Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yearly oil change

I also change the oil every year regardless of mileage. It's not so much for re-sale value concern, as for the fact that water condenses onto cold surfaces inside the engine at night and then enters the oil. Although it evaporates as the oil warms up, I still worry about the damage the water does and for this reason I refresh the oil early in the spring each year.

I only drive about 3000 miles a year, but most of that is relatively short journeys, so I'm also concerned about how those short journeys could do damage with oil that is even a little bit past its best.

Please note that the above is just my opinion and is not intended to contradict anything anyone else has said.

I get my oil analysed each year (135k and want to keep an eye on copper content - the first sign of worn main bearings).

After 6k and 13 months I sent my used millers off for analysis.

They said its fine and to leave it in for another 10k miles.

It was already recycled at the council tip :sad:

Good call on sticking it in the Volvo Marky. My 996 is my daily snotter so I don't have that option.

When I was young and stupid (yes it is possible I was more stupid than I am now) I used to use the old oil out my Dad's 405 when doing an oil change on my Cavalier :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back