Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spotted: 911 AKO

Sundayjumper said:
nigel99 said:
We live in the same road then 8) Willow Tree Way :wink:

Yeah, let's call it Willow Tree Way :wink:

I don't really go to organised meets. I sometimes meet up with some guys I know from another forum, one has a car almost identical to yours and another is a regular on the 996 forum here as well - Y2K - who's just bought a 996.2 GT3.

I've been doing Autosolos recently, and I've got myself an E36 Compact (as you may have already spotted...) that I'm trying to get ready for some Targa rallies.

SJ

Where do you do auto-solo's? are you able to share the details of whats involved, format of the day etc - Cheers :thumb:

crash7 said:
Where do you do auto-solo's? are you able to share the details of whats involved...
Of course. It's not Fight Club :lol:

There's lots of events around the country run by local clubs. My club is Farnborough District Motor Club. Autosolos are probably the easiest way to start in motorsport, you don't need any special equipment (just a road legal car), and because they're quite low-speed the wear & tear on the car is kept to a minimum.

The format is usually comprised of four tests through the day. The course is laid out with cones, you're given printouts of them all at the start of the day and you are allowed to walk the course before each session. You get three runs at each and your two best runs from each test go towards your total time at the end of the day. The courses are fairly short, around a minute per run. It's a bit like an autotest, but always on a sealed surface, slightly longer, and all driven forwards. No reversing.

Cars are divided into several classes to try and even things up a bit. There's awards at the end of the day for each class and FTD, and for those that take it seriously (a minority, tbh) there's a couple of national championships you can compete in.

Some people think it sounds a bit lame, driving around cones in a car park, but it's good fun and to get a good time you need to be really on it, and consistent. And it's not all about the car. The event I did last weekend, FTD was an unmodified Ford Puma; the guy is very, very good at driving it. MX5s are easily the most popular cars being small, nimble and cheap. Rover 200 / 25 have a bit of a following too. My 996 is too big and heavy really but I enjoy it anyway.

And remember this is grass-roots motorsport, there's no glamour ! It'll probably be a windswept airfield or disused Army site, if you're lucky there will be a burger van. Take a packed lunch and a flask of coffee.

Some of the details will vary from club to club so the best thing is to find your local one and go meet them for chat. They'll have a regular club meeting in a pub somewhere and will always welcome new members !

nigel99 said:
The autosolo looks fun, but would just highlight how bad I am at driving!!

But that's the point - you do these things and you get better at them !

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back