Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After 6 years without a Porsche...

Yes, I'd be interested in how the cats change things. I ended finding a really well sorted C2 after lots of searching. Loads of new parts fitted including IPE manifolds and new OE silencers. I guess that the top mounts are an age related thing rather than mileage, hence my interest. My car is on 54k. Possibly a bigger job on a C4 due to drive shafts etc.

Cheers

Fastlane said:
stewhp - Spot on! You have a lovely car there too - do you know how many C4S there are in the UK in Carrara White?

:thumb:

Cheers Fastlane I suspect there's not many Carrara White C4S in the UK. I've only seen a cab that has been on Autotrader for at least a year now and not seen any others for sale or on the forum.

My car has been in storage for almost the last year as I have been working at sea. Only two more sleeps and it should be back on the drive and can then get on with the mods. Wheels, tyres, front grills and engine mounts will be the first on the list.

Well it's goodbye from me...

After some months of thinking should I or shouldn't I, I have sold my Zanzibar Red 996. It is being collected next week.

My reason for moving on was that whilst I loved the looks of my 996, I really missed the boost and sheer brute force acceleration of my old 964 turbo.

So, I started looking at 996 turbos (see my other thread) but after test driving a tip. with over 500bhp, whilst it was bloody fast, it wasn't that exciting.

I also missed the open-top feel of my previous Westfield which was great for the small Cornish roads, but lacked the power (only 120bhp) to give me much of a buzz.

So I started looking for a powerful lightweight open top car. I looked at V6 Exiges, as I had previously owned a VX220 and a VX220 turbo and had heard that the Exige was like a slightly bigger, but much faster, VX220. Having been warned by a dealer that clutches can let go in less than 10k miles and read that the build quality is still less than fantastic, I decided against them.

Whilst looking at Exige V6 videos on YouTube, I came across the Clarkson Top Gear review of the Ariel Atom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsYPXAJhxU&t=93s

I remembered it well and so started to read the reviews and watch the videos about the Atom, and decided that an Atom may well fit the bill.

After a 1,000 mile road trip to look at a few Atoms (including 911tom's old Atom which is for sale at a dealer) I was taken out by a guy from York (who has had quite a few Porsches) and my lord, it was exciting, especially without a helmet! I came home via the Ariel factory just outside Crewkerne in Somerset (only 130 miles from me) and had talk to them and a good look around.

After a long conversation via email, text and phone with another chap who was selling his Atom, this week I went up to the factory again to look at his Atom whilst it was being serviced there. After a good chat with the factory and the owner, I am buying his car - it is a 2008 Supercharged Atom 3 with a full Ariel factory history and well over £30k worth of invoices and upgrades! The current owner is awaiting delivery of a brand new Lamborghini Huracan Performante - his wife thought the Atom was too fast and told him to sell it and buy something more sensible!

Anyway, my 996 will be heading back to where its original owner lived - Cardiff, to join an eclectic collection of cars including a 987 Boxster, a Mk 1 Lancia Integrale, a Koenig XJS, a Ferrari 348 and five Nissan Skylines from R32s to R34s, plus many more!

Thank you everyone for all the help, advice and camaraderie - it has been great. :worship: I have no doubt I will be back with a Porsche in the future.

Cheers.

Tim. :bye:

Attachments

• img_67611_large_646.jpg
    img_67611_large_646.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 3,015
  • img_67612_large_195.jpg
    img_67612_large_195.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 3,015
  • img_67616_large_186.jpg
    img_67616_large_186.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 3,015
  • img_67624_large_838.jpg
    img_67624_large_838.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 3,015
Ah. It didn't quite hit the spot then?
Coming from a 964T as well, I know what you mean about the lack of shove.
Having said that, as an A to B vehicle I doubt the older car would keep up, certainly with me at the wheel.
I've actually driven my C2 a bit more this summer and really gelled with it.
Plenty fast enough for my mediocre driving skills, comfortable and refined on a long journey and so far has needed nothing apart from fuel.
Good luck with your new ride, I'd be interested in how it goes...... :)

Cheers

:bye: for now. I'll have a wager that you'll be back - sooner rather than later. See you then. :thumb:

T8 said:
:bye: for now. I'll have a wager that you'll be back - sooner rather than later. See you then. :thumb:

Doubt it....I've been in Tom's Atom and it's a bloomin' experience to say the least :eek:

Then there's the sound :worship:

You are going to love that car :thumb:

Wow! Quite a change. Definitely more of an adrenaline hit.

I'd love one but not to replace the 996. I doubt I'd enjoy weekends away in it much, but for a daft flat out blast, only a motorbike could offer more thrills.

Enjoy it. Bonkers car! :driving:

Best of luck with the Atom!

I had been looking at your Zanzibar 996 almost everyday on PH but I'm moving house at the moment so need to wait until I've paid all the related bills before committing to a purchase :sad:

I hope the new owner gets out and enjoys it the way these cars are supposed to be enjoyed :)

Thanks chaps - it certainly is a bit of a change! I will post my impressions once I pick up my Atom from the Ariel factory tomorrow. This will be my first drive in an Atom, only been a passenger so far and even the factory won't allow test drives any more, as I think there have been a few hairy moments with first time drivers. The record for a new owner writing off their brand new Atom was 10 miles after collecting it from the factory...

I have to say, it is really nice dealing directly with the people who manufacture your car - not something that would ever happen with Porsche, at least not unless you have bought a lot of new Porsches over many years.

If I could afford to keep Zanzibar too, or even better buy a Zanzibar GT3 instead, then I would.

For those interested in the 996 market & pricing, it sold for well above £20k and I have several interested parties who were waiting in case the sale fell through.

Fastlane said:
For those interested in the 996 market & pricing, it sold for well above £20k and I have several interested parties who were waiting in case the sale fell through.

Good luck with the Atom Tim!

I was one of the group interested in the Zanzibar 996!

Gutted I missed her, the hunt will continue!

Nice!

I've been a passenger in a supercharged Atom and it's quiiiiicccckkkkkkkkkk. Quite possibly still the quickest car I've been in.

Congratulations.

Jobbo - sorry you missed out. Good luck with your search.

Y2K - they are rather quick aren't they - should hopefully give me a "buzz" that I'm looking for, or else scare the sh*t out of me... :oops:

Fastlane said:
Jobbo - sorry you missed out. Good luck with your search.

Y2K - they are rather quick aren't they - should hopefully give me a "buzz" that I'm looking for, or else scare the sh*t out of me... :oops:

Good one with the Atom. Now that's an itch to scratch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back