Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A stupid Newbie question about tyres.

Johnd52 said:
easternjets said:
As only one manufacturer is allowed to supply tyres in F1 I don't think it is relevant. Plus the compounds etc used in F1 are totally different to what we put on our cars.

Plus I found that the tyre blankets were using more power than it took to cook the Sunday roast, and were a pain when I just wanted to go to Sainsbury's.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Different types of tyres are obviously different, the Cup2 tyres on my GT3 did need care when cold/wet, but were limpets when warm/dry, but with regular tyres I've noticed more difference between newer and older tyres than between different brands.

Happy to be influenced by the wisdom of crowds (e.g. about the PS4S), but the cars I have now had relatively new tyres when I got them (991 Pzeros, Boxster Yokohama) and both feel every bit as good as the Michelins (and Bridgestones) I've had in the past, which is a relief really given the negativity Pirelli seem to get :thumb:

MJA911 said:
Different types of tyres are obviously different, the Cup2 tyres on my GT3 did need care when cold/wet, but were limpets when warm/dry, but with regular tyres I've noticed more difference between newer and older tyres than between different brands.

Happy to be influenced by the wisdom of crowds (e.g. about the PS4S), but the cars I have now had relatively new tyres when I got them (991 Pzeros, Boxster Yokohama) and both feel every bit as good as the Michelins (and Bridgestones) I've had in the past, which is a relief really given the negativity Pirelli seem to get :thumb:

Tyres are very subjective, and I think much comes down to the confidence (or otherwise) that they give you. My 997 came on P Zeros and they were fine in terms of tread depth and wear, but they gave me no confidence at all on the track, and felt greasy and slippery, even though they were not overheating. I think they were just getting aged in the Dubai heat. The 997 is a lot more predictable and fun on Michelins; it would likely be a thing of wonder on Cup2s (in the dry).

I've not tried Bridgestones on the 997 even though I have different versions (both RE002s and S001s) on our other cars right now. And I ran 050a's on a previous car. I liked the 050s, the RE002s are OK ish for a summer tyre (not that great on a dry track), and the S001s are just a bit underwhelming: they feel like a premium tyre, not a sporty tyre. I won't be replacing either like-for-like.

I have always thought that it's worth getting the latest in terms of tyres: the technology is always improving.

Agree with getting the latest technology MaxA, can be frustrating with the N rating system when you have a stifled choice of the latest tyres, a big culprit on that for the 997 being the PS4S of course. Confidence is key, only time tyres have scared me was on my 993, it came with some very old Pzero Rossis.

I was in Dubai last week as it happens, based in Internet City, would have thought it would be a great place for Michelin's Cup2 tyres given they're a recent tyre using the latest tech, they're N0 in 997 sizes and look good too.

A friend of mine has a 997 GTS on Porsche Warranty, his logic was that he'd rather have Cup2 N0 and benefit from latest technology than a PS2 N2 and put what is now quite an old tyre on his car. He's happy with his choice.

Care is needed with the Cup2, they need a little heat in them (no problem for you!) and then they work fine, even in damp to wet conditions, their problem is cold/wet and standing water.

Thanks for the thoughts, MJA. I am no longer in Dubai, but I would have loved to have run Cup2s out there. Funnily enough, they were however an absolute ***** to source. I could eventually have just paid the OPC but they were gouging, in my view, asking for a 3000 AED premium just to mount normal N-rated Michelin tyres (that was nearly £500!) that I needed to keep the warranty. I subsequently found tyres but I did not renew from the OPC, and got a replacement aftermarket warranty from ARM in Dubai.

Now that we have relocated back here to Finland, I'm warranty free, so the N rating is irrelevant to me. Once the current N-rated Michelins expire, I might need a large bottle of brave pills for a set of Cup2s - apart from this summer, this region has the propensity to be pretty cool and wet (a couple of years ago I drove 700km across Sweden, in the wet, on semi-slicks. It was interesting. Not sure I want to do that again. And not in the 997.)

As such, I think I'll be looking for a set of Pilot Sport 4S when the time comes.

Ah, Helsinki, should have spotted that, in fact I recall your posts describing being back in Helsinki, not the ideal territory for Cup2, whereas PS4S an excellent bet. Another friend has them on his 997 Turbo S and is very happy with them in a range of conditions, road and track.

MaxA said:
I would suggest the latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the original sizes, which is the go-to tyre nowadays. I would not want the older Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4 anymore either.

Agree on Pilot Sport 4S being the best choice for the OP - note though that the different between PS4S and PS4 isn't significant, both are latest gen and it's a wheel size thing - PS4 is for wheels up to 18" and PS4S for 19" and above.

I can tell you that my Bridgestones are the same on a track, they go off very quickly and the car starts to act like it's a wet track, not very comforting!
In normal use they are very good, no problems and their wear rate is quite good but if I was at the tyre fitters and they had Pirelli's, Bridgestones or Michelins to choose from I'd have the Michelins in a heart beat, hands down the best tyre, especially so if your doing track days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back