Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a 991 £37k better than a Cayman?

It would be a Cayman for me. 991.2 is the dogs gonads though :roll:

isysman said:
I've been saying along these lines for years. Coming from Bxsters albeit a 986 and 987 my first 911 experience in my old 3.8S cab wasn't great. I never gelled with the car and sold it after about nine months to get my turbo. And I have another 987 now as my daily.

If I didn't have the turbo I would have bought a new Boxster, no doubt about it. In fact I might still buy a new Boxster, waiting to drive one first.

Anyone thinking of buying a Porsche should think of them as equals as I think they are for the most part.

Absolutely worded perfectly, I'm lucky to own both (or work hard to own both) without a shadow of doubt the Boxster is better than the 911 gen2 cab. In a straight line the 911 is best, for comfort the 911 is best. For driving heaven the Boxster is best, for the Supermarket run the Boxster is best.

That's the truth in it guys, a 911 is just a badge to have owned by a select few, but a wish to many.

Sold the Cayman in 2013 because the Boxster is more versatile.

They are two different handling cars, the Cayman is more sure footed and will go around a corner without fuss, the 911 seems a little more unhinged and that's the part I like. The slingshot out of a bend is whats it's all about (and addictive), you can feel that one rear wheel just sooooo planted through the drivers seat.

I thought the GT4 was a great idea and I looked forward to seeing one in the flesh, I've seen quite a few in the last few weeks and they just don't look right, sort of out of proportion, but again Porsche are bowing to the customer, right or wrong? The GTS is the better looking.

After 993's and a GT3 for many years, I do have to say my current Cayman R is the best all rounder.
I do get the "it's not a 911" quotes from friends, but that just shows lack of education.
If you've not driven a Cayman R, GTS or GT4 you'll be in for a shock how good they are.
:thumb:

Every year I seem to post something bestowing the virtues of a cayman/boxter compared to a 911.

I would have another boxster in a heartbeat. Would it replace my turbo? No. But that because the turbo was the car on my bedroom wall and because of that I will always have one.

However, i'm always looking to get another porsche. I spend hours pouring over the classifieds.... the 996 and 997 c2's are great vfm at the moment etc etc.

The bottom line is that having owned both boxsters and 911s (NA and turbo), and having extensively driven some caymans, as an additional car I would always go for the 'baby brother'.

The best drivers car that Porsche made that I have ever driven is the 997 GT3RS. In second place for me is the Cayman R. Following that its the 981.1 boxster.

So, when it comes to getting an additional porker it will be a 981 boxster. It will get used more than the turbo, for 99% of the time its drives better and I certainly don't believe it is the car you have when you can't afford a 911.

However it will never give me the shove in the kidneys I crave that only a turbo can give. Whilst I only need that fix once in a while I don't think Porsche ownership would be the same for me without it...

Having had 911s for 12 years I was firmly in the 911 only mindset.
I looked round for a replacement but couldn't find one I liked
enough to replace my old one, then a friend suggested the Cayman.
Did I need the 2 rear seats....no they were used for luggage.
Engine size...Same
How often was I going to do the extra Max speed?....probably never.
Weight...Cayman lighter.
Drove one and handling was brilliant.
So I bought one. Is the 911 better??? only if you think so.

T8 said:
I've always been a great fan of the 981 Cayman and in all honesty can't see why anyone looking primarily for a Porsche badge would spend an extra £37K for 2 child sized seats if they didn't need them.

Whilst typing this I've just realised that it's the above fact that will be my over-riding thought from the day! All notions I had of spending £55k on my next 'previously owned' Porsche will be seriously reconsidered in light of the fact that I could get a considerably newer and better spec'd Cayman for that same money. The whole 'great car but it isn't a 911' argument is getting thinner every day.

The '£37k extra for a new 991 over a 981' quandary is not one that I'll ever have to worry about but 2.5 years on from my original post I am now looking to spend £55k on a 991 and can't help noticing that I could buy a similar age/mileage/history 981S Cayman for around £40k.

Decisions, decisions :?

T8 said:
T8 said:
I've always been a great fan of the 981 Cayman and in all honesty can't see why anyone looking primarily for a Porsche badge would spend an extra £37K for 2 child sized seats if they didn't need them.

Whilst typing this I've just realised that it's the above fact that will be my over-riding thought from the day! All notions I had of spending £55k on my next 'previously owned' Porsche will be seriously reconsidered in light of the fact that I could get a considerably newer and better spec'd Cayman for that same money. The whole 'great car but it isn't a 911' argument is getting thinner every day.

The '£37k extra for a new 991 over a 981' quandary is not one that I'll ever have to worry about but 2.5 years on from my original post I am now looking to spend £55k on a 991 and can't help noticing that I could buy a similar age/mileage/history 981S Cayman for around £40k.

Get the 991.
:thumbs:

T8 said:
T8 said:

Drive the Cayman. I love the mid engined Boxster/Cayman layout.

T8 said:
T8 said:

Coming from a 997 Turbo, you are going to lose a lot of horsepower either way. A 991 Carrera S with 400BHP seems seems a better move than a 981 Cayman with 325BHP.

Drive both back to back and see which you prefer?

What about a Boxster Spyder? OPC West London have a beauty for £70k...I genuinely loved the look of that and would be sorely tempted if I were in the market for a replacement.

Chappell Sports have one coming it at..... £83K

For a 981 Boxster Spyder!

:?:

T8 said:

The gap has now reduced to £15K - go for the 991. :thumb: :)

991 for me.
The slingshot effect of a 911 I find intoxicating. We have up this way a bypass with several large roundabouts and I love that feeling of each of them as I'm catapulted down the road.

911 everytime for me, I've a Cayman 'daily' which is a great car but it's no 911

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back