Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange noise - wheel bearing??

Carrerascott

Obviously going to take it into my Indy but any thoughts on this noise that has developed.

The noise is a intermittent squeaky rubbing noise the frequency of which seems to increase with road speed but not engine revs. Think it is coming from nearside rear (according to the wife!) and starts from approx 25mph upwards. Seems to disappear for a moment if I turn the steering wheel to the right. Don't think is is the drive belt etc. as no noise when stationary in neutral and revving the engine. Not really that loud as I only heard it when I turned off the stereo.

Thinking a wheel bearing but could it be anything else such as drive shaft (understand that would be more of a ticking sound?) Will probably check to see if any stones trapped behind the discs but on previous cars this has been more of a grating noise

Thanks

:nooo:

I would describe knackered wheel bearing as a low pitched droning or deep grumbling sound:- Not intermittent or squeaky. - I've never had one go on the Porsche though.

Brake disc dust shield.

They rust around where there bolt to the hub and once they do they can start rubbing against the disc.

alex yates said:
They rust around where there bolt to the hub and once they do they can start rubbing against the disc.

I had exactly that on my daily driver a few weeks ago, the disk was very rusty and had "grown" enough to rub on the backplate, it sounded terrible :eek:

I put all new discs and pads on it, took about 4 hours :thumb:

For some reason Porsche discs can look ok on the outer face, but the inside face can be rotten as hell, as they were on my Boxster when I decided to change them last year :grin:

I had this a few years ago, turned out to be a piece of gravel trapped between the disc and the back plate.
Didn't make a noise all the time just at certain speeds.
Hope you sort it.

So wheels off this weekend to check - nothing loose and no trapped gravel.
Found a big domed head tack in the tyre though
:x
Luckily it was in the deep tread block part and not very long
Noise now disappeared :D

If i can just add to this for future reference without meaning to cause any offence as people do search for answers and will do in the future without any input from forum members ..

A nail / stone in the tyre will give a slow speed tapping noise , a very large nail will give a knocking sound ( it hits the rim and yes i have seen this with a 5 inch nail ) .. both will increase with speed , but it will be a tapping type noise .

A wheel bearing is a whine .. often it will be louder or quieter when cornering depending on which side it is .

This noise can also be caused by uneven wear on tyres or indeed the type of tyre .. its a drone / whine type of noise .

Again depending on the car it can be caused by diff bearings be it front or rear .

Glad its fixed though :thumb:

I don't know if the nail was the problem for the OP or not.... but I had a similar noise, which I've worked out what it is.

My car is a tip and the previous owner made a comment when I bought it about never using the handbrake as he always put it in park, didn't really take much notice of it at the time.

In the first week of having the car I would hear this grinding/rubbing sound at low speed, my first thought was brakes so gave them a good stamp but nothing changed..... I then tried lifting the handbrake slightly while at slow speed and as if by magic the sound went. :)

I assumed that because the last owner never used the handbrake it may have been a little sticky, so when I got it and yanked it on at every stop it may have got stuck slightly on.

So if it's not already fixed give this a try, if nothing else it will eliminate a handbrake pad problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back