to really get used to PDK I would say it took about a week. But that was on the basis it was used as a 2nd car but driven in Manual all of the time. At first you find yourself constantly looking for what gear you are in especially 2/3rd but you get to a point where you just 'know" and it becomes as intuitive as a manual.

Now my normal process is:

- start car
- turn on sport mode
- drive in auto until oil temp >50 (it then very quickly rises to >80)
- flick over to manual and use the paddles

I do this even when driving in traffic mainly because its just so much fun to control the revs and the noise it makes. I find sport mode does not hold onto the gears long enough and sport + holds onto them too long and its just more fun in manual.

Nb paddles make a massive difference to the experience compared to buttons :wink:

jonttt said:
Now my normal process is:

- start car
- turn on sport mode
- drive in auto until oil temp >50 (it then very quickly rises to >80)
- flick over to manual and use the paddles
Doesn't that make it longer to warm the car up? Auto mode shifts up way too early if you're driving sedately so you'd be driving around at 1-2k rpm.

benbuhagiar said:
Are people really engaging Sport mode without warming up the engine? I don't go above 3k revs until the engine it at about 70c, which takes at least 5-10 mins if not more.

I do this. Takes about 10miles/20 mins to get to 70/80c, then sports mode then foot to the floor.

I did 300-400 miles in north Wales last weekend taking in some excellent driving roads and didn't use manual once. On day 2 I was in sports mode for most of the day and the pdk was unbelievable.

It takes my BGTS about 15 minutes to get the oil above 70C and a bit longer in winter.

The paddles are great for most of the time but it's a good idea to also get used to flicking the gear stick to change gear - when driving through sharp bends requiring me to move my hands on the wheel (eg if my arms would cross) it's a lot easier to flick the gear stick than find the required paddle!

Why has it blanked out flick with an ing on it?

I don't like leaving the car in auto to warm up: I feel that it's changing up far too early and lugging the engine when cold ... trying to pull sixth at 1000rpm is wince-inducing. I also feel like the gearbox is slipping the clutch too to soften the changes. Eew.

Since I'm happy to drive it in sport & manual, I can keep the revs between 2-3k rpm where I want them to be for the first 10-15 minutes or so. And in winter I use an engine block heater to pre-warm the block (coolant gets to around 35c or so) and speed up the process/reduce cold start wear.

I think it is important to get some heat into all of the engine, gearbox, tyres and brakes before driving hard.

MaxA said:
Since I'm happy to drive it in sport & manual, I can keep the revs between 2-3k rpm where I want them to be for the first 10-15 minutes or so. And in winter I use an engine block heater to pre-warm the block (coolant gets to around 35c or so) and speed up the process/reduce cold start wear.

I assume a block heater is the norm where you live, and necessary too, but I've never come across one in the UK (loads of you will now come forward to say you have them I bet!) the temperature is rarely more than a few degrees below freezing.
Agree about keeping the revs up a bit and engine loads light until warmed.

I'm afraid to say I tired of the PDK. Its too easy just to leave it in auto mode (as it's so good) and I'm afraid I didn't really like driving it as a manual, as it felt a bit contrived. Its a very personal thing I know. So, I've gone to a manual car now and I'm soooo much happier. It would be a very different story if my car was a daily driver, I'm sure. I suppose I never could get the feel of driving a 993 out of my head, so craved the engagement you get with a manual 'box, but in a more modern machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back