Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche to End Diesel Production

New997buyer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45619994

The Porsche chief executive said the company was "not demonising diesel".

"It is and will remain an important propulsion technology," Oliver Blume said. "We as a sports car manufacturer, however, for whom diesel has always played a secondary role, have come to the conclusion that we would like our future to be diesel-free.

"Petrol engines are well suited for sporty driving."

Existing diesel car customers would continue to be served, he said.

Porsche did not build its own diesel engines, preferring to use Audi ones.
"Nevertheless, Porsche's image has suffered, Mr Blume said. "The diesel crisis caused us a lot of trouble."

Porsche is understood to be developing a fully-electric luxury car, with a multi-billion euro investment.

The first car ever designed by its founder, in 1898, was electric. It was rediscovered in a garage a few years ago.

The company's first diesel car was sold just 10 years ago.

Interesting, a chum who works at Bentley said they scrapped all the existing built diesel panameras a while back :eek:

Porsche used to say they would never do a Diesel .. then they did as theres profit there.

No more diesels ???? good .. i hate them , nasty smelly fault ridden engines with pigs Piss to try and make them environmentally acceptable !!!

35 years ago as an apprentise when the goverment said Diesels were the way of the future we all laughted in the workshop (truck appentise in those days ) .. we all new it was a joke .. took 30 years for it to be realised though.

Interesting post by Porsche VP of Comms on LinkedIn:

'Porsche has no intention of demonising the diesel engine – it is, and will remain, an important drive technology. As a sports car manufacturer for which diesel engines have traditionally played a subordinate role, we have come to the conclusion that we can survive without diesel models in the future. It goes without saying that we will continue to provide professional support to our existing diesel customers.

Next year, we will be bringing our first purely electric sports car to the market in the form of the Taycan – a vehicle manufactured via a CO2-neutral production chain and powered by green electricity from a pan-European ultra-fast charging infrastructure. By 2025, half of all new vehicles from Porsche may feature an electric drive – either as part of a hybrid concept or as a purely electric vehicle. Nevertheless, we will also continue to rely on optimised internal combustion engines. This is our vision for how purist, emotive and powerful sports cars will continue to play a pivotal role in the Porsche product portfolio in the future.

Our objective is to be a technological pioneer – we are strengthening the core focus of our brand and consistently aligning our company with the mobility concepts of the future.'

Agree with all the above.

You can't even buy diesel in many/most garage forecourts in California, they are way ahead of us with this.

A dirty, horrible fuel with no place being used by Porsche.

I'm surprisingly looking forward to seeing what they do with the electrickery technology now though, I imagine sub 2s 0-60 times as we have cars which use the zero transmission lag component of eV's to get them off the line before the petrol engine roars into action.

interesting times indeed.

:?:

it will be interesting what happens in the UK when the UK Govt changes/reduces/removes the capital gains write off benefits from a hybrid purchase

still the best selling type of Porsche from 2010 to 2017 did manage to propel the company into what it's worth today, so we should take a moment to morn the passing of the Porsche Diesel from new car sales....

On a personal level, I despise diesels, anyone that has to endure their fumes whilst cycling will tell you that.

Never enjoyed driving a DERV either, ciao!

I think diesel is appropriate for large vehicles like the Cayenne because of the low down torque. Yes electric motors have that too, but the problem arrives when you want to do a long journey. My 3.0 diesel Cayenne could probably get to the south of France on one tank if driven sensibly, but irrespective of sub two second 0 to 60 performance electric cars will need to recharge a few times with significant time penalties. I've considered electric myself and quite fancy a Tesla model S, but not until the charging infrastructure is a lot better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back