Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On the hunt for a 996 Aero!

GMG said:
...you could buy one and it be fine? However, there is very little way of knowing and I think this is the problem...if you have sufficient spare cash then you can buy one that you like the look of and if it fails then you can fix it and if it doesn't then you win...or why not buy a rebuilt one and remove the risk?

My view is that to buy without the resources to rectify a big problem (if one should occur ?) thinking that everything will be just fine is plain stupid!

But each to their own...

If I were the cynical type I would say that your talking up the failures and scare mongering to make your very expensive and recently rebuilt 996 seem like a good buy!

Jobbo, I drive mine hard, it did many trackdays this year, all with zero issues. - Yes you could get a failure, but you could get a failure on anything you buy, particularly if your buying a circa 20 year old car.

The failures are well documented, genrally by those whom have an axe to grind, however you rarely hear the praise, not because there isn't any but because people in general like to moan and complain.

As Marky said, don't be put off! The 996 is a great package!

Jobbo said:
I won't be looking any further unfortunately.

Life's too short to play it safe all the time...buy one, rag the pants off of it and sell it on before it melts at least :grin:

Don't let internet scaremongery put you off :pc:

:thumb:

...just to be clear; I genuinely don't give a toss about how I am perceived on this forum; I won't be another keyboard sycophant...my experience reveals the potential risks of buying these cars, one that whilst a significant inconvenience for me isn't going to break my bank...I genuinely don't care if anyone from this forum buys my car or not as someone will and quite how anyone,other than those with their noses or sensibilities impacted by my comments and observations, can objectively state that a 70k miles 996 with FPSH and a complete engine rebuild is over priced at £23.5 k is beyond me but you pays your money ....other people's decisions don't affect me !

a person who acts obsequiously towards someone important in order to gain advantage

I had to google it too :wack:

:grin:

Totally agree, go in with eyes open but don't let that distract from what is a fantastic car. You always hear about the issues as people like to complain more than they love to say things are all okay.

Saying that if your one that doesn't take risks then get down your nearest new car dealer and get in a new car as it's the only way your going to have piece of mind over an older sports car.

GMG said:
...just to be clear; I genuinely don't give a toss about how I am perceived on this forum

That's the spirit... :grin:
Good job really as you don't come across too well. Every post is a whinge.

GMG said:
....other people's decisions don't affect me !

They do if it means you don't sell your car. :bye:

...you are right Mary911; Porsche 996s are the most reliable cars you can buy,they never break down or suffer catastrophic engine failure...ever.

If you buy one and it ,by some miracle,should explode without warning then worry not as the fixing fairies will appear and mend it for nothing.

If the fixing fairies don't appear then altruistic fixing companies like,for example, hartech will offer to mend it for nothing more than a few sycophantic thread lines as all they do every day of the week is generously repair engines that ,for no reason that anyone can fathom, have broken...

So the moral of Mary911s story is just buy one because they never,ever break,and if they do it's because they are old so what did you expect;and please don't try to offer any advice because this will be gratuitously perceived as whinging by someone whom despite having shelled out many thousands of pounds isn't a true enthusiastic because this person lacks the capacity to ignore or rose tint any of these cars failings...

Better?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and doesn't add much credibility to your response. I've owned eight 911's over last 15 years. Three 997 and five 996. Never had a PPI and on average bought them about £1500-£2000 below asking price which I've then spent on them to get things sorted. Overall probably broken even on purchase/sales prices over the years. Never had any major problems although have obviously spent on maintenance and other improvements etc and maybe I've been lucky. However, if you want to mitigate the main IMS issue then get it upgraded for peace of mind. My current car has had this done by the previous owner, and I have had it done to two of my previous 996. On both occasions the old bearing was in fine condition but it gave me the peace of mind to drive them without too much worry. Some people just shouldn't go near old cars and I sometimes try to convince myself that I should avoid them but always come back to the fold. As said before if you want trouble free motoring buy a new car but its going to cost as much in the long term. I buy a new daily driver every 3 years and know that its not cost effective but I like to have a new car as well. However, my last A class was £31k and sold for £16k when 3 years old so go figure!!

