Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I Sell??

forever

Monza
So i have had my 911 Turbo X50 for 5 years now, but with three kids, there is always something going on that stops me using it, its kept in tip top condition by 9e but last year i did 240 miles, the year before 390...
Dont think its losing me money, and thats not really the issue here, but i just dont ever drive it.....
Thoughts???? Fancy a Caterham, as i have not scratched that itch yet, and that maybe a better garage queen :grin: :grin: :grin:

Think you have answered your own question there...

Or you could buy a 993, you'd be one of the most prolific users at those mileages :grin:

White socks and sandals are optional :hand:

:thumb:

T8 will be along to tell you about Sale or Return :grin:

Auction or PX maybe :dont know:

Or just keep it if that's possible, buy the Caterham, whichever you don't like then get rid of :thumb:

HSC911 said:
T8 will be along to tell you about Sale or Return :grin:

Not until he's exhausted several batteries in his camera taking pics of all those Porches in California. :thumbs:

If you're not using it, it's probably simply best to sell, as it's a hassle to store, insure and maintain and just ties up capital. :dont know:

Three of my biker friends have just decided to do that. It was a wonderful summer and between them, they managed to go out about 3 times. So there's a Ducati, a Triumph Speed Triple and a Triumph Bonneville all up for sale (over here of course).

I'm fortunate to have a caterham (which I built 20 years ago) and a 996.2 C2 - both as second cars. I think you'll find the same problem with the seven as the 911, perhaps more so. If the weather is looking slightly iffy then I'd not use the seven. Its OK in the rain though you do have to alter your driving style and you will get wet even hood up!

I dont think its a good time to sell - markets are stagnent. If you're buying ideal time to bargain hard. The caterham market is the same as all the others and there have been some absolute bargains around - there was car recently that went for £7600 that needed a gearbox repair (new roll pin on selector) that any home mechanic would do in a day/weekend (engine & box out). There is an original Superlight No7 for sale on the Lotus Seven club forum for sensible money considering its spec & build number.

If you need any seven buying advice let me know!
Ian

I think the solution is to start using it as your daily car like I do with mine. If mine was just a weekend toy it would never get used, like my motorbikes havent been used in 3 or 4 years now.

rabbitstew said:
I think the solution is to start using it as your daily car like I do with mine. If mine was just a weekend toy it would never get used, like my motorbikes havent been used in 3 or 4 years now.
My daily duties are taken with my RS3 :D , agree on not a good time to sell, the ideal would be someone who want to sell a 7 and get into a turbo, have had a chat with a few retailers, the money is still good for my car, but the market is softer, so will probably just keep it until things get better....

I fee your pain. I have had may toys. Defenders , TR6, Disco2, Rover P5b Coupe, Karmann Ghia, Boxster.

I had enough last year when I had to replace types on both Boxster and Disco at the same time, knowing that I would never wear out the tyres on either.

So I sold them both and got the C4S - or as i told my wife - the people carrier version of the Boxster! We have 5 kids. She has a 7 sweater and I have the 911. I cycle to work and so the 911 doesn't get used daily.

So my solution is to do a road trip with mates every May. Usually in the UK as the roads are generally better than Ireland. Circa 1200 miles in a weekend.

So my suggestion to you is to do a road trip - take the wife or do it with mates. If you don't enjoy it, sell the 911. Easier to do it with mates and bribe wife to babysit the kids!

Hope this helps

It really depends on what makes you happy about owning a 911. If you're content in the fact that you own an iconic car, and a turbo at that, which you can use as and when you chose then no need to sell.

However, if you're someone that needs to feel you are using your car to at least some of it's potential then I understand you would think about selling.

I think the down fall of the 996 is that they are just so competent, so just using them for short trips etc is never going to feel like you are properly using it. I agree with Ghianightmae, it's not the total miles you do, it's the quality of those miles.

I've owned a 996.1 3.4 for 3yrs now and I also own a 1970 Alfa 1750gtv. I do about 1500 miles in each a year. I've done some decent trips in the 996, done a few track days and generally enjoy owning it. But I always feel like I should be driving it to the south of France or the 'Ring to get the most out of it, which like you I find hard with 2 small children in tow. Where as every trip, even just starting up the think, in the Alfa is a proper event.

As an all round car enthusiast though, I have to say that a Caterham itch is an itch worth scratching. I've had 2 and in my experience there really is nothing else offering the same direct, raw, light weight feel.

My last one was an ex academy car, and while I did use it on the road, it was mostly used on track days and for 3 yrs of competing in the club sprint and hill climb championship. While the mileage was probably only a thousand a year, I was very content knowing that 99% of those miles were doing exactly what the car was intended for and so I felt I was using it to it's full potential. So I do agree, if used properly, a Caterham is a good shout to get your thrills for some quality miles, and then shove back in the garage until the next time.

I do 2-3000 miles a year but each one requires forethought, planning and an excuse. I might take the scenic route to work on a sunny day, take my son on a road trip to a meet or show or pop over to stay with my parents. I never just get up early and 'go out for a blast" any more.
I also enjoy owning the car though. Keeping on top of it, fiddling with it and the forums. I think on balance it earns its keep.
Having said that I tried a speculative sale this year. I decided I could put the money I'd take for it to better use. Thing is the market and me didn't agree! So I've kept it. It's worth more to me than it would have sold for.
Not sure what the advice is really! Except perhaps find your threshold and stick to it. In the past once I've adopted the 'sale mindset" (and found what I want next) I've talked myself out of keeping a car. That didn't happen with the 996 because it does everything I want it to so well.

I was in same position right up until the end of June.

I think i did about 1,200 miles in the turbo over the last three years but was loathed to sell it as it was still nice to go for a solo blast very occasionally and was worth quite a bit more than I paid for it in 2010.

The decision was made for me when a woman in a brand new Disocvery wrote it off while it was parked outside my childrens' school. It was the second time in 2018 I had used it!!

The flip side is now choosing what to replace it with which has been fun. Last week drove a 2004 C4S manual and instantly preferred the driving experince to the turbo.

However, I think somthing Italian is calling....

The bookatrack Caterham dealer near me at Donington circuit, let you hire a Caterham for the day for £200. A try before you buy. Money is refunded if you buy one of their cars.

Mileage limit is 120. They're also ok if those miles are on track.:thumb:

A pal of mine just did it, with the good intent of checking it fits his garage, checking he is comfortable driving it with roof fitted etc (6'3"), pedal spacing etc.

He said he never even bothered with the roof, it was just so much fun he didn't want to stop.

I have a similar itch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back