Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When is it better to give up ?

They are great man maths Phil 997! I like those a lot. Great reasoning and it even makes sense!

As a newby to 911's I feel like I'm reading story's like this all the time, which really doesn't inspire confidence!

Thanks everyone for the help. It has been great to have this forum for advice.

Will do the finances, and figure out a way to pay :(

davirus82 said:
Thanks everyone for the help. It has been great to have this forum for advice.

Will do the finances, and figure out a way to pay :(

I would also have a chat with Hartech about the difference in cost to rebuild as is versus the cost to rebuild as a Hartech 3.9 which I am sure would make it even more interesting to future buyers after you have finished have fun with it. :thumb:

Just to support Phil's man maths calculator, just bear this in mind.....

A middling spec BMW 4 Series would cost you £480 a month on a 2 year deal that equates to £11520 for the 2 years
For the year 3 & 4 you decided to go for a half decent spec'd E Class AMG @ £562 that's £13488 in total for your new Merc.

Over 4 years you just spent £25008 and now you have no car to show for your £25k, so that's £6252 per year on average.

Clearly your Porsche isn't a new car but going back to Phil's Man Maths If you consider MFP's Lease Calculator then you even further better off with your Harlech machine than even Phil would have you
:bandit:

Main Force Patrol said:

A middling spec BMW 4 Series would cost you £480 a month on a 2 year deal that equates to £11520 for the 2 years
For the year 3 & 4 you decided to go for a half decent spec'd E Class AMG @ £562 that's £13488 in total for your new Merc.

Over 4 years you just spent £25008 and now you have no car to show for your £25k, so that's £6252 per year on average.

Clearly your Porsche isn't a new car but going back to Phil's Man Maths If you consider MFP's Lease Calculator then you even further better off with your Harlech machine than even Phil would have you

I am liking the MFP lease calculator, :thumb: :thumb: and we havent even started to cover how much you would have lost in depreciation he had brought a bmw or merc or the like for the same money as he paid for the 911 over 4 years it would be at least the same as the Rebuild is going to cost if not more and wouldnt have had the fun of driving a 911 for that time.

Main Force Patrol said:

This!!! Whole cost of ownership will still be cheaper after rebuild and likely that car will be worth around £20k for another 4 years! Good luck finding a solution that works for you!

Main Force Patrol said:

:bow:

MisterCorn said:
In terms of money I doubt it makes much difference. You had a car which was worth £20k, you now have a car which is worth £10k. If you fix it it is worth £20k again. The only thing for certain is that you are out of pocket by £10k. Sorry to hear that, but it is an unfortunate risk in owning a 996/997. Personally, if I liked the car and wanted to keep it I woild see it as an opportunity for upgrades. I would rather spend £12k to get it back better than before than spend £10k to have it just the same.

MC
agreed , if you buy another, there is nothing to stop it blowing, better to get a rebuilt engine, then another potential worn engine. What it that one went as well? My Hartech has ringed liners, new chains, bearings IMS it has to better than a 100k motor.

I'm in the same boat and also came to the conclusion that fixing it and keeping it for a few more years was the best bet. That allows me to enjoy an engine that is no longer chocolate based, and with a few other mods the car remains a tremendous thing. (2006 C4S with 70k btw)

davirus82 said:
Hi all, my car was taken to RSJ this week having been leaking oil like a tap. They think it will need an engine rebuild 8-10k worst case IMS :sad:

Car is in otherwise good condition i bought in 2015 (54 plate) from RSJ.

if it costs me £8-10k and the car is worth (around 20-25) is it worth it? any advice would be great.

Sorry to hear it buddy! I'm in same-ish boat and mines in Hartech now for the same thing!!! I'm gonna keep mine for a long time so while gutted, am now committed. It's the risks as the other guys say - if we could All afford new ones we'd buy them probably ....

Good luck

Dan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back