Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Fast and Furious button...

weejimmy

So I was reading a review of the new Cayenne in Autocar and they mentioned the 20s overboost button in the middle of the sports mode selector thingy ... and I thought "Oh yeah, my C4 GTS has one of those - I must try it again!".

Which got me thinking, how many people actually use the feature regularly? It just always feels a bit naff/contrived to me! It reminds me of the Japanese team in the Canonball run hitting their Nitro button! Not once have I ever thought, right I could do with going nutter fast for the next 17 seconds. It never crossed my mind to use it.

TBH I was surprised the button still worked on mine as I don't think I'd pressed it in a year! :oops:

weejimmy said:
So I was reading a review of the new Cayenne in Autocar and they mentioned the 20s overboost button in the middle of the sports mode selector thingy ... and I thought "Oh yeah, my C4 GTS has one of those - I must try it again!".

Which got me thinking, how many people actually use the feature regularly? It just always feels a bit naff/contrived to me! It reminds me of the Japanese team in the Canonball run hitting their Nitro button! Not once have I ever thought, right I could do with going nutter fast for the next 17 seconds. It never crossed my mind to use it.

TBH I was surprised the button still worked on mine as I don't think I'd pressed it in a year! :oops:

I had a 991.2 loaner with this fitted. Bit confused by it. I know it's oversimplifying things but surely the first mod everyone would want is to set it on all the time and then use the accelerator to regulate speed etc? I certainly pressed it a lot :dont know:

Maybe it's the un-turbo button? engineer1 at porschce says ...
'we have turbocharged the Carreras"
engineer2 'wont that affect Turbo model sales if it's nearly as fast?"
Pause....
Engineer1 'We have invented the unturbo button ! They can only have all the power for 20seconds if they press this little button, rest of the time it's lower power '....
Pause
Engineer 2 'can they not do that with the accelerator then?"
Marketing everhears the engineers...
marketing manager " we will definately be having that button! It's Crack marketing, a few short hits are free but if you want to giggle like a dribbling addict all the time you will have to empty the bank account and buy the turbo model...which is the same car without the button so profits will rise"

Must admit I mostly forget it's there!

I did use it a fair bit when I first got the car but these days on the rare occasions I use it it my reading glasses (perched on top of head) fly off and I think WTF!!!! :eek:

:floor:

mine's a manual 991.2 carrera t and i dont have the button in the middle of the mode selector :sad:

i dont know whether that's because it's a base engine or because it's a manual, or maybe the combination.

surely it should be possible to put the turbos into temporary "overboost" irrespective of whether base engine or manual/pdk :?:

I am currently smoking around in a 991.2 c4s cab.
Everyone knows that hire/courtesy cars are already the fastest :grin:

Guess what I'll be experimenting with after I post this ...

askgeez said:
I am currently smoking around in a 991.2 c4s cab.
Everyone knows that hire/courtesy cars are already the fastest :grin:

Guess what I'll be experimenting with after I post this ...

I'm guessing it's going to need a new button when it's given back :thumb:

Technically, I don't think it's an 'overboost" button, it just allows the boost to build faster (antilag) and runs a different PDK program. Not that different from being in Sport+, IMHO.

I tried a few times and like the OP, haven't pressed it in quite a while. Maybe I should give it another go... :grin:

Spent the day last week driving a 991.2 GTS RWD and 997.2 GTS AWD, the Sport Plus and overboost transforms these cars. In normal mode they feel rather boring to drive, however in sport plus with overboost they are a beast.

Launched both cars a number of times and they were extremely impressive, felt nearly as quick as my turbo, awesome cars.

Who said these cars would not be the same with a turbo?

They were certainly correct as it's a vast improvement in Performance and they nearly sound like a normally aspirated Car.

Hi,

I have new GTS coming shortyly and as you'd expect I've had a play around with this button and dial. The 20 sec. button is to give you the abilty to overtake quickly, ahem, if it's safe to do so, without having to wind the dial around from N to SP or SP+. Obviously if you don't overtake within the 20 secs. then it goes back into erm, economy mode.

It is useful as many a times I've been fiddling around the panel for my Sport Plus mode to do exactly this.

Thumbs up from me! :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back