Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear number plate mounting without screws?

Sy

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi All,

I have managed to now transfer my private plate toy 997, and wish to fix the plate to the car without screws using double sided sticky pads for a cleaner look.

I see there are raised screw mounting holes moulded to the car to mount the rear plate. I wondered what my options are to get the rear plate to secure properly to the rear of the car properly, since I can see the sticky pads potentially not being able to adhere properly to the car due to the raised screw mounting holes

I hope those who have replaced the rear plate know what I am on about. If not I can take a picture and post on here.

On Gen 2 cars the rear number plate is removed for servicing
adjusting the tension on the drive belt
hence the large hole behind the no plate

I always tape my plates on, I just think the screws look un-tidy. I use 1" thick tape which is just like Alex said above. The tape is for securing car badges and trim etc so it's really strong.

Thanks,

I have the double sided tape stuff already, but the raised screw holes looked thicker than the tape I was using so didn't want to stick it on and then the plate fall off on the motorway. I'll have a go using what I have in that case, since I already have it to hand. Maybe get some thicker stuff if it doesn't feel secure.

Sy said:
Thanks,

I have the double sided tape stuff already, but the raised screw holes looked thicker than the tape I was using so didn't want to stick it on and then the plate fall off on the motorway. I'll have a go using what I have in that case, since I already have it to hand. Maybe get some thicker stuff if it doesn't feel secure.

Stick the double sided on top on the double sided until you get the right thickness :thumb:

I used Velcro for mine. I had some quite wide stuff - 1 inch from memory.
Can't remember if I put one wide strip across the width in between the two raised parts or 3 vertical strips placed along the plate.
Hasn't come off though!

rob_p said:
I used Velcro for mine. I had some quite wide stuff - 1 inch from memory.
Can't remember if I put one wide strip across the width in between the two raised parts or 3 vertical strips placed along the plate.
Hasn't come off though!

I have done this in the past as well it lasted for years and never came off, it also means you can swap them for show plates or ones with / without suspect spacing if plod pull you over. I have used pads as well but they glue can fail on a hot day.

With double sided tape you can layer one bit on top of the other .. its what i tend to do .. 1 layer is never enough .. use 2 ... or more .

It does tend to stick better as well .

I use 1 inch wide by about 2 mm thick tape.

As Mark said .. gen 2 and you need to use screws .. we have to remove the plate to change the drive belt .

deMort said:
With double sided tape you can layer one bit on top of the other .. its what i tend to do .. 1 layer is never enough .. use 2 ... or more .

It does tend to stick better as well .

I use 1 inch wide by about 2 mm thick tape.

As Mark said .. gen 2 and you need to use screws .. we have to remove the plate to change the drive belt .

If you go with the Velcro on a gen 2 you satisfy both the no screw look and also removable

Velcro is a great idea since I do have a subtle space in my plate, and then a swap over set in case of 'the plod' and MOT time.

Not sure it solves my issue of needing to raise the plate from the car to clear the moulded screw mounts which are on the rear bumper, but well worth a try because I'm assuming Velcro tape will be inherently thicker.

Ordered this heavy duty 1' thick stuff: VELCRO Brand - Heavy Duty Stick On | Superior Holding Power Indoors & Outdoor Use | 50mm x 1m Tape | Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00186Q9AK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1JVSBbB3DSY65

*Post deleted* due to duplicate posting (I don't know where the delete button is!)

mark pearce said:
On Gen 2 cars the rear number plate is removed for servicing
adjusting the tension on the drive belt
hence the large hole behind the no plate

I wondered what that was for!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back