GMG said:
...you are right Mary911; Porsche 996s are the most reliable cars you can buy,they never break down or suffer catastrophic engine failure...ever.

If you buy one and it ,by some miracle,should explode without warning then worry not as the fixing fairies will appear and mend it for nothing.

If the fixing fairies don't appear then altruistic fixing companies like,for example, hartech will offer to mend it for nothing more than a few sycophantic thread lines as all they do every day of the week is generously repair engines that ,for no reason that anyone can fathom, have broken...

So the moral of Mary911s story is just buy one because they never,ever break,and if they do it's because they are old so what did you expect;and please don't try to offer any advice because this will be gratuitously perceived as whinging by someone whom despite having shelled out many thousands of pounds isn't a true enthusiastic because this person lacks the capacity to ignore or rose tint any of these cars failings...

Better?

Except I've never said anything of the sort. I've said get one inspected, maintain it well, and enjoy it. If the worst happens garage it while saving for a repair. A repair that doesn't have to cost £10k.

You're never going to convince me and I'm never going to convince you. I've had 911s since I was 25 and I'm 41 now. 2 out of 5 have needed engine rebuilds. It's par for the course when you're playing with 20 year old performance cars. If this one becomes rebuild number 3, yes I'll be mighty pee'd off but I'll get over it. I won't spend the rest of my days crying over it.

You obviously thought or hoped you could run a one on a shoestring and you've realised you can't. You've then got your knickers in a twist and feel the need to hang around on a forum spreading the word that they're sh*t.

We all know the cars and know what we are dealing with. Yes they can develop faults that they really shouldn't, but like I always say and someone has said above, if you're not comfortable with the risks, buy a brand new Golf.
You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want a 300bhp+ sports car in a pretty unique format, you have to pay or at least be aware you "may" have to pay.

There's offering advice and then there's bleating on like an old woman.
Just sell your car and move on. Honestly... :roll:

Ok...so your advice is to cross your fingers and hope that your car doesn't break? That,in your case for example, only 40% need a rebuild and apparently you can get a Porsche 996 engine rebuild for about£3k...

And I am the one who is talking nonsense? Really...

:frustrated:

To an extent yes of course you hope for the best. What does everyone in the world buyng secondhand goods do? You research the risks, decide whether you're happy with them and to a degree, hope for the best, dealing with any problems IF they arise.

And yes depending on how major, minor or at what stage a failure is caught, it can be repaired for well under the standard £10k figure bandied around here.
Obviously it won't be all singing, all dancing with new liners but the engine wasn't that spec before it broke.
If the repair puts you back to where you were before the failure then that's fine by me. I do 3-5k per year so I just need a fully working car.

Anyway I'm not feeding you anymore.
You are the type of Porsche buyer/owner I cringe at. I've dealt with a few over the years. Scared middle aged men who want all the good that comes from owning a Porsche, but are sh*t scared of it costing them anything, because they've got clearance from their wife by telling her "They only go up in value love, honestly".
Then when the bills roll in you get the rolling pin over the head treatment off her indoors, then spend the rest of your days whinging on every single thread. :grin:

Stick to brand new Golfs and get over your Porsche experience. Leave it to those happy with the risks.

I'm not going to respond to your posts again. It's getting really boring.

...boring? Au contraire! I have found our daily conversation exchange entertaining and will miss them but all good things must come to an end I suppose...

Your insight into my marital arrangements are remarkable much like your insights into Porsche ownership and while I appreciate your advice vis a vis buying a Golf tbh I find them a tough bland thus might you suggest an alternative?

Looking forward to your next message.

GMG you come across as bitter and all you want to do is hate on the brand. - Your car broke, It's mechanical, get over it, move on!

How about not posting until you get £23.5k for the Tiptronic you have for sale!!

GMG said:

Better?

You're not well mate :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back