Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PROJECT HALF A CUP LS3 Swap?

Cheers everyone.
Yes I am the same Jay Renshaw who built the Corrado (resto mod as its called nowadays) with at the time a modern running gear, wiring, engine etc.. see pics attached.
That was much more a GT and show car and my intent with the Porsche is to build an extreme daily built to be just about practical enough to live with every day, but be very capable on the track given that I live close enough to Oulton Park that it would be a waste not to make the most of it.

My "vision" if you can call it that is to build a gentlemens racer. So classic touches and colours, but on modern underpinnings.
This will be a progression, with some big chunks undertaken at the beginning, then hopefully gradual improvements over time.
Overall the plan is to have a mix of standard/GT3 and Cup all throughout the car, but hopefully thought through and working together.
Engine will start fairly OEM with some track suitable upgrades (I need more understanding/research on this). Suspension will be as adjustable as I can make it, but still able to cope with UK weather (limited rose joints), but coilovers, camber plates etc..
Bodywork will be pretty much Cup, minus the fuel filler and retaining the steel doors for road protection as I will probably only run a half cage.
Interior will be a kind of clubsport spec with possibly a few unique cup touches thrown in.
I would like this to be a beautifully presented car if I can, but I have a lot to do.... :D
I am probably the most excited about this of anyone so I hope its interesting for everyone to follow and I know I have a hell of a lot to learn about the 997 and to be honest Porsches in general so I will have lots and lots of questions and I know this is the right place as it seems an open minded and helpful forum from what I have seen, like the Corrado forum was 14 years ago when I built that car.

Cheers

Jay

Attachments

• mine_174.jpg
    mine_174.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6,053
  • mine_3_133.jpg
    mine_3_133.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6,053
  • mine_2_198.jpg
    mine_2_198.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 6,053
A blast from the past! Do you know if the Corrado's still around? it'd be a shame if it was broken or whatever. I was a moderator on the Corrado Forum for a number of years and remember the shock waves your car caused at the time, it really was revolutionary.

Good luck with the 997, I absolutely love mine it's a great step up from the Corrado.

So if I distill that out, it's an extreme daily, well presented, classic colour schemed, gentleman's racer.

I'm thinking full leather vented buckets, maybe some houndstooth interior fabrics, integrated leather-wrapped roll cage, quiet exterior colour scheme in a nice 70s pastel, no stickers, stripes or contrast panels (too Outlaw), à–hlins, some derivative of the Fuchs alloys (1552s?), black painted Brembos and Cup2 tyres. Or some such. Sounds good.

And if it's even half as well presented as that Corrado, it'll be a thing of joy to behold.

Jay, heres my first tip to you , read fully this thread from ELA as he got very serious about dropping wieght on his 996 , he's been a bit quiet recently due to starting a new job. but theres a huge amount of info and tips for you in the thread.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137

hope you find the read interesting mate. :thumb: :thumb:

MaxA said:
So if I distill that out, it's an extreme daily, well presented, classic colour schemed, gentleman's racer.

I'm thinking full leather vented buckets, maybe some houndstooth interior fabrics, integrated leather-wrapped roll cage, quiet exterior colour scheme in a nice 70s pastel, no stickers, stripes or contrast panels (too Outlaw), à–hlins, some derivative of the Fuchs alloys (1552s?), black painted Brembos and Cup2 tyres. Or some such. Sounds good.

And if it's even half as well presented as that Corrado, it'll be a thing of joy to behold.

Oh my goodness Max, have you been stalking me or something?!? That is exactly my plan, almost to the letter!!!
Pressure is on now to actually make it real I guess 😀

Phil 997 said:
Jay, heres my first tip to you , read fully this thread from ELA as he got very serious about dropping wieght on his 996 , he's been a bit quiet recently due to starting a new job. but theres a huge amount of info and tips for you in the thread.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137

hope you find the read interesting mate. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil will have a read.

Outstandingly clean garage that, and that g60 looks amazing. Good luck with the project.

rabbitstew said:
Outstandingly clean garage that, and that g60 looks amazing. Good luck with the project.

It was a lot cleaner before the Porsche arrived 😀

Attachments

• b6e30503_9dd0_485a_8fc2_396b4c43d754_629.jpeg
    b6e30503_9dd0_485a_8fc2_396b4c43d754_629.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 2,874
Looks like a cracking project, can't wait to see the updates.

MC

JayG60 said:
MaxA said:

Oh my goodness Max, have you been stalking me or something?!? That is exactly my plan, almost to the letter!!!
Pressure is on now to actually make it real I guess 😀

Erm, nooo. Just threw a few thoughts around. There's got to be a line between what Singer and Theon have done (i.e. with lots of fabrication, extreme exterior mods, big/bigger budgets, massive skills) and an enthusiast can do if he wants to build a successful project with a really decent interior, a great paint job, and a decent set up underneath, and one tenth of the resources.

Sadly I have a hard enough time just doing some basic mods and maintenance. It just took me ages to fit a Sparco Evo II into my other car - a supposed "straight bolt on" (ha-effing-ha) with the floor mount and side mounts from Sparco ....

This is exactly my thinking and you seem to be on the same wavelength.
Admittedly I have previous with this kind of approach but it's very do able if the focus is there and the facilities.
There is no way I could do what I did with the Corrado 15 years ago to the Porsche now, what with work, kids, house demands if I had not built the garage I now have.
Fingers crossed progress is reasonable and I know having a build thread always pushes things along 😀

Welcome and looks like a great thread.
Thanks for sharing.

Jay, have you seen that someone is selling an unused OE Tequipment half cage in the 'parts for sale' sub-forum.

James

JayG60 said:
This is exactly my thinking and you seem to be on the same wavelength.
Admittedly I have previous with this kind of approach but it's very do able if the focus is there and the facilities.
There is no way I could do what I did with the Corrado 15 years ago to the Porsche now, what with work, kids, house demands if I had not built the garage I now have.
Fingers crossed progress is reasonable and I know having a build thread always pushes things along 😀

There are some amazing build threads (have you seen the DDK forum?) with some guys going a very long way down some rabbit holes (I simply don't have the patience), but you do need the skills, the attitude, a decent garage and a vision (and by the way your garage is very cool and very necessary). And a good feel for what you can get approved at the MOT.

I was planning to rebuild our garage (it's rotten), but the plans have gone awry. I think we've missed this summer's window, and a new scaled down plan (one workshop/store, one garage, with a double car port) will likely only happen next year. It's always a challenge to balance the needs of work/travel/family/friends/car/house/boat....

Anyway, throw some thoughts down, we'll see where it goes.

I think if I can target 300bhp/tonne that would be a good aim.

Focus is going to have to seriously be on engine work first, no roll cages until much later :)

Jay

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back