Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Awaiting Insurance Assessment - bike not car

Steve Gom

Monza
On Tuesday evening, on my way home from work on my motorbike I was filtering past a 2 mile queue of stationary traffic on the A1068 a single carriageway. The main A189 (Spine Road) arterial route had been closed 10 mins earlier due to a nasty smash (with a motorbike) hence a significant volume of traffic was now being diverted on the normally steady A1068.

So, with all the traffic heading in my direction being sat there, or crawling forward every few minutes, I was moving along down the middle of the road at approx. 30mph. Unfortunately, the driver of a black Insignia didn't want to wait in the traffic anymore and decided to perform a 'U' turn, driving straight in to my path approx. 3 meters ahead of me.

I braked as hard as I could but couldn't avoid hitting the back three quarters of the car. The lady driver was very apologetic and admitted liability and another person came forward to confirm she had witnessed the incident and provided her details.

No broken bones, but some great bruises. I'm stiff as a board now but OK. The VFR has sustained damage to the front fairing/screen/headlight/instruments and surround and the tops of each of the side fairings but headstock/frame and forks all look fine but I suspect the bike will still be written off.

I've had my VFR for 15 years, it's a limited-edition bike, one of just 50 made to celebrate Honda's 50th Anniversary in 1998. It's been my pride and joy and maintained to a high standard both mechanically and cosmetically in this time and the 80,000 miles I've done on it but will any of this be considered by the insurers though? Or, will I just get a settlement based on a 'leggy' 20 year old VFR 800 – i.e. approx. £900? I know of a few 50th Anniversary bikes like mine which have changed hands at over £3,000 this year, admittedly with less miles than mine but still not in as good order.

I'm keen to get the bike back so I can fix it if the damage is as superficial as I think, or break it for parts if it's not suitable to put back on the road, but how do I do this once the insurer for the 3rd party writes it off. I'm really gutted to be in this situation, perhaps I should have opted for a bespoke agreed valuation policy but 'door closed' and 'horse now bolted' springs to mind.

Any input would be most welcome from anyone in the know. :thumb:

Cheers,
Steve

If you are claiming from the TP Insurer, they'll assess value and deduct value of the salvage for you to keep it.

You should claim for any injuries or clothing damage.

Hopefully the TP Insurer won't have a different idea about liability.

Thanks for this. Just hope the TPs admission at the scene is maintained through the claim.

It'll be the same thing as claiming for anything unusual whether it's a car, bike, boat etc.

Do your research, get as much proof of current values, adverts for sold items matching yours etc etc as you can. Get a letter from an owner's forum / club confirming desirability, rareness etc and an indication of its value.

More info you gather the easier the fight will be... Expect a fight, be prepared for it and hopefully then you won't have one to get what it was worth :thumbs:

I feel for you Steve .. i really do .. those bruises hurt for weeks .

If your policy is anything like mine Was you dont have helmet / clothes or injury cover .. i found speaking direct to the other partys Insurance well worth it and got payed out for my kit .

If you do have this then leave it to them to sort out.

My bike was written off and i said i wanted to buy it back .. i was told its a standard 60% of the payout !!

For me that would have been £3k on a £5k payout .. damage was far to extensive for me to take up that option .

Cheers Glen, I'm gathering a portfolio of 50th Anniversary specific info from the sources mentioned and preparing to make a case for a fair payout.

DeMort - you'll know exactly how I'm feeling I'm sure. Things now aching that I didn't even know I had. I've got legal cover and the solicitors assisting with this said I could claim for my gear. My Rukka Armas suit is 8 years old but did its job well, as did my lid, so will let the solicitor sort that out.

Just hope the sale of an identical bike recently at £3,600 will help me get a decent payout so I can get the bike back and fixed up.

As a biker ive had my fair share of accidents so feel for you. You will ache for a while.

I had a similar crash on my R1 many years back, like in your case it was a woman driver and she was very apologetic, admitted liability and said she hadnt seen me in my bright red power-rangers suit. Witnesses said they couldnt believe she had pulled out on me and it was her fault etc.

