Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a 991 £37k better than a Cayman?

pierrebear said:
What about a Boxster Spyder? OPC West London have a beauty for £70k...I genuinely loved the look of that and would be sorely tempted if I were in the market for a replacement.

amazing cars - and IMHO they are really nothing like a regular 981 to drive. They also have that gutsy oomph you get from a 991.2S

Terry interestingly 2 years on and what does the market currently reflect .
the 991.1 has dropped to 55k and you can also find them cheaper than that .
the cayman has also dropped by a similar % so it was wise to wait the two years and it not be you suffering the depreciation . BUT and its a big Butt your turbo is now worth more than it was 2 years ago. :grin: so also a wise desission to hang on . BUT again what does that tell us about the next two years , yes currently the 997 turbos have flattened out but they are not going backwards , the 991 and cayman surely have a little more depreciation although I suspect not much for the 991.1 as I am still confident we will see the 991.2 prices drop past the 991.1 as it will be seen as the last of the big engine NA propper 911s .my gut feel is that the the 3ltr turbo cars will become the modern 996 and be a bit unloved as a used car for a few years . that inbetween period where electric is round the corner but those that dont want electric will want a big engined 911. this is just my opinion as I am the same as everyone else and really dont know what the furture trends will be . who knows £2.50 a ltr fuel may make everyone want the smaller engined cars :grin: but hopefully what you will grasp from my waffle is that IMO the very best thing to do is to keep your Turbo WATCH minimal if any depreciation keep the rest of the money in the bank , drive what will be seen in the future as the best all round 911 ever. failing that and you have a need to throw some money away then the next best option would be the 991.1 3.8S which I believe will be seen as the last propper big engine 911 :thumb: :thumb:

infrasilver said:
The Cayman depreciation would put me off never mind it not being a 911

I've had three new Caymans and a Macan this year and both lost the same amount, not really sure what you class as large deprecation

:?: :)

Phil 997 said:
the cayman has also dropped by a similar % so it was wise to wait the two years and it not be you suffering the depreciation . BUT and its a big Butt your turbo is now worth more than it was 2 years ago. :grin: so also a wise desission to hang on . BUT again what does that tell us about the next two years , yes currently the 997 turbos have flattened out but they are not going backwards , the 991 and cayman surely have a little more depreciation although I suspect not much for the 991.1 as I am still confident we will see the 991.2 prices drop past the 991.1 as it will be seen as the last of the big engine NA propper 911s .my gut feel is that the the 3ltr turbo cars will become the modern 996 and be a bit unloved as a used car for a few years . that inbetween period where electric is round the corner but those that dont want electric will want a big engined 911. this is just my opinion as I am the same as everyone else and really dont know what the furture trends will be . who knows £2.50 a ltr fuel may make everyone want the smaller engined cars :grin: but hopefully what you will grasp from my waffle is that IMO the very best thing to do is to keep your Turbo WATCH minimal if any depreciation keep the rest of the money in the bank , drive what will be seen in the future as the best all round 911 ever. failing that and you have a need to throw some money away then the next best option would be the 991.1 3.8S which I believe will be seen as the last propper big engine 911 :thumb: :thumb:

Spot on :thumb:

Phil 997 said:

There's got to be a lot of future truths here :thumbs:

T8 said:
T8 said:
I've always been a great fan of the 981 Cayman and in all honesty can't see why anyone looking primarily for a Porsche badge would spend an extra £37K for 2 child sized seats if they didn't need them.

Whilst typing this I've just realised that it's the above fact that will be my over-riding thought from the day! All notions I had of spending £55k on my next 'previously owned' Porsche will be seriously reconsidered in light of the fact that I could get a considerably newer and better spec'd Cayman for that same money. The whole 'great car but it isn't a 911' argument is getting thinner every day.

The '£37k extra for a new 991 over a 981' quandary is not one that I'll ever have to worry about but 2.5 years on from my original post I am now looking to spend £55k on a 991 and can't help noticing that I could buy a similar age/mileage/history 981S Cayman for around £40k.

Decisions, decisions :?

I picked up my Cayman GT4 yesterday... it's exceedingly good. The Cayman is raw, precise and everything you want.

From a business point of view I now really understand why they limited the numbers!!

Terry, either works as long as it keeps up on the Brooklands loop :driving: I haven't driven a 991 C4s but I have run a 981S briefly when mine was in for a service and it wasn't slow A to B on our usual Sunday roads. I think the 991 might be a touch more comfortable if that helps swing it with the Guv'nr.

Anyway, you're toying with us Terry, we know and you know it's going to be a 991 4s :yes:

Interesting thread resurrection...

