Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil cooler fan issue? Car running hot

Mine runs at about the same point pictured when at normal operating temp. It will creep up to 9 o'clock in traffic on a hot day (first fan point) and I have never seen it at the 10 o'clock mark as the second fan kicks in before that. It's all relative though as this summers 25-30 degree temps saw the car spending more time around 9 o'clock and much longer to reduce to the 8 o'clock mark when rolling which is absolutely normal.

I wouldn't even be concerned if it went above the 10 o'clock mark on a very hot day if the car had heat soaked in traffic for a long time as long as the fan was running and it didn't enter the red. I would just take it easy when rolling until temps dropped to the 9 o'clock level.

As requested - this was after a spirited drive from Wiltshire to London and getting stuck in some traffic towards the end which took me up to full temp.

Anything higher than this and I think something isn't working right in the oil temp system as it were. That having been said, one thing that I've surmised is that the system keeps on working to one degree or another and it is virtually impossible to completely overheat the car.

Pic attached.

Attachments

• 52f12fae_2d64_44f4_b4c3_1fb49bf8138c_505.jpeg
    52f12fae_2d64_44f4_b4c3_1fb49bf8138c_505.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 2,935
Like I said on a 30deg plus day it's normal to see higher temps than above with everything functioning as normal as it's all relative. Remember these cars will happily run in Death Valley where I would expect they will hover around the above temp even when rolling.

Thanks so much for following up with the pic.
I'm not sure if mine is that much different, perhaps a smidge higher after lots of sitting in traffic.
Your idle revs are lower than mine though!

When I was in Kuwait the summer temperatures would reach 52C, my car never went above the 9 O'clock mark, even stuck in traffic.

+1 for ballcock your revs at tick over look a little low, should be 800 - 850 rpm.

ATB :)

Attachments

• 800_rpm_806.jpg
    800_rpm_806.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 2,846
Re lower idle revs, the problem is that low revs will lead to low oil pressure when she's really hot ..
IE , expect to see 1.5 bar at 800rpm when the engine is properly hot.
If the revs are lower you may register 1 bar or even less, which will bring on the low oil pressure annunciator.

Aha - thanks for explaining that!! I was wondering what the detriment was other than possibly kangarooing more and risk of stalling. I think it's been like that since I bought it about a year ago but I can't be certain.

I'll get it looked at unless there are any things you'd specifically recommend as DIYs?

Hi PB it's defintiely worth checking out. It could be a number of things.
The rev gauge could be underreading (what is the lowest you've seen the oil pressure, if it's not ever gone below 1.5 bar then you should be golden)
Might be worth disconnecting the battery and getting the computer to start over.
There is a 'hack' for raising the revs that involves cutting into the ISV but I don't know if I'd fancy doing that, as it's possibly just masking another problem.
Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me will pop along.
Pickled Piper!!?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back