Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 GT4 Vs. 718 GTS Verdict

krishcanag

So yesterday I test drove the 981 GT4 and been an owner of a 718 Caymen GTS the facts are below.

Speed wish the GTS is clearly faster.
Sound wise the GT4 is better but you only really hear it from 5k upwards.
Handling there is no real difference other than a bit stiffer of course. 20 Vs 10 but the steering feels lighter on the GTS.

My view is if you have open roads to blast all the way through the full rev range the GT4 would be the better car to have. Reality is on our roads instant power and acceleration is available in the GTS.

So, if you want a track car go for the GT4 else it should be the 718 GTS any day

I must admit having placed an order for a highly spec'd 718 GTS I have been wondering whether I should be buying a 981 gt4 instead... your mini review was interesting to read and kind of backs up my thought process. Also with a map the 718 will be a weapon on the road and track.

Thanks for sharing your facts but cars are about emotion as much as facts and personally the 718 leave me cold :nooo:

Does the 718 GTS sound better than a base 718?

spongebob squarepants said:

GTS is the 2.5 lump same a the S model. Base is 2.0 so it probably does sound a bit different. Does it sound as good as a gt4 or any cayman before it. Absolutely not! This is the only con of the new cars over the old.

I just bought a GT4 a couple of weeks ago.. Been a passenger in a 718. Sorry but the two just don't compare imo. One is a very well made everyday car and the other is a GT Motorsport car in the purest sense.

718 lacks soul because of that flat 4. It's pretty and fast but its execution leaves me cold too. Sports cars are about feel and emotion. The thrill of driving,, the noise is v important.

If you're looking for an everyday car I wouldn't buy a GT4. It's too much.

I would however consider saving a few quid and considering a 981 like this:-
https://www.harbourcars.com/used-car-details/Porsche-Cayman-U1850/

We're all different so maybe the 718 contemporary design is more your thing but for sheer fun and cool factor... weirdly the older car is better imo. Stick a flat 6 in the 718, that would be v different!

Attachments

• 4d306339_2efb_423f_b1fb_0aadeb6648d9_173.jpeg
    4d306339_2efb_423f_b1fb_0aadeb6648d9_173.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,462
jonttt said:
Thanks for sharing your facts but cars are about emotion as much as facts and personally the 718 leave me cold :nooo:

Potato, potato :dont know:

New997buyer said:
jonttt said:

Plonker Plonker :grin:

jonttt said:
New997buyer said:
jonttt said:

Plonker Plonker :grin:

Any discomfort i feel is for you. I guess a sense of humour just isn't your thing :dont know:

spongebob squarepants said:

Yes, the difference is less compared to the S, which I have driven. The GTS is louder and more pops, but it also it has a down side. If you drive it in normal mode no issue.
If you put it into sport, exhaust open and driv it around town it sounds like a tractor a bit.
But if you let it loose on open roads pushing it sounds great.

So the guys here like some rule book carry on about flat 6 and yes they are right it does sound better, but what is the point of a car that you cannot hear that glorious sound as it starts from about 5k and as it reaches 8-9k the sound is super, but the reality is you hardly will ever get a chance to hear it on our roads unless you want to be getting tickets. That is a fact. So what is the point?
It's only useful and you get maximum pleasure if it's on a track

Having driven it I would never buy a 981 GT4. That is not to say I would feel the same for the next version

While you're right the GT4 sounds amazing North of 6000 rpm, it's not true that you can't hear it at lower revs I'm afraid. With the sports exhaust open it's still sounds great grumbling around town and pulling through the midrange. It only starts screaming higher up tho I'll give you that.

^^ That depends entirely on where you live.

Some of us live in places where these cars can still be enjoyed without as much overbearing police/camera presence.

That said, whenever I visit my pals in the south, I wonder why they bother having quick cars at all, but that's a different topic altogether.

I've a 2lt 718 used as a daily and must admit the sound is naff inside the car but outside it sounds a lot better.

Cannot beat the 6 cylinder for sound though.

To all the guys who talk about "emotion"....A car has 4 wheels, somewhere to sit a steering wheel and a engine/gearbox of some kind.
I bet the same type of guys might say a E type Jag is glorious...when it drives like a bath tub

If you want real emotion drive a women through the gears she will give you far more emotion !!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back