Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil misting by Throttle body

PGD

Silverstone
Being a glutten for punishment/a tight yorkshire man I'm attempting to change the Alternator/Starter cable replacement myself. And so far so good with that task tbh, the cable is just about off, just the pita clips behind the AC to get off and the cable can be swapped.

But while doing that, I've noticed quite a bit of oily crud buildup on the inlet manifold behind the TB. See the pictures below.

Have I discovered another problem!? :roll:

It seems odd that the oil buildup is only on the Inlet pipework to me, all the parts around it are dirty, but don't have the same oily residue.

Inside the pipework has a slight oily film, but not much

What's wrong here then guys? :?:

Oh, and any tips on cleaning the rest of the engine and bay up would be great too :thumb:

Attachments

• oil_misting_on_inlet_9971_469.jpg
    oil_misting_on_inlet_9971_469.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 1,479
I'm no expert by any means but it is very normal for the oil system to vent in to the intake. The idea is any oil vapour gets burnt up by the engine rather than being released in to the atmosphere. Therefore a small amount of residue would be quite normal.

I should have said. I'm not worried about the inside. That's a really small oil film in there, but outside seems excessive

To have that much oil I'd guess the AOS is on its way out, it vents directly into the intake but when the diaphragm is split it puts more oil film rather than just vapour into the intake system.

I would also assume the pipe from the AOS to the throttle body is weeping and this is causing the oil build up on the outside, there is an O ring in the pipes and these can start to leak.

The best thing to clean it all off with is carb cleaner.

The corrigated plastic tube from the AOS creaked when bending it back, like the inside had brittle oil residue.

Perhaps this is just a crack in the tube firing the vapours out towards the intake pipes?

That plastic tube from the AOS to inlet manifold just snapped off! Clearly very brittle and I suspect it was cracked already. I'll replace that and keep an eye on things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back