Ragpicker did indeed get another Boxster, instead of the 981, it was another 986. And now, on reflection, I would place the 986 as 3rd on my list in place of the 981.

Spiderlane has gone from thinking he would consider a 'top end cayman' to owning a 986 S.

For me, the answer to the question originally asked is still 'no'.

You could ask a similar question too - is the 991.2 £85k better than a 986S?

The answer to that is a very similar one, but that goes to show just how undervalued those little cars are.

When it comes to comparing a new 911 with its contemporary Cayman/Boxster, I think I would choose the cayman/boxster as they are more 911 like than the current 911.

Or, 'more 911, than 911' as I'm becoming fond of saying.

:)

Phil 997 said:

This was exactly my thinking when I bought my 991.1. I wanted an involving engine to add to the theatre of a car I only really use at weekends or on road trips that is comfortable long range and fun when on the twistys. Being the right spec/colour made my decision very quickly knowing it would be the "next" car I would move from the 997 to, man maths worked to make it happen sooner.

I also thought that with the 991.2 extending the turbo into the Carrera range it diluted the turbo cache, I mentioned at the time it meant anyone considering a move from a 997 turbo to a 991 would be faced with an interesting decision. What would be the point of the "Turbo" model on 95% of uk driving when the Carrera suddenly had that extra shove that's so addictive. It simply becomes a choice that if exhaust noise is important then you went 991.1, if the shove is more important you could move to 991.2 for a lot less than the turbo and driving the, back to back is the only way you would actually know the speed difference.

T8, I'm nowhere near as up to speed on the Cayman models vs 991 that those who have owned them are. If it helps, from knowing how you used RED and the intent to increase European mileage with Mrs T8 I'd say the 991 is a better fit. The 991.1 you found was a very good deal compared to others available and looked the right fit, but it was probably too good of a deal if that makes sense (it highlighted the usual price difference of 991.1 cars to caymans). I'm sure the Cayman is a great car, but I think they are more of a B road blast. which is not what you bought into with the 997 turbo or what you are looking for next.

Happy to have rocks thrown at this but the 991.1 was my choice in your position, but that means I recommend a car in my signature like everyone always does :floor:

I blame porsche for making too many good sports cars.

:dont know:

Another thought is whether we will see a divide it the types of cars wanted in different countries i.e., the big powerful grunty engined cars may well follow my views in the UK and USA but the mainland Europeans who in general seem to be embrasing the eco concept more than us and the USA, may well show support for the 3ltr turbo type engines .

And what will happen with electric if the new electric 911 has the same or better stunning speed that the top of the range Tesla has and will that kill the value of the turbo cars that wont sound like a NA car or have that grunt that a NA car has , but wont be as fast as the electric cars . :dont know: :?: Will they become collectors high value cars in the same way as the aircooled turbos are now , as they are not as fast as a modern NA car but command huge values so its not about performance its more about the iconicness of them. :D I suspect we will see some interesting years ahead and is electric the future or is it a case of electric is the VHS versus the compustion engine thats the betamax but then someone comes up with a DVD that kills VHS :dont know: :?: or have I got too much time on my hands and overthinking it and should just ***** off to the pub :floor: :floor:

ragpicker said:
G2 said:
I blame porsche for making too many good sports cars.

:dont know:

:yeah:

Absolutely!

But apparently no parts or panels to fix them :dont know:

:floor:

I don't remember it being like that during the 996 to 997 transition, did porsche pull back on producing parts for the 996?

Phil 997 said:
I suspect we will see some interesting years ahead and is electric the future or is it a case of electric is the VHS versus the compustion engine thats the betamax but then someone comes up with a DVD that kills VHS :dont know: :?: or have I got too much time on my hands and overthinking it and should just ***** off to the pub :floor: :floor:

Taking it to the logical conclusion this guy has invented the equivalent of Netflix/Prime vs VHS..if he can fit holders for bacon sandwiches and Bugles I'm in :thumb:

https://youtu.be/-kB-BGMXxZc

G2 said:
Phil 997 said:
I suspect we will see some interesting years ahead and is electric the future or is it a case of electric is the VHS versus the compustion engine thats the betamax but then someone comes up with a DVD that kills VHS :dont know: :?: or have I got too much time on my hands and overthinking it and should just ***** off to the pub :floor: :floor:

Taking it to the logical conclusion this guy has invented the equivalent of Netflix/Prime vs VHS..if he can fit holders for bacon sandwiches and Bugles I'm in :thumb:

https://youtu.be/-kB-BGMXxZc

Me too mate :grin: :grin: hell of a way to get back from the pub :grin: :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back