Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Laying up for winter

Infact i've just read my motor Insurance policy and it states the car must be taxed and hold a valid in date MOT certificate.

I just think its a grey area, thats all.

rob001 said:
I'm often away for a few months so when longer periods away I usually pump the tires to 3,5 - 5 bar, battery tender and a car cover (indoor garage). Nothing else and why should you.

Before I additional pulled the fuel pump fuse and when back after a few months, start without full pump fuse to build op oil pressure in tappets and pumping oil around prior firing up. To lazy for that now..

:agree: I recently put my car back on the road after 10 months storage with nothing more than a trickle charger, tyre savers (with slightly overinflated tyres as well) and an indoor cover. The car went straight to the MOT centre and came out the other side with no advisories so there's little really needed to be honest. :thumbs:

neil_911 said:
Infact i've just read my motor Insurance policy and it states the car must be taxed and hold a valid in date MOT certificate.

I just think its a grey area, thats all.

The assumption being is that you're using it on the road so it must be taxed and have an MOT.

The Continuous Insurance law means you have to insure a vehicle if you haven't declared SORN. This is the same as saying a taxed vehicle must have Insurance.

I hear-by name this thread the "Why are you putting your car away, you pussy you should just use it" thread!

There's one every year!

isysman said:
I hear-by name this thread the "Why are you putting your car away, you pussy you should just use it" thread!

There's one every year!

:agree:

yawn.gif

This is the correct Porsche way to deal with the winter :grin: :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• qxqjtgbw_755.jpg
    qxqjtgbw_755.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,725
  • 83779227_303.jpg
    83779227_303.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,725
Exactly! :thumbs:

NATfl26.jpg

tqpK0uv.jpg

I'm not one for wrapping it away completely until spring. You can't beat a nice sunny wintery drive!

I couldnt use it daily though. Takes away the special feel, Still get butterflies when the garage door rolls up and i see those curves :mrgreen:

neil_911 said:
I'm not one for wrapping it away completely until spring. You can't beat a nice sunny wintery drive!

I couldnt use it daily though. Takes away the special feel, Still get butterflies when the garage door rolls up and i see those curves :mrgreen:

:hand: No it doesn't!

Four and a half years of driving it daily (even every holiday I've had abroad within that period has been in it) and that special feel and the butter flies never ever goes away. :)

agree with Alex even as a daily that special feeling is always there . :thumb:

Quick question guys, I'm not going to use my Cayman in Feb and possibly March. Figured I might as well save the tax money if it's straight forward.

Car is off the road on my driveway. Fully insured by our friends at Classicline.

Can I just go onto the Gov webby and SORN it please? My concern is the monthly DD, does it need cancelling and resetting up? Or will they just not debit me for the months I'm registered as SORN?

Cheers :thumb:

And how long are the tyres happy to sit stationary? Read up over inflation earlier in the thread. I've not driven the car in around 5 weeks already I should guess!

I bought into all this SORN shoite the 1st year I had my car. Then I thought about it....

I simply don't bother now. I keep all documentation live- tax, test, Insurance. I don't take it out if the weathers crap or road surface is wet and salty. But you do get the odd beautiful crisp winter days. And the turbo's love a bit of chilled air :wink:

For saving a couple of bob on road tax I don't see the point. Just my 2 penneth, for those who like the hibernation ritual, crack on :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back