Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a 991 £37k better than a Cayman?

Buy a cayman with modest miles on the clock.

Possibly plan a load of eurotrips , NC500 , Wales...stick a few 000 miles on it
Not going to depreciate too much from £40k ? :dont know:

You might even keep for longer than a year, for fuller impact of 992 on used 991 prices/availability to filter through .

Good luck Terry, it's a nice problem to have :D

askgeez said:

You might even keep for longer than a year, for fuller impact of 992 on used 991 prices/availability to filter through .

Unfortunately you can't win on a short term own, then sell again trade in. I should know :grin: it would need to be buy cheap private? But buying and selling privately especially in the Porsche world is a nightmare.

Your just losing money for your new motor :sad: Ive had a few prices on mine and compared to what it would retail at theirs a big difference. 911v as ever have made a good offer, just need to think what to do, like Terry I have a stunning motor that I want to swap for something else, and really as I'm about to park him up in the garage for winter nows the best time :grin:

askgeez said:

We must have spent too much time together as my latest thinking is exactly that. :)

With the uncertainty about what motoring to Europe might be like next year taking the opportunity to plan a few UK trips has never been more right.

T8 said:
.......... I stumbled across a Cayman S that is really testing my 'fantastic sports car but it's not a 911' resolve to the limit. The car in question is in a very rare colour combination and highly spec'd but more importantly it's a year newer, lower mileage and £14k cheaper than any 991 I've viewed.

Sitting behind the wheel it didn't feel any different to a 991 and when I took it for a cross-country drive I certainly wouldn't have got back any faster in any other car.

My conclusion is that for £40k a 2013 Cayman S is a very viable alternative to a 2012 991 that would cost around £55k or an equivalent 991S that would cost nearer to £60k.

The internal conflict I'm currently wrestling with is whether to leave a Porsche shaped gap in my life for a while or to go back and buy the beautiful 'jump in and drive' sports car as a 6-12 month 'stop-gap'.

This was the 981S I stumbled across whilst looking for a 991S.

I left it at 12 noon on Saturday and, after much deliberation, rang up to buy it this morning only to find that it sold at 12.30 to someone who'd been waiting patiently for me to say yes or no.

I'm far more disappointed than I ever thought I would be but that's all down to missing that specific car.

The fact that I deliberated so long over such a brilliant example of a Cayman S confirms to me, once-and-for-all, that my next Porsche will definitely be a 991.

What colour is that T8? Sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

"The fact that I deliberated so long over such a brilliant example of a Cayman S confirms to me, once-and-for-all, that my next Porsche will definitely be a 991."

Interesting how you interpret it that way. The fact that you tried to buy a Cayman, confirms to me that the Cayman is the car for you.

It's Amaranth Red. The combination of it and the two-tone agate grey/pebble interior won me over and at £39,995 I just had to view it.

After 90 minutes with it on Saturday I couldn't bring myself to say yes. At 10.30 this morning I finally made the decision only to find that it had actually been taken out of my control almost as soon as I'd walked away.

Until I saw that one (on the same dealer website as some 991s I was looking at) I'd never considered a Cayman S. After missing out on this one I seriously doubt that I ever will again.

Terry - keep looking! And make sure you get one with switchable Sports Exhaust! It really is the 'Fun Button'!!

Sorry to hear it T8. You will get into the right car soon enough.

Cayman 981S - Amaranth Red

T8 said:
T8 said:
.......... I stumbled across a Cayman S that is really testing my 'fantastic sports car but it's not a 911' resolve to the limit. The car in question is in a very rare colour combination and highly spec'd but more importantly it's a year newer, lower mileage and £14k cheaper than any 991 I've viewed.

Sitting behind the wheel it didn't feel any different to a 991 and when I took it for a cross-country drive I certainly wouldn't have got back any faster in any other car.

My conclusion is that for £40k a 2013 Cayman S is a very viable alternative to a 2012 991 that would cost around £55k or an equivalent 991S that would cost nearer to £60k.

The internal conflict I'm currently wrestling with is whether to leave a Porsche shaped gap in my life for a while or to go back and buy the beautiful 'jump in and drive' sports car as a 6-12 month 'stop-gap'.

This was the 981S I stumbled across whilst looking for a 991S.

I left it at 12 noon on Saturday and, after much deliberation, rang up to buy it this morning only to find that it sold at 12.30 to someone who'd been waiting patiently for me to say yes or no.

I'm far more disappointed than I ever thought I would be but that's all down to missing that specific car.

The fact that I deliberated so long over such a brilliant example of a Cayman S confirms to me, once-and-for-all, that my next Porsche will definitely be a 991.

Hello T8. Was googling amaranth red Caymans and suddenly saw my car!
I remember you at Cridfords and was certain you were going to take it that day. If you were ever interested in another crack at it (I have never seen another like it) would be happy to give you a shout when I decide to sell it.

What did you get in the end?

Attachments

• screenshot_20191210_000704_01_100.jpg
    screenshot_20191210_000704_01_100.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,685
Re: Cayman 981S - Amaranth Red

Mungeam said:
Hello T8. Was googling amaranth red Caymans and suddenly saw my car!
I remember you at Cridfords and was certain you were going to take it that day. If you were ever interested in another crack at it (I have never seen another like it) would be happy to give you a shout when I decide to sell it.

What did you get in the end?

LOL. Small world Mungeam. :D

Even smaller if I was to tell you that I saw you (and your 'new' car) at OPC
Sidcup open day a few weeks afterwards. I was going to say hello but you'd gone by the time I finished gassing with my regular crowd.

I hope that you're enjoying her but, as predicted, I've never looked at another Cayman with a view to buying since.

For my 2019 driving season I stuck with my trusty 'Red' and put another 6k miles on her.

I think we'll be together for a while yet.

ps. :welcome: to 911uk.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

At some point I will need to scratch that 911 itch. So this forum will likely be invaluable.

Great looking car T8.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back