Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On the hunt for a 996 Aero!

...appreciate the advert plug, thank you!

£23.5k for an immaculate low mileage 996 with a completely rebuilt engine and 2 year warranty is a genuinely sound proposition for a potential new purchaser plus remarkable value for money looking at the current market...and of course a hell of a lot safer than spending£25k on the car highlighted herein

:D

Maybe, maybe not. The statistics are that the majority of 996 engines don't fail prematurely. You were unlucky with yours and I would be just as peed if it happened to me, but we all know the risks....
Surely having made the car what it is now, you'd be wanting to keep it?
Selling at a huge loss makes no sense to me. :dont know:

Back to aero cars :lol:

What kind of premium do full factory Aero cars attract? I have been told in the past 3-4k?

rdodger said:
Back to aero cars :lol:

What kind of premium do full factory Aero cars attract? I have been told in the past 3-4k?

Tricky one really.
If you had 2 identical cars side by side, 1 aero the other not then your probably about right.

Those aerokit cars are worthless unless they've had a Hartech rebuild. Avoid.

Fact.

I had one once and it went bad. Now I'm on a one man crusade to steer people away from them. Unless they've had a Hartech rebuild, like mine.

Think of me as the Michael Night of car forums. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.
And actually while you're on, add a bit of Chuck Norris in there for good measure.

Remember punks, I'm always watching from the shadows. Ready to pounce on anyone even remotely thinking about buying a non-Hartech'd car.
Remember that and we'll all get along just fine. Fact.

GMG mk2 be aware: :admin: FACT

GMG mk2 said:
Those aerokit cars are worthless unless they've had a Hartech rebuild. Avoid.

Fact.

I had one once and it went bad. Now I'm on a one man crusade to steer people away from them. Unless they've had a Hartech rebuild, like mine.

Think of me as the Michael Night of car forums. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.
And actually while you're on, add a bit of Chuck Norris in there for good measure.

Remember punks, I'm always watching from the shadows. Ready to pounce on anyone even remotely thinking about buying a non-Hartech'd car.

Oh great just what we need, another harbinger of DOOM!

GMG mk2 said:

:hand:

You related to George Eaton :dont know:

:thumb:

It did make me chuckle and go on a little nostalgia trip (loved Knight Rider)....

Back on topic: When I was looking, I wanted an Aero. Would be very tricky to determine the quantum for the Aero element. All the cars I looked at varied in terms of condition/mileage/optional extras etc. I ended up with a non-Aero car, as I chose condition over Aero kit....thinking I could add the Aero later
Now I have my non-Aero, I cant see myself adding the kit, I like mine as it is.....

Kingb4 said:
It did make me chuckle and go on a little nostalgia trip (loved Knight Rider)....

Back on topic: When I was looking, I wanted an Aero. Would be very tricky to determine the quantum for the Aero element. All the cars I looked at varied in terms of condition/mileage/optional extras etc. I ended up with a non-Aero car, as I chose condition over Aero kit....thinking I could add the Aero later
Now I have my non-Aero, I cant see myself adding the kit, I like mine as it is.....

Same here really.
I think the aero cars look nice. The rear spoiler is possibly a little OTT bearing in mind the relatively modest performance.
Sadly the reality is that aero or non aero, the engine will certainly go go bang pretty quickly and then you will be in a real mess.

So the jist of what folks are saying (on and off various forums) is unless you have a spare £10-£15k to spend on the almost inevitable engine letting go issue, don't buy a Porsche, stick to your Ford and keep enjoying them from a far.

I was going to ask about LSD/Traction control or lack of in certain cars but I have to be honest I am going off the idea of purchasing a 996 (Aero or non Aero and broadened my search to 997, which I have to say seems potentially even worse unless I look at a Gen2 car) as I really would like a car I can take out enjoy, do some shows and generally keep tidy and fettle with in the garage to keep me sane.

:nooo:

...you could buy one and it be fine? However, there is very little way of knowing and I think this is the problem...if you have sufficient spare cash then you can buy one that you like the look of and if it fails then you can fix it and if it doesn't then you win...or why not buy a rebuilt one and remove the risk?

My view is that to buy without the resources to rectify a big problem (if one should occur ?) thinking that everything will be just fine is plain stupid!

But each to their own...

...you could buy one and it be fine? However, there is very little way of knowing and I think this is the problem...if you have sufficient spare cash then you can buy one that you like the look of and if it fails then you can fix it and if it doesn't then you win...or why not buy a rebuilt one and remove the risk?

My view is that to buy without the resources to rectify a big problem (if one should occur ?) thinking that everything will be just fine is plain stupid!

But each to their own...

Jobbo, don't let our resident nay-sayer put you off.

Look at it realistically. If you buy a good 3.4 Carrera and have it inspected, then yes you could be unlucky, but if you are doing relatively low miles during summer for road trips and shows, like myself, you'd have to be very unlucky to experience total catastrophic failure.

It could happen but then just leave it in the garage until you save up for a repair.
You also don't have to go for a £10k Hartech rebuild. You can be back on the road for a third of that, if all you want is a working car, which at the end of the day is what you had before the breakdown.

People on here love spending other peoples money and GMG above has a real axe to grind because he's been on the receiving end.

As I've said to him he needs to sell it and move on. I've a feeling he won't stop there though and he's a mission to put everyone off these brilliant cars.

Anyone buying a 20 year old 911, who doesn't expect a bill or two is in for a shock. I paid £13k for mine almost 3 years ago and have spent that again I reckon. I could have spent about £1k if I'd wanted though, just for routine servicing.

You can go as intense or a light as you want regarding ownership, to a certain extent.

Don't listen to the broken record that is GMG. He's been stung and it sucks but some people just can't get over things. I wish I had his problems. :wink:

Oh, and I don't have £10k in an engine repair fund. I'm stupid according to GMG there, but I'm stupid and happy, as I'm flying about in an absolutely sublime handling, awesome sounding, great looking 911.

I'll deal with any breakages as they occur. If we all thought like GMG we'd never do anything in life.

GMG said:

But each to their own...

Never one to go for the Stupid option, more of a play it as safe as I can kinda guy I won't be looking any further unfortunately.

Thanks to all for their input though :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back