Anyhow, her Insurance company dragged their heals for many many months then suddenly said it was 100% my fault and they wouldnt pay out. They waited about 6 months before contacting the witnesses by which time they couldnt remember a thing. After much haggling it ended up being settled as a 50/50 liability, so I only got 50% of the repair estimate for my R1. Hopefully that wont happen to you. What I should have done at the time is get my own statements from the witnesses and get the other driver to put their admission in writing. These days I wear a helmet cam, so there can be no dispute.

The Insurance company should give you the amount of money it would cost you to replace your bike with the same make/model/year/colour/condition & mileage. So, if it will cost you £3000 to get the 50th Anniversary one, then thats what they should pay. They nearly always try it on with their 1st offer, just send them proof of recent sales, pointing out your bikes condition, history etc.

With regards to the salvage, it depends on the Insurance company. In the past ive had a company write a car off, give me full pay out, then tell me I can keep the car for free or they will happily take it away for me. Usually however its more common for them to give you a "buy back" price as to what they think the salvage is worth and its up to you to decide if you want it back or not.

Dont forget to claim for new helmet, leathers & gloves etc.

Co-incidentally I remember the 50th Anniversary VFR, it did look nice. I had a 1996 VFR750 for many years.

Rabbitstew I've completed all the Insurance claim paperwork and the personal injury solicitor is taking things forward for that part of the claim and the replacement kit bit.
It would take a better U turn than the one the 3rd party did in front of me for the fault to shift from her but let's hope the insurers see it that way.

Having done some research with the VFR club site and the subscribers to the 50th Anniversary owners thread I've managed to determine the average price paid for last 3 x 50th Anniversary bikes to sell within the last 2 years was £3,600.
The next previous sale I could find was 4 years ago at Bonhams auction at £2,600, plus buyers premium, bit lower than the more recent sales but still well above the going rate for a standard 98 VFR800 FiW.
It would appear the market for these bikes, like many vehicles which are now approaching 20 years of age, has appreciated recently.
Do you think this factor will be taken into consideration?

There's only 1 bike like mine for sale at the mo for £4,000 and that's the bike that sold at Bonham's at £2,600 so I doubt any settlement will be based on the latest price. ☹️

Steve Gom said:
Having done some research with the VFR club site and the subscribers to the 50th Anniversary owners thread I've managed to determine the average price paid for last 3 x 50th Anniversary bikes to sell within the last 2 years was £3,600.
The next previous sale I could find was 4 years ago at Bonhams auction at £2,600, plus buyers premium, bit lower than the more recent sales but still well above the going rate for a standard 98 VFR800 FiW.
It would appear the market for these bikes, like many vehicles which are now approaching 20 years of age, has appreciated recently.
Do you think this factor will be taken into consideration?

There's only 1 bike like mine for sale at the mo for £4,000 and that's the bike that sold at Bonham's at £2,600 so I doubt any settlement will be based on the latest price. ☹️

Based on that, I would say £3600 to £4000 is the current cost to replace. Doesnt matter what one sold for 4 years ago. Of course, the Insurance company may well try and adjust the price to reflect mileage.

Ill just add .. i told the assesor it had just been serviced , new tyres etc .. pride and joy etc .. he actually came back with a far higher payment than what i expected .. ie i new it was a 3 grand bike due to milage .. i got 5 grand .

Big it up .. they do look at like for like .. i recon they check ebay to see what a similar bike would go for and offer you that !

Over all i was impressed as there was no way my bike was worth what i got paid for it .

Just been supplied with a courtesy bike until my claim is settled even though I've only just managed to put my own socks on this morning!!
The assessment by the third party insurers is due to take place next week so I expect the ongoing costs of the hire bike and the storage costs etc will mean this won't drag on for too much longer.
Just hope the 3rd party insurers accept all the evidence I've collated to substantiate the higher value for my rare bike and sort out a new lid and some replacement clothing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back