Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne 2009 gts subframe removal

petecorbs

Hi
Im a newbie to this forum and looking for some advice on a repair we are doing to a 2009 cayenne gts. The front subframe and engine support have both to be changed (damaged and cracked).
Due to other damage the whole front end is currently stripped right back to the engine block, both wings removed, wheels, hydraulic torque bar/stabaliser and wishbones droped off the subframe both sides.
My question is can the engine be supported on an engine crane from the top allowing the subframe and engine support to be lowered off the vehicle for replacement or must the engine be lifted out completely.

Any help advice or point us in the direction of an existing thread (i looked but couldnt see anything)
Thanks in advance.

The wings are not strong enough to support the weight of the engine with a brace bar alone.

I have only once replaced a subframe .. i had a stand holding the engine plus a brace bar ..

I dropped the subframe but unfortunatly the stand was in the middle of the frame .. i ended up very quickly lowering the stand , getting the subframe out then putting the stand back .

Scared the hell out of me .

You will need some way of supporting the engine and a brace bar to stabalize it or getting an engine bed and dropping the engine onto it whilst replacing the parts .

Not sure if an axle stand under the crank pully and jacks under the gearbox would help but either way dont try and use just the engine brace ..

Porsche instructions specifically say this so not just me .

Engine crane and you will need to steady the engine .. the subframe also has to be aligned properly .. there is a very expensive tool that porsche use .. if not try and mark the old frame positions .

Perhaps a combination of engine crain , jacks / stands and a brace bar to be safe .

Hi DeMort
Thanks for the reply, from your answer its good news as you have done it before so it is physically possible (ie enough clearance etc etc).

The plan will be to hold the engine with a 2 ton crane mounting it on the front by the crank pully bolt and on the top via the engine brace mountings and possibly a third fixing if a suitable one is found. Gearbox jack underneath to support the gearbox housing to the rear of the sub frame as well as chocks either side of the engine to stop any sway or movement.

Good tip on marking the sub frame and engine support this will be noted, we will take photos and post our efforts here for any future people looking for the same thing and wanting to avoid the several thousand pound bill a Porsche dealer would charge to do the job.

Thanks again

I was slightly different in that i was only replacing the subframe and not the engine brace as well also i was up on a ramp.

2005 Cayenne as well.

Either way though you plan seems sensible .. the subframe should come out ok but im not sure about the engine brace as ive not done that .

I would if possible not get under the engine and work from the sides as if the crain fixing to the crank comes off ....

Heavy jobs like this always worry me :(

Just for info the Porsche way is to drop the entire engine and front suspension out in one go .. crain off the engine then replace the subframe .. a hell of a big job.

Attachments

• engine_out_101.jpg
    engine_out_101.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 2,851
I have another question regarding the same car as the chassis from the Cayenne is basically the same as the toureg and the Q7 do you know if the engine crossmember or sub frame is the same on all of them or if its an exclusive Porsche part as it gives me a bit more scope searching for parts if they are the same.

Off hand im afraid i dont know .. i would normally look on any item for a part number .. if it is a Porsche part it will be something like 955.721. etc

VW part number and ..

7L053247 etc etc

Something like 60% of the Cayenne is VW parts though .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back