Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cayenne 955 -restoring her back

swisstony

When we picked up our Cayenne S 2005 model, from the outside she looked pretty clean and in good shape but after a thorough examination on our driveway , we could see that she had had a hard motoring life and was in sore need of a lot of TLC. This is our first entry into the marquee and despite our shortcomings we felt we could manage many of the tweaks, upgrades, restoration ourselves. So detailed in this thread are all the parts that we have attempted ourselves. I am sure along the way we will make some school boy errors and some parts will need expert attention ( garages) .

All done on our driveway as the garage is full :) and we don't have access to a 2 post lift

As she looked when we collected her.

media2 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

media7 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

First up the cleaning !

I know a lot of people prefer the twin turbo ones (with a german rear bumper to accommodate ) but until the funds allow cleaning up the existing ones was the best way forward.
These were pretty bad when we got the car and it kind of let the whole back end down so armed with my trusty metal polishing kit I got to it.

Took about 2-3 hours per tip from removing them to putting them back on. Hardest part was removing the clamps because they were rusted on and so the big boy tool , aka Grinder, came out to budge them. Replaced them with genuine Porsche ones

Before

IMG_2378 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2379 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2380 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

After

IMG_2381 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2382 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2383 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2384 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Once I got started I couldn't stop :)

IMG_2387 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2389 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

And all fitted

IMG_2392 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2391 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

And the tools, though bear in mind the biggest tool (apart from me ) is elbow grease

IMG_2393 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Dirty engine bay !

Although our 955 2005 Cayenne S was pretty clean when we got her, the engine bay was a shocker. Now some people like a dirty engine bay as they say it shows it is used and all that crap protects the engine. We don't ! and considering I am married to a girl who has OCD when it comes to cleaning, I went to town :D

On my other cars I do a full detail on the engine bay as there are not a ton of these plastic covers but this being a Porsche and I wasn't sure how much needed to be uncovered/covered I left it pretty much as I saw it.

BONUS : one of the pictures it looks like she is smiling and like Lightning McQueen :D

Before

IMG_2365 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2366 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2367 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

After

IMG_2370 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2369 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2374 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Cleaning got a bit out of hand

Our Cayenne S looked fairly clean from a distance but its only when you start removing stuff you find out this girl has had a pretty tough life so far. We are not sure where she has been driven though a desert, some serious off roading or in some quarry but either way there is so much muck, crime, sand, soil everywhere that it offends my wife's OCD so muggins here is tasked with the cleaning.

Now I know some of you will question our sanity on removing and then cleaning stuff that frankly you cant see, well I think I gave the reason earlier, the OCD that my wife has So dont judge us too harshly.

One arch before

IMG_2504 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

and after

IMG_2505 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Another one before

IMG_2510 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2512 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Classy tesco bag I know, maybe I should have covered it with a waitrose bag :)

IMG_2511 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

And after

IMG_2514 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2513 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2515 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Now wheels. Ok they are not some fancy new 20" rims, but they will do for now. One of our biggest bugbears is tyre shops. When you get new tyres they just remove the old balancing weights and leave horrible glue and weight residue. After a while this is all over the wheels and just looks ..well crap. So you need to find a way to remove it all without damaging the paint.
You start with this mess

IMG_2517 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2516 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

With some special compounds, tar remover, degreaser, wheel cleaner and a liberal use of elbow grease you get this. Its not perfect but its better

IMG_2522 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2523 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Later on in the year might find some old wheels and paint them ourselves

Great effort - What products did you use? Got to take my wheels off soon for brakes and thought I may have an inner arch clean. Take you long on each one ?

Front bumper and what lurks behind

When we got the car it obviously had a front edge shunt to the passenger side and someone had simply replaced the front bumper and badly ! The shut lines were terrible and a lot of stuff seems to be missing from behind the bumper.

The trader was full of crap and said that it had no problems. We found out he was a lying toe rag so when we removed the bumper we discovered that it had
a ton of plastic parts that were either broken, missing or repaired by Stevie Wonder :)
Then they had sourced a second bumper and either glued bits back on or just tried to bolt it back. There were wrong bolts, tiger seal etc.

So we started with this

IMG_2524 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Dont think the shut lines are meant to be that bad ! LOL

IMG_2363 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Whipped off the bumper and you get this

IMG_2525 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

You can see the middle section broken, missing air guide and the other one was cracked

IMG_2526 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Broken headlight tray

IMG_2528 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

So cleaned it all up whilst waiting for the replacement parts to arrive

IMG_2531 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Then this stuff arrived

IMG_2466 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

The headlight tray is a pain to fit as there are four bolts and one of them is an absolute bastard

IMG_6095 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

This one

IMG_0439 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Anyone once we had fitted it all back, you go back to this

IMG_2532 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

and the shut lines are now back to porsche standards

IMG_2533 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

Next time bumps comes off, it will be to re-do the badge and maybe upgrade the horns as they are a bit feeble.

Hope you like

ragpicker said:
I think you've got some serious problems SwissTony, and OCD is the least of them!

You've got a proper lego problem! Crikey! :eek:

Ah yes someone has been browsing my flickr LOL. Yes apart from car nuts, we are also lego mad. That tends to be a winter project, something for the dark cold nights which as you know is about 10 months of the year !!

Though to be fair, its the wife, she is mad as a box of frogs :eh!: :eh!: :puh:

Milo72 said:
Great effort - What products did you use? Got to take my wheels off soon for brakes and thought I may have an inner arch clean. Take you long on each one ?

Cheers. I have a ton of products in the garage, do like a bit of detailing.
For the arches it is Meguirs degreaser, a couple of brushes, jet wash, back to black for the vinyl and also Aerospace 303.

For the wheels its a myriad of stuff.

Per arch ? from taking the wheel off, arch liner, cleaning and everything back on, probably about 1 hour. Though be warned, those arch liners are absolute sods to get off and on again. The material is so inflexible and you have to get the two plastic nuts over the captive bolts and at the same time get the plastic locating lugs on the edges of the arches. A two man job is recommended or just you on your on, a beer and some liberal swear words

ragpicker said:
You've got a proper lego problem! Crikey! :eek:

That Lego art is AMAZING :worship:

You should go on that Lego masters programme :thumb:

My favourite part of detailing. Great result. What products did you use and in particular, which dressing ?

s70rjw said:
My favourite part of detailing. Great result. What products did you use and in particular, which dressing ?

I lay it all out on my website which I created a while ago.

https://polishedswiss.weebly.com

But essentially as I didn't know how much water/product this engine bay could handle I kept it simple with degreaser, brushes, gentle water, engine cleaner by Autoglym, rags and towels and all finished with Aerospace 303. Love that stuff as it protects without being too shiny, more of a silk finish